michael-ibk

Namibia_227.jpg

For some reason Namibia never had such a strong pull on me like many other African destinations. Not really sure why, it certainly has amazing landscapes and very good wildlife, but every time I thought about finally doing there was always a trip to Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania or Zimbabwe that came inbetween.

Not anymore, we finally decided to team up with our friends @xelasand Zvezda for a very classic road trip. The objective was to see a good selection of the iconic places Namibia is famous for, decent birding and a bit of safari in Etosha.

0351_Dead Vlei.jpg

Namibia_805_Lesser Flamingo-Bearbeitet.jpg

Namibia_2655_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

Even though we had a bit more than three weeks that's still not a lot of time for a huge country like Namiba. So we left out the South (Fish River Canyon, Quiver Tree Forest, Kolmanskop) and ultimately also decided against going up to Epupa Falls in the North (mainly we were a bit skeptical about the state of accomodations there after COVID). And since all of us except Zvezda were scheduled for a Botswana trip this autumn anyway it made little sense to do the Caprivi. So this is the itinerary we ended up doing:

• May 17th, International flights with Ethiopian Airlines via Addis Abeba
  • May 18th, Arrive Windhoek, o/n River Crossing Lodge
  • May 19th, Avis Dam birding, drive to Namib Naukluft NP, o/n Sossus Dune Lodge
  • May 20th, Soussuvlei, Sesriem Canyon, o/n Sossus Dune Lodge
  • May 21st, Soussuvlei, Dead Vlei, drive to Swakopmund, o/n The Stiltz
  • May 22nd, Walvis Bay, birding, reptiles, o/n The Stiltz
  • May 23rd, Walvis Bay pelagic, Swakopmund, o/n The Stiltz
  • May 24th, Drive to Erongo region, o/n Rock Painting Lodge
  • May 25th, Erongo birding and game drives, rock painting, o/n Rock Painting Lodge
  • May 26th, Drive to Cape Cross via Spitzkoppe, Seal colony, o/n Cape Cross Lodge
  • May 27th, Drive to Damaraland via Skeleton Coast and Palmwag Lodge, o/n Khowarib Lodge
  • May 28th, Excursion to Hoanib valley for Desert Elephants, o/n Khowarib Lodge
  • May 29th, Drive to Etosha via Grootberg, o/n Dolomite Camp
  • May 30th, Etosha West, o/n Dolomite Camp
  • May 31st, Drive to Okakuejo (central Etosha), o/n Okakuejo Camp
  • June 1st, Etosha, o/n Okakuejo Camp
  • June 2nd, Etosha, Drive to Halali side, o/n Halali camp
  • June 3rd, Etosha, o/n Halali camp
  • June 4th, Drive to Mundulea, o/n Mundulea Bush Camp
  • June 5th, Mundulea, mainly walking, o/n Mundulea Bush Camp
  • June 6th, Mundulea, o/n Mundulea Bush Camp
  • June 7th, Drive back to Windhoek, o/n River Crossing Lodge (where we stayed for the first night)
  • June 8th, Return car, international flights back home

This is a rough depiction of our route:

0001_Namibia Map.jpg

And a good map with all places visited here on my ebird TR map.

Rock Painting Lodge and The Stiltz were booked on booking.com, Sossus Dune Lodge and all Etosha accommodations via Namibia Wildlife Resorts, the others directly by email. Some communications mishaps aside, all a rather smooth process. Our car was booked with Safari Car Rental. Again, all very convenient and easy. They are located inbetween the airport and Windhoek and do include a transfer service.

The car was a bit on the old side but it worked for us:

0061_Solitaire.jpg

Joking of course, this was ours, a Toyota Hilux DC 4x4:

TR_598_20240527_141448.jpg.af78bf9acf53ecfd9a68623dce646247.jpg

Fortunately we avoided the mishaps of some of their other clients who are now in a very special hall of fame:

20240518_151855.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

We touched ground in Namibia around 13:00. Immigration was easy, but I was getting quite nervous when my suitcase would just refuse to show up. I had already resigned to the fact that it was a no-show but miraculously it turned up when almost everyone when had already left. Quite a relief!

Afterwards it took us more than 30 minutes to buy a SIM card. The staff members were competent and fast, but a lot of people were buying, it was quite a queue. I had done a bit of research about an eSim but it seems those available will not be of much use outside towns. Later, the instructions about how (not) to use our car were quite thorough. It was already 16:30 when we finally reached our first stop.

20240518_182245.jpg

River Crossing Lodge was pleasant. It is conveniently located between the airport and the city, has nice rooms, good food and beautiful surroundings. Very good value for money.

0003_River Crossing Lodge.jpg

20240518_195001.jpg

0002_River Crossing Lodge.jpg

0010_River Crossing Lodge.jpg

When I came to my room I found out again that there is no limit to my stupidity. For some reason I had left the key to my suitcase lock in the car (because I had cleverly decided I would not need my bunc of keys on holiday). Fortunately the lodge caretaker helped me out, and cut apart the lock with a disc grinder.

Ok, problems solved, out with the camera finally. Basically the very first bird I saw - Red-eyed Bulbul:

Namibia_001_Black-fronted Bulbul-Bearbeitet.jpg

Namibia_095_Rock Martin-Bearbeitet.jpg

Rock Martin, also very common.

0009_River Crossing Lodge.jpg

Windhoek in the distance.

michael-ibk

I had seen on ebird that there was a good birding place nearby, and so we spent two hours or so next morning there, just a 15 minutes drive from our lodge. Avis Dam:

0027_Avis Dam.jpg

Namibia has been suffering through a terrible drought in the last years, and places with freshwater are very scarce. A magnet for birds, we had a productive photo session here.

Namibia_022_Hamerkop-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg

Hamerkop

Namibia_034_Southern Cordon-Bleu-Bearbeitet.jpg

Blue Waxbill and Green-winged Pytilia

Namibia_054_Violet-eared Waxbill-Bearbeitet.jpg

Violet-eared Waxbill

Namibia_057_Chestnut-vented Warbler-Bearbeitet.jpg

Chestnut-vented Warbler

Namibia_062_Familiar Chat-Bearbeitet.jpg

Familiar Chat. A fitting name, at least here in Namiba, they are everywhere.

Namibia_068_Black-Chested Prinia-Bearbeitet.jpg

Black-chested Prinia

Namibia_077_Marico Sunbird-Bearbeitet.jpg

Marico Sunbird

Namibia_103_Red-headed Finch-Bearbeitet.jpg

Red-headed Finch

Security advice: Worth pointing out that Avis Dam is very close to the city. The parking lot is guarded, but they explicitly state one should not come to the dam after sunrise or after sunset. And especially for single visitors, probably better to wait until a bit later in the morning, when the area gets quite busy with families and joggers, most of them with dogs.

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)

We left the lodge around 11:00, now the road trip was starting for real. Our route lead us South, via the town of Rehoboth, and then South-West via the Spreeghtshogte Pass and Solitaire to Namib Naukluft NP. Shortly after we left the Greater Windhoek area it was gravel road only, but all in a very good state. With a few stops on the way it was about 17:45 when we'd finally reached our next top. About 320 km.

0036_Rehoboth - Spreetshoogte Pass.jpg

The landscape changed the more we got out of the highlands. Trees became scarcer and scarcer, the bushes lower and vegetation scarcer and scarcer. The only thing that somewhat spoilt this rugged wild emptyness was the non-stop fencing accompanying the road.

0039_Spreetshoogte Pass.jpg

Up on the pass we had our first noteworthy mammal sighting - Klippspringers. Always a delight to see.

Namibia_120_Klippspringer-Bearbeitet.jpg

Namibia_122_Klippspringer-Bearbeitet.jpg

0045_Spreetshoogte Pass.jpg

Whoever has their house here apparently really does not like people. :D

0051_Spreetshoogte Pass.jpg

The (quite steep) road here can get tricky when there's rain for sure.

0056_Spreetshoogte Pass - Solitaire.jpg

0057_Spreetshoogte Pass - Solitaire.jpg

Huh? What`s that? Google is your friend:

Nirosta built a tourist attraction feature at the “Rooi Dak Padstal” near Solitaire. The feature shows a Soviet rocket which supposedly crashed in the Namib Desert.

Namibia_127_Pied Crow-Bearbeitet.jpg

Birdlife was scarce, but this Pied Crow was a good poser at least.

20240519_154208.jpg

Very nicely painted car wrecks at Solitaire. Some people in Namibia are quite creative about creating unusual sights.

0065_Solitaire.jpg

If you find a petrol station in Namiba you better use. Solitaire is a classic "stop on the way" to somewhere place. The shop used to be famous for its excellent applestrudel but that is a thing of the past. The pastry chef is long deceased, and now the bakery is nothing special. Not bad, and certainly worth having as a snack on the way, but nothing to rave about.

Namibia_132_Cape Starling-Bearbeitet.jpg

Cape Starling

Namibia_136_Common Warthog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Common Warthog

0071_Solitaire - Sesriem.jpg

Clouds were practically non-existant during our trip.

Namibia_143_Gemsbok.jpg

The first of many, many Gemsbok.

0074_Solitaire - Sesriem.jpg

Namibia_157_Rüppel's Bustard-Bearbeitet.jpg

Rüppel's Bustard, one of my targets so I was a happy birder.

0084_Solitaire - Sesriem.jpg

Really lovely landscape, we stopped. And stopped. And stopped for scenery again and again.

0085_Sesriem.jpg

Finally close to "home".

0100_Sossus Dune Lodge.jpg

Sossus Dune Lodge. Not a bad place at all. One of its main advantages is it is within the park, so you have a headstart on pretty much everybody else when going to Dead Vlei. Which is important - I'll come back to that.

0089_Sossus Dune Lodge.jpg

0091_Sossus Dune Lodge.jpg

0092_Sossus Dune Lodge.jpg

0094_Sossus Dune Lodge.jpg

0096_Sossus Dune Lodge.jpg

The rooms are quite hot (unsurprisingly in the desert) but clean, spacious and comfortable.

Namibia_169.jpg

View from the veranda

20240520_141637.jpg

A very refreshing (actually icy) pool.

Staff were a mixed bag. Some were nice, some very obviously did not care too much. Food was so-so the first evening (buffet), but surprisingly good on the second.

TR_192_20240520_190416.jpg.5aac449d697017abed28730f34c81b9f.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

The plan had been to do Dead Vlei next day in the morning. For some reason the lodge won't let you book that in advance which was irritating. And then we were told the car was full for the next day, and we could only go in an open vehicle. Did not sound very attractive, mornings are very cold here and it's a long way. Ultimately we decided to just do it the day after which meant we were in a bit of a hurry afterwards to make the long way to the Coast. But it worked fine enough, so no complaints.

Namibia_175.jpg

So we were free to explore the park on our own. The road leading to Soussuvlei is tarred and in a very good condition:

Namibia_207.jpg

It's only the last 5 km to Dead Vlei that you have to traverse a really tricky and bumpy sandy trick. No need to do that yourself, even if you don't arrange to go to Dead Vlei with a lodge, there are plenty of companies offering transfer services at the end of the tar road. But getting ahead of myself, Dead Vlei was only tomorrow.

To be honest, I did not expect too much from this day. Ok, desert, nice, and I quite liked the view from Sossus Dune Lodge. But certainly did not blow me away. But it turned out to be one of my favourite days of the trip. Once you get to the sand dunes the park is so hauntingly beautiful, so different from everything I have seen before it definitely did blow me away. Far!

Namibia_177_Black-backed Jackal-Bearbeitet.jpg

Not much wildlife around, the odd Gemsbok or Springbok, and one or two Jackals.

Namibia_182_Black-backed Jackal-Bearbeitet.jpg

Namibia_185_Lappet-Faced Vulture.jpg

Namibia_314_Lappet-Faced Vulture-Bearbeitet.jpg

Lappet-faced Vulture

Namibia_200.jpg

Finally getting into the Dunes.

Namibia_212.jpg

Namibia_219_Common Ostrich.jpg

Namibia_223_Common Ostrich-Bearbeitet.jpg

A distant Ostrich - yes, the Desert IS alive.

0122_Sesriem - Sossusvlei.jpg

Namibia_311_White-Backed Vulture-Bearbeitet.jpg

White-backed Vulture

0125_Sesriem - Sossusvlei.jpg

michael-ibk
0142_Dune 45.jpg

Dune 45, one of the few famous dunes one is allowed to climb. A star dune, its name comes from the fact that it is at the 45th kilometre of the road that connects the Sesriem gate and Sossusvlei. Standing over 170 m, it is composed of 5-million-year-old sand that is detritus accumulated by the Orange River from the Kalahari Desert and then blown here.

Of course @AndMicand me could not resist going up. And I am glad we did - a fantastic experience, we were rewarded with awesome views and enjoyed a few minutes alone on the top.

Namibia_236.jpg

0154_Dune 45.jpg

Namibia_247_Wedge-snouted Desert Lizard-Bearbeitet.jpg

Fascinating to see that some animals are making it up here on the Dunes in this hostile environment. A Wedge-snouted Lizard I believe. Also saw some Wasps and beetles.

Namibia_248.jpg

Namibia_250.jpg

0156_Dune 45.jpg

Namibia_264.jpg

20240520_102121.jpg

0168_Dune 45.jpg

Namibia_265.jpg

Namibia_267.jpg

Namibia_268.jpg

Namibia_275.jpg

It was a lot of fun coming down. The best strategy is to just run. :D

TR_149_IMG_8717.jpg.daca90db409f78b0ab5207d7e13e89cc.jpg

0207_Dune 45.jpg

0209_Dune 45.jpg

Namibia_290.jpg

Namibia_300.jpg

We were lucky with our timing, when we came back a big group started their climb. Definitely would not have been so wonderful with all these people around.

Namibia_308.jpg

The rich colours of the desert really made an impact on me. Fabulous, fabulous place, a trip highlight for me. (But to be topped the next day.)

0221_Dune 45.jpg

michael-ibk
0229_Sesriem Canyon.jpg

In the afternoon we decided to go down to Sesriem Canyon. A convenient option, just 10 minutes from the lodge. Not as spectacular as the morning (and a bit too much people here for my taste), but a nice activity. And a bit cooler down here, also a plus. Earlier in the morning I guess there might be some birdlife to be found, but now in the heat everything had gone into hiding.

0235_Sesriem Canyon.jpg

20240520_160440.jpg

0253_Sesriem Canyon.jpg

Namibia_322.jpg

0255_Sesriem Canyon.jpg

0261_Sesriem.jpg

AfricIan

Count me in for this TR @michael-ibk, it’s very timely as we’re in the later stages of planning a family road trip for Sept’25 😊

A great start. Beautiful birds and stunning landscapes. And good company!

michael-ibk
Namibia_330-Bearbeitet_Dead Vlei.jpg

Next morning we had booked a trip to Dead Vlei. Left camp at 05:45 and arrived about one hour later. As mentioned before the last 5 km consist of a very sandy and bumpy track - of course I banged my head in the car. Since Sossus Dune Lodge are located in the park their cars arrive about 15 minutes before everybody else, and that made so much of a difference!

Namibia_332-Bearbeitet_Dead Vlei.jpg

It felt so magical being the only people in this wonderful place. Well, a couple with their kids was also in the car, but they chose a different walking route than us, Alex and Zvezda as well. Only a very intrepid traveller from Portugal joined us for a climb up the hill. Intrepid because he had come to Namibia without a plan and without a car, travelling on the back of trucks, sleeping anywhere. Much more adventurous than us for sure!:D

Namibia_336_Dead Vlei.jpg

Our first glimpse of Dead Vlei, the iconic former riverbed. Just to clarify, we were all free to go whereever we liked. We had 2 hrs 30 until we were supposed to rendezvous back at the car for breakfast.

0268_Sossusvlei.jpg

An almost surreal experience walking up the dunes before sunrise and seeing a Dead Vlei without anybody in it.

Namibia_340-Bearbeitet_Dead Vlei.jpg

Then the sun rose.

0271_Sossusvlei.jpg

0272_Sossusvlei.jpg

0277_Sossusvlei.jpg

Because of the height of the dunes much of the Vlei itself stayed in the shadows for about one hour after sunrise.

Namibia_358-Bearbeitet_Gemsbok.jpg

Two lone Gemsbok were enjoying having the saltpan all to themselves.

Namibia_351-Bearbeitet_Gemsbok.jpg

Namibia_378_Gemsbok.jpg

Namibia_359-Bearbeitet_Dead Vlei.jpg

The early orange light of the desert.

Namibia_366_Dead Vlei.jpg

Andreas taking in the view.

0330_Sossusvlei.jpg

Up there Big Daddy was waiting for us. The highest dune of Soussuvlei, about 325 m. Tempting to climb it, but we also wanted to make the most of the Vlei, so again enjoyed the fun of sliding down in the sand.

Namibia_403_Dead Vlei.jpg

Great to see your trip report and relive so many wonderful Namibia experiences. Excellent story and photos!

michael-ibk

Thanks @AfricIan, @TonyQand @PeterHG!

1 hour ago, AfricIan said:

it’s very timely as we’re in the later stages of planning a family road trip for Sept’25 😊

Let me know if I can help if you need any info!

51 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

And good company!

Indeed. The most important thing about a good road trip is to share it with good friends. :)

TR_89_20240520_072307.jpg.5930f319b60c402e162319439ba6c13b.jpg

michael-ibk
0342_Dead Vlei.jpg

Dead Vlei - not a Valley, the name actually means "Dead Marsh".

0344_Dead Vlei.jpg

The clay pan was formed after rainfall, when the Tsauchab river flooded, creating temporary shallow pools where the abundance of water allowed camel thorn trees to grow. When the climate changed, drought hit the area, and sand dunes encroached on the pan, which blocked the river from the area.

The trees died as there was no longer enough water to survive. However, some species of plants remain, such as salsola and clumps of nara, adapted to surviving off the morning mist and very rare rainfall. The remaining skeletons of the trees, which are believed to have died 600–700 years ago (ca. 1340-1430), are now black and scorched by the intense heat.Though not petrified, the wood has not decomposed because the area is so dry. (Wiki)

Namibia_410_Dead Vlei.jpg

0351_Dead Vlei.jpg

To me the Vlei actually looked more interesting when parts of it, especially the trees, were still in the shadow. The different light lines are really cool!

0354_Dead Vlei.jpg

Totally different ambiance when everything is well lit.

Namibia_433-Bearbeitet_Dead Vlei.jpg

By now a lot of people had arrived, dozens were walking around, and it became very tricky to get a shot without a person in it.

0367_Dead Vlei.jpg

Namibia_445_Dead Vlei.jpg

Namibia_450_Dead Vlei.jpg

0376_Dead Vlei.jpg

But after a while it seemed everybody had to go back for their arranged breakfasts. Us too unfortunately.

0380_Sossusvlei.jpg

0386_Sossusvlei.jpg

Namibia_459_Scaly Weaver-Bearbeitet.jpg

Scaly Weaver - I love their always grumpy look.

Namibia_462_Soussuvlei.jpg

Big Mama, another of the famous huge dunes.

0392_Sossusvlei.jpg

A nice spot to enjoy breakfast. This is the actual Sossusvlei, a clay pan, of roughly elliptical shape, covered in a crust of salt-rich sand. While the pan has been shaped over time by the Tsauchab river, the actual flooding of the pan is a relatively rare event, and sometimes several years pass between one flood and the next one.

TR_267_20240521_094242-2.jpg.a5c2392df0530ff807222de44b4b3336.jpg

Namibia_491_Gemsbok.jpg

Gemsbok are almost tame here.

Namibia_499_Cape Sparrow-Bearbeitet.jpg

And Cape Sparrows are always hoping for scraps.

pedro maia

Great start Michael, beautiful pictures of one of the most beautiful places I ever visited.

offshorebirder
10 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Walvis Bay pelagic, Swakopmund

I am writhing with jealousy!

Great start to this trip report - I am looking forward to following along.

10 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Klippspringers. Always a delight to see.

Yes and they always seem to pose nicely.

I've never been to Namibia and I know I'm going to enjoy learning more along the way.

Zim Girl

Been looking forward to this, Michael.

Beautiful pictures of the desert landscapes and dead vlei. They are one of my favourite areas of Namibia too

Miss Biscuit

As much as the animals, I love the dune photos (and the ones with both!) and the gorgeous night shot of Windhoek

Atravelynn

Namibia in May!  I hate the luggage roulette when the case does not appear.  But someone must be last.  Perhaps next time you pack a disc grinder. 

But you got there with the gear.  What a fantastic start. I loved Sossus Dune Lodge.  It put you where you needed to be when you needed to be there.  Outstanding results with the sand, the birds, and even gemsbok.  Stark, beautiful, almost unreal landscapes!

I’m really enjoying your fantastic captures of the landscape of Namibia. We have been four times now and the desert there is truly worth a trip as you found out. As campers inside the gate, we also got a head start and had Dead Vlei to ourselves for sunrise. A grand experience as you now know. 
Looking forward to more…

Kitsafari

Ahhh finally it's here. As expected, I'm much enjoying the brilliant photos of the equally brilliant landscapes and wildlife (& friends)

Peter Connan

Stunning photography, as always.

I am buckled in for the ride.

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)
On 10/6/2024 at 8:09 PM, pedro maia said:

Great start Michael, beautiful pictures of one of the most beautiful places I ever visited.

Thanks! Fully agree with that sentiment Pedro.

On 10/7/2024 at 1:49 AM, offshorebirder said:

I am writhing with jealousy!

Thanks but no need to Nate, while it was an enjoyable boat trip the number of seabirds was very underwhelming. I really need to do a pelagic in Cape Town sooner or later!

On 10/7/2024 at 3:44 AM, Caracal said:

Yes and they always seem to pose nicely.

I've never been to Namibia and I know I'm going to enjoy learning more along the way.

That surprises me @Caracal! Never made it on your bucket list?

On 10/7/2024 at 1:30 PM, Zim Girl said:

Beautiful pictures of the desert landscapes and dead vlei. They are one of my favourite areas of Namibia too

Thanks Angie, I would go so far and say it was my Nr. 1 place - never expected that.

On 10/7/2024 at 4:31 PM, Miss Biscuit said:

As much as the animals, I love the dune photos (and the ones with both!) and the gorgeous night shot of Windhoek

Thanks, we really had fun taking photos in the desert. As all regular STers know, many of these photos were of course taken by @AndMic!

16 hours ago, KaliCA said:

We have been four times now and the desert there is truly worth a trip as you found out. As campers inside the gate, we also got a head start and had Dead Vlei to ourselves for sunrise.

Thanks! Ah, did not know that. To be honest I am happy no campers had a headstart on us that particular day. :D

14 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Ahhh finally it's here. As expected, I'm much enjoying the brilliant photos of the equally brilliant landscapes and wildlife (& friends)

Thanks so much Kit!

Perhaps next time you pack a disc grinder.

Good suggestion, but I'm not sure if the airport security people would be happy about that @Atravelynn. ;-)

I loved Sossus Dune Lodge.  It put you where you needed to be when you needed to be there.  Outstanding results with the sand, the birds, and even gemsbok.

Exactly, its location really is a huge advantage. And thanks for the nice comments!

11 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Stunning photography, as always.

I am buckled in for the ride.

And to you Peter, always appreciate your kind support.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)

We were in a bit of a hurry after Dead Vlei - had a long way to go to the Coast immediately afterwards. Checked out quickly, and on the road again. It's 353 km from Sossus Dune Lodge to Swakopmund. We left at noon and arrived at about 17:30 with only one petrol stop (at Solitaire) and a few very photo stops on the way. No particularly impressive landmarks on the way, but in a way I enjoyed the vastness, the never-ending emptiness of the landscape.

Namibia_515.jpg

0400_Solitaire - Kuiseb Canyon.jpg

0405_Kuiseb Canyon.jpg

The Coast was a very welcome sight. While the (gravel) road was good, Alex said it definitely is not fun driving after sunset - very easy to lose the track in this featureless environment.

In Swakopmund we had booked The Stiltz - a place we liked a lot. A lodge on - stilts of course:

0572_The Stiltz.jpg

0574_The Stiltz.jpg

Very comfortable, clean and spacious rooms with a good shower.

0417_The Stiltz.jpg

0427_The Stiltz.jpg

We paid a bit (not too much) extra for an ocean-view room. Very much worth it, the view was very nice indeed.

0429_Swakopmund.jpg

Always some Flamingos coming and going down there, and lots of other birds.

20240522_074635.jpg

The beach right at the lodge.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)

For the next day I had arranged an all-day birding tour (with some desert reptiles sneaking in) with Batis Birding Safaris. Very much recommended, we had a really nice day with our guide Chantelle Bosch (on Facebook here).

0432_Swakopmund.jpg

After quickly checking the jetty for Crowned Cormorant (a lifer for me) we explored the salines North of Swakopmund. Very productive, thousands and thousands of birds here.

Namibia_558_Crowned Cormorant-Bearbeitet.jpg

Crowned Cormorant

0451_Rosaflamingo + Zwergflamingo - Greater Flamingo + Lesser Flamingo.jpg

Namibia_591_Cape Cormorant-Bearbeitet.jpg

This hapless young Cape Cormorant clumsily tried to waddle into the shade of our car. It was getting very hot quickly!

Namibia_593_Greater Flamingo-Bearbeitet.jpg

Greater Flamingo. I reported 4,387 on my ebird list, trying to find out if the local reviewer is doing his homework. :D

Namibia_602_Lesser Flamingo-Bearbeitet.jpg

Lesser Flamingo

Namibia_616_Chestnut-banded Plover-Bearbeitet.jpg

Chestnut-banded Plover, a lifer and important target bird for me.

Afterwards Chantelle introduced us to her good friend Karla.

Namibia_657_Namaqa Chameleon-Bearbeitet.jpg

Say Hi to Karla! A Namaqua Chameleon, found in the Western desert regions of Namibia, South Africa and Southern Angola.

Namibia_685_Namaqa Chameleon-Bearbeitet.jpg

No, not two different Chameleons - she really was almost white on one side and more richly coloured on the other. Helps blending in, and also battling the heat. Thermoregulation, becoming black in the cooler morning to absorb heat more efficiently, then a lighter grey color to reflect light during the heat of the day — or showing both colors at the same time, neatly separated left from right by the spine.

Namibia_712_Namaqa Chameleon-Bearbeitet.jpg

The way to a Chameleon's heart goes through her stomach. It was fascinating how Chantelle found her - she actually called out for her, and Karla came out. This kind of sightings is not for everyone of course, but I would be lying if I said we did not enjoy it.

Namibia_640_Namaqa Chameleon-Bearbeitet.jpg

Namibia_665_Namaqa Chameleon-Bearbeitet.jpg

This species runs fast for a chameleon and will do so to evade potential danger.

Namibia_678_Namaqa Chameleon-Bearbeitet.jpg

Namibia_651_Namaqa Chameleon.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

• michael-ibk changed the title to A classic Namibia roadtrip