The endless plains of the Serengeti, and lots of babies in Ndutu. My first Tanzania Trip Report!

pscrimshaw

pscrimshaw

For the past few years, I've been trying to find a way to combine all of the major East African safari destinations into one mega trip. Budget usually torpedoed those plans in the planning stages, but this past March I finally decided to make it a priority and create the ultimate safari itinerary. I had previously gone gorilla trekking in Rwanda and visited the big tuskers in Kenya, (which you can read about in these previous trip reports), but now I had my sights set on Tanzania and the big one: the Serengeti.

Tanzania has somehow always escaped me when planning previous safaris, but I knew that I wanted to finally say that I've gone to the Serengeti. And after doing some research, I found out about this little place called Ndutu which turned in to arguably one of the best destinations for wildlife photographers in the world. 

I hope you all enjoy this trip report, and as always if reading and photos aren't quiet your thing, I've created a handful of YouTube videos so that you can enjoy some of the footage I shot as well. 

pscrimshaw

After saying goodbye to Amboseli, we headed to the border to cross into Tanzania. This was my first time in Tanzania, and I was excited to see how it compared to some other safari destinations that I'd been to.

The first stop on the trip was of course to the Ngorongoro Crater. It is a one of a kind type of place, and really felt like a Garden of Eden. An ancient volcanoes that erupted and collapsed into itself, forming a paradise for wildlife? Words can't even do it justice so pictures will have to do!

e328bb_f55d915b385441edaca29f8d6b1e39e9~

Early foggy mornings add to the atmosphere of the descent to the crater floor. You never know what you'll find

e328bb_1b3e3ff964b04958b7ac14608d60e82c~

Any photo you take has the crater rim as a backdrop

e328bb_a6e5430565bd40f195c25773de854347~

Lake Magadi is a huge soda lake in the Crater, which makes it perfect for flamingoes

e328bb_cbfa67ecc6234db6a95bd4636da84ee5~

Most elephants here are bulls, which seemed small compared to the expanse of the Crater

e328bb_abc0504c6b454a99b6a46072fe615b24~

One of the rarest animals to find here is the black rhino. Incredibly shy, but still amazing to see at a distance

A full day in the Crater was fantastic in my opinion. You can technically drive around the whole thing in about 2 hours, but every sighting you have has the giant rim in the background which really shows a sense of scale.

Edited by pscrimshaw

pscrimshaw

After our day in the Crater, it was time to visit the most famous of all parks: the Serengeti.

We made our way to the central Serengeti, where we would be exploring the famous Seronera area. Everyone has envisioned the Serengeti at one point: elephants and zebra and giraffe everywhere! With lions and cheetahs ready to pounce around every corner! But when we got there, it was like nobody was home. There might be a giraffe or two, maybe an odd elephant here and there, but otherwise the whole place was like a ghost town. We had to drive almost 2 hours away to find a cheetah that someone called on the radio, and on our last day we found a few lions, but otherwise it was probably the quietest safari I'd ever been on.

e328bb_3f83ec4c79914fb393e09fe394803615~

We would often come across crowded hippo pools, with some very angry residents

e328bb_a95324d654724b87a2cd5aad8ff240ab~

With wildlife hard to come by, I was able to play around with some landscape photography

e328bb_9f8bd045d995432a8b9fae78865782a3~

The main highlight proved to be this cheetah that had hunted a gazelle. It was 2 hours away but worth the trip

e328bb_df296f0bf74845a1a5f075951c3f87ca~

Wildlife was very scare, and outside of a few elephants most game drives ended with few photos

e328bb_28bd4e338eee4908a44a834e124d6b95~

This male lion on our last full day in the park made for a great portrait

Disappointing isn't quite the word to use, because being in the Serengeti is still such a beautiful and magical experience. Photographically though, I think maybe it didn't quite live up to expectations. It just means that I'll have to come back at some point, and hopefully have better luck then!

pscrimshaw

We decided to exit the Serengeti via the Gol Kopjes area. Historically this has been a research area for cheetahs, but it is open to visitors at an additional cost. And thank goodness that we did because this was what I had in mind when I was planning a trip to the Serengeti! Huge rock formations, endless short grass plains with wildlife everywhere! There were mega herds of wildebeest and zebra, and we were finding big cats with zero work. Lions on rocks, cheetahs just hanging out, quintessential Serengeti.

e328bb_c1f58d76dedf486a9e661e62961fa0e1~

The day started with these two male lions which made their way to lay in the sun on some kopjes

e328bb_fd0a4da2469a435eba56e613a5d97dc5~

Gol Kopjes is what people think of when they imagine the Serengeti

e328bb_2edff9de68af46e3a1ebf691980411e7~

We also stumbled across tens of thousands of wildebeest and zebra

e328bb_b4952602b2f14397ba5f800627aa5f7b~

This area has one of the highest density of cheetahs in all of Africa

e328bb_ff2fe79c43754b1caa60b65e831d4dc0~

Every kopje seemed to have lions on them

e328bb_9e69452c4578473f96e72edda7ce8f3a~

With fluffy clouds it made for some dramatic photos

pscrimshaw

After spending much of the day in Gol Kopjes, it was time for the finale of the trip in the Southern Serengeti area known as Ndutu. Ndutu is generally where the big herds of wildebeest come to give birth, and while we were probably a few weeks late to see that, it's still an incredibly productive game viewing area. With woodlands, marshes, and open plains, Ndutu is very different than the rest of the Serengeti. Plus the ability to off road makes it a photographers paradise. Every day we saw lions, and on the days when we ventured to the plains we always saw the big herds and several cheetah. It was a fantastic place to visit, and I'm glad that we saved the best for last.

e328bb_c8a7d07a42b141ea9d35ee88cf9367ef~

The ability to off road in Ndutu allowed for perfect photographic positioning

e328bb_5ed8737be6554cd884ad5f9209e8ca69~

The woodlands here was the perfect habitat for giraffes. Also for leopards but we never saw them

e328bb_48b528f07db94e0aa12d3042d72c0639~

The smaller residents deserve love too. Like this chameleon who took forever to cross the road

e328bb_78142050e75c4f2f8f24aab61bd77850~

I've seen secretary birds before, but never had any solid photos until now!

e328bb_2904c97d816b4815be3c764d4736e080~

The Big Marsh area was perfect for finding lions in the morning

e328bb_8391bbf7efbd4df7a7966fb35c3abe84~

I got to practice some panning photography with the huge herds of wildebeest that were often run by

e328bb_42e16f84297e45a6945b3f547a1825bd~

With the herds coming to give birth, there is also sometimes death. But that gives life for others like this tawny eagle

e328bb_6814366f4e464215a3c58e6bcaf2cbea~

Endless herds of wildebeest as far as the eye can see

e328bb_9c075b4525cb42c7ac3f7460efb2f19c~

Ndutu is famous for some of the more rare African animals. Like this African wild cat which I had never seen before

e328bb_bbd41a26171e4b7e91324f7b360878f8~

The short grass plains are the perfect hunting grounds of cheetahs, which we saw several times

e328bb_71beae3d91e7419cb75af978bbeb89d9~

The resident lions here also know how to climb trees. You think you've seen a leopard when really it's a giant lion!

e328bb_3f889df6bd78492cba080953456588a9~

With plenty to eat, these cubs have lots of opportunities to play and enjoy themselves

What an adventure! 3 different countries, 5 or 6 national parks depending on who you ask, and several thousand photos later, I can honestly say that this was an ultimate East Africa trip. I'm so happy that I finally got to see gorillas, get my dream shots of elephants and Mt. Kilimanjaro, see the big cats of the Serengeti, and so much more. I know that I definitely need to come back, because there is a lot left to see in places like the Serengeti, but that's for another trip. For now though, I need a little break because that was exhausting! Until my next safari that is!

Atravelynn

Crater video--You did the Garden of Eden justice in your video.  The flamingos were especially gorgeous.  Your persistence with the rhinos did pay off, though it would have been nice if they were more cooperative for you.

pscrimshaw

@AtravelynnThank you so much for the kind words! I suppose I thought that since the rhinos in the crater are so much more used to vehicles that they'd be more confident approaching the roads. But nope! Still very shy!

@pscrimshawGlad you got to see the rhinos even if they weren't terribly close.  I have been to the Crater twice (2009 and 2021) and neither time did I see them even far off, so my luck is not so good either.  I had much better luck at Lake Nakuru and Nairobi NP in Kenya and various locations around South Africa.  

Love your videos and pictures.  Makes me want to visit Ndutu for sure next time.  

Edited by soleson

These are so good.

pscrimshaw

@solesonthank you so much! The crater is probably the most reliable place to see black rhinos in Tanzania, just hard to get them close. I hope I get luckier next time

pscrimshaw

@ricmilesthanks man! And to think we crossed paths in Ndutu and never knew it

Miss Biscuit

You still got a good shot of a rhino in the crater! We saw them there but from even further away. 

Your shots are gorgeous!