July 2024 Botswana Mobile Safari

nluke19

After Mababe, we moved to Khwai for three nights. I've only been to Botswana twice, but it's been my favorite area even with the larger vehicle numbers. 

While en route to our campsite, we came across many lionesses lounging in the evening sun. They were laying down, paying us no attention. Emotions from one party member began bubbling to the surface, though. Whispered questions about their meat preferences, are humans one of them, kill methods (go for the throat for rip out your entrails while you're alive), etc.

A few minutes later, a lioness and male lion emerge from the woodland area. They walk past our vehicle and those of other camps to the rest of the pride. Male lion gives everyone a great photo opportunity and proceeds to lay down. Amazing sighting, no danger. One comment I vividly remember was him asking whether children go on safari? If so, why, due to the danger of lion attack? Attempts to calm him down were made, but then a vehicle with woman and two kids drove up. Kids began taking photos. He then asked a hypothetical question of what were we waiting on? Them to attack? And he asked to leave, which we did.

I think the combination of his fear and seeing children enjoying a lion sighting moments after saying how dangerous it was embarrassed him a little. He calmed down in the following days, since we purposely avoided lions and other large game. 

Despite the limitations, we still saw a lot. It was amazing. Some photos from Khwai: 

image.jpeg.a5b683c0c990da46e6d7ef21e3c68d64.jpeg

Lioness and lion emerging from the bush as the sun set for the evening.

image.jpeg.cb296bfed3c7bac5138ae05e98149989.jpeg

Lion walks past the vehicle. It was a great sighting, but also triggered one member's fears.

image.jpeg.afb74ceacf9cb9ca9a3e1a7fcc127fd8.jpeg

Lion stopped and surveyed his kingdom. Gave us and the other vehicles a great view. 

image.jpeg.18fb4df8566a654158fb082b8a08897c.jpeg

Nobody became a lion snack, and he proceeded to waltz over to the ladies and sit down. 

image.jpeg.636106a776dec2837255663683eef7a3.jpeg

Looking tough. 

image.jpeg.dbe2d7a737b89fa137c5137f4d3db7c9.jpeg

Malachite kingfisher perched on a reed, taken from a mokoro. 

image.jpeg.760774430cd6b1c95489457837f0c0d1.jpeg

Lilac breasted roller in flight.

image.jpeg.efd43cccc2f92f1b0a99b659416641e5.jpeg

Sunrise from the Khwai campsite.

Some more shots from Khwai. Leopards, little bee-eaters, and hyena pups in the den. 

image.jpeg.b748b799e83cefc949b9efa4b9446f4b.jpeg

image.jpeg.d10242cc7e9c64bd8c5da3974bb5d4d2.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5a85f3a70ded1067e7ce9dc8cbb9f61.jpeg

image.jpeg.24de0d006596ddc468a44ce654d9ac83.jpeg

image.jpeg.553f4d1510b0f7ca98b8fcf614bb1fff.jpeg

Atravelynn
11 hours ago, nluke19 said:

@AtravelynnYes, he saw all. He appeared be okay with cheetahs and leopards. Shouldn't be taken as like, as he'd look away. Our first lion sighting was upon arrival in Khwai, and that's when things went south. He asked what were we waiting on? Them to attack us? Afterward, it was decided to focus on other animals rather than cats. We still saw leopards and cheetah, but there less emphasis on searching. 

Oh my, oh my.  Though a predator, that hyena and youngster are just adorable and hopefully all participants could enjoy them fully.

Edited by Atravelynn

As I have just finished the major part of my own Botswana self-driving trip, your sightings and your photos are just so much more amazing! And one month does dry up the countryside 🙁.

IMG_0500.jpeg.37a46b888d531eab44e52c5b119487aa.jpeg

Edited by xelas

Dave Williams

You certainly took some stunning photos and had some brilliant sightings!

I'm lost for words thinking of F-I-L , the trip must have cost him a pretty penny or two as well.

Gorgeous photos, sounds like quite a trip. It can be tricky travelling with family with conflicting preferences, sounds like you showed a great deal of tolerance!

18 hours ago, xelas said:

And one month does dry up the countryside

that's true!

this is how Khwai area looks now:

image.jpeg.8c708594a2c972da13b00ac45bf46087.jpeg

Khwai in June:

image.jpeg.35fe96a807796666f0c7301d07afe6a5.jpeg

The sceenshots are from this website: https://browser.dataspace.copernicus.eu/

I was following the Okavango flood because I am preparing to drive there. The flood reached Maun in the beginning of August (Thamalakane river). You can see it also on pictures. It looks like more water now, the river is very good visible and dark. If you go on the website and zoom you can see it better. But everything else is bone dry. Very big difference.

@nluke19your trip was in June?

Peter Connan

Beautiful photos in the last few chapters @nluke19!