Introducing Our New Film: Kruger National Park - December 2023

JPS

Introducing Our New Film: Kruger National Park - December 2023

We are thrilled to share with you our latest adventure, captured in one of the most breathtaking places on Earth—Kruger National Park. Over the course of two incredible weeks, we immersed ourselves in the raw beauty of this iconic park, focusing primarily on the Satara and Lower Sabie rest camps. In this film, we've thoroughly documented the park's majestic wildlife, highlighting the grace and power of these creatures through stunning slow-motion footage. Our goal is to offer you a brief yet intense glimpse into the wild wonders of South Africa, allowing you to experience the magic and awe of Kruger National Park as if you were right there with us. Join us on this journey to witness the untamed splendor of nature, and get a taste of what makes this paradise truly unforgettable.

Warmest regards Johan & Natalie

_MGL3541.JPG

_MGL3551.JPG

_MGL3565.JPG

_MGL3578.jpg

_MGL3617.jpg

_MGL3628.jpg

_MGL3710-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3723-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3732-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3752-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3760-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3776-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3818-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3835-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3884-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3929-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3933-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL3967-Verbeterd-NR-2.jpg

_MGL4043-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL4079-Verbeterd-NR-2.jpg

_MGL4144-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

_MGL4187.JPG

_MGL4220-2.JPG

_MGL4421.jpg

_MGL4434.jpg

_MGL4483-Verbeterd-NR.jpg

KiwiGran

Beautiful. Thank you!

Lovely footage. Some interesting behaviour. 

@JPS  fantastic! 

For me especially interesting were oxpeckers in slow-mo. I mean I have never seen before how then "glide" on the skin of the enimals. I have also not seen bee-eater bathing in sand before. 

Some parts of the film were very emotional but also a bit sad because of the music, I think. For example, where hyena is comming. But the footage is excellent! You had these all sightings during one visit of Kruger? It's unbelievable! You should stayed there for a month? ;-)  Really great! 

Was is hot in December? I see, that there were some rains? What time of December you were visisting Kruger? Were there many tourists?

I see, you use chatGPT, right? I recognise the style of writing ;-)

Where are you this year?

Greetings to Natali.

3 hours ago, ElenaH said:

@JPS  fantastic! 

For me especially interesting were oxpeckers in slow-mo. I mean I have never seen before how then "glide" on the skin of the enimals. I have also not seen bee-eater bathing in sand before. 

Some parts of the film were very emotional but also a bit sad because of the music, I think. For example, where hyena is comming. But the footage is excellent! You had these all sightings during one visit of Kruger? It's unbelievable! You should stayed there for a month? ;-)  Really great! 

Was is hot in December? I see, that there were some rains? What time of December you were visisting Kruger? Were there many tourists?

I see, you use chatGPT, right? I recognise the style of writing ;-)

Where are you this year?

Greetings to Natali.

Hi Elena, thanks for your feedback!

Indeed, those were again magical moments in Kruger NP. It's still one of the best places for wildlife, and if you know how to avoid the crowds, it’s a fantastic experience. The video is a summary of our two-week stay there, but I agree, spending a month or more would be ideal. If it weren’t for work obligations, I could easily spend a year driving around Kruger.

December was quite warm, but the air conditioning is good everywhere. With a few extra cooling fans in the car, for when standing still, it’s manageable. There were plenty of tourists in December, perhaps too many, but you can avoid them by sticking to the gravel roads.

Yes, I do use ChatGPT a lot, sounds like you do too if you recognized the style! It’s great for spell-checking, optimizing text, voice control, gaining knowledge, and travel planning. Just like the younger generation, I'm learning and using it frequently.

I just returned in February from Kgalagadi, where I still need to finalize the film. This year, the wildlife sightings were a bit fewer than usual, but it was still enjoyable. 

I’m heading to Kruger NP for three weeks in October, then to Khutse and Kgalagadi in Botswana for three weeks in February next year, and to the Masai Mara triangle for three weeks in September. Lots to look forward to!

Cheers,

Johan

Dave Williams

That's a beautiful and very professional video. You have the right time frames for each subject and the overall length is spot on too so as to maintain interest. Brilliant.

I love taking video snippets, usually in slow motion too, but I find editing them a pain and consequently most never get to see the light of day. I need to try harder!

What equipment do you use, not only camera and lens but do you use any form of stabilisation? I guess most shots are taken from the car ? I have found a tripod is a major advantage with video.

As for processing, which editor do you use nowadays?

TIA

Dave

21 hours ago, JPS said:

I’m heading to Kruger NP for three weeks in October, then to Khutse and Kgalagadi in Botswana for three weeks in February next year, and to the Masai Mara triangle for three weeks in September. Lots to look forward to!

WoW! These are great plans! THat means you will be in Mabua, as well? Or wil you travel through Kaa concession to KTP?

22 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

That's a beautiful and very professional video. You have the right time frames for each subject and the overall length is spot on too so as to maintain interest. Brilliant.

I can only agree with Dave!

But what I would appreciate, if you, @JPScan give us some information about your trips - where you were staying, where the sightings were and so on.  Just an idea not a demand ;-)

@Dave Williams, @JPSperhaps, we need to open a topic in Photographic/equipment sections and talk about our experiences and ideas in film-making?

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I love taking video snippets, usually in slow motion too, but I find editing them a pain and consequently most never get to see the light of day. I need to try harder!

What equipment do you use, not only camera and lens but do you use any form of stabilisation? I guess most shots are taken from the car ? I have found a tripod is a major advantage with video.

As for processing, which editor do you use nowadays?

TIA

Dave

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.

You're absolutely righ, slow-motion videos require substantial data and processing power to keep the experience enjoyable. Otherwise, the process can drag on.

However, capturing slow motion at 120 fps in 4K with an ND filter, paired with a 400mm f/2.8 lens, produces amazing and intense footage.

Regarding the equipment, I’m using a Canon R5, and I’ve become a huge fan of it. The autofocus, animal eye detection, and internal stabilization, this combined with the lens stabilization, are true game changers compared to SLR cameras.

While a tripod is essential, I also rely on the GimPro MKII Door Mount, which, despite being a bit heavy, is perfect for video work. My neck certainly appreciates it:D!

For video editing, I use Magix Video Pro X14. It handles my footage well, including the necessary video stabilization corrections.

Here’s a quick rundown of my gear:

• Canon R5 Body
  • Canon R6 Body (secondary)
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 III
  • Canon RF 100-500mm
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II
  • Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8
  • GoPro 12

Cheers,

Johan

7 hours ago, ElenaH said:

WoW! These are great plans! THat means you will be in Mabua, as well? Or wil you travel through Kaa concession to KTP?

Hi Elena,

Yes, we won’t skip Mabua and Mpaya, and we’ll also head to Rooiputs and Polentswa. These places will always hold a special place in my heart. However, I’ve heard some concerning reports about the lion population not doing so well. I’ll check on the situation and keep you informed.

I can only agree with Dave!

But what I would appreciate, if you, @JPScan give us some information about your trips - where you were staying, where the sightings were and so on.  Just an idea not a demand ;-)

I’d be happy to assist with that. Here’s the itinerary from your stay:

Berg en Dal Restcamp

• Date: December 9, 2023
  • Bungalow Type: BA3U

Satara Rest Camp

• Dates: December 10–11, 2023
  • Bungalow Type: BD2V
  • Dates: December 22–26, 2023
  • Bungalow Type: BD2N

Punda Maria Rest Camp

• Dates: December 12–13, 2023
  • Bungalow Type: BD3

Shingwedzi Rest Camp

• Dates: December 14–16, 2023

Lower Sabie Restcamp

• Dates: December 17–21, 2023
  • Bungalow Type: BD2U

@Dave Williams, @JPSperhaps, we need to open a topic in Photographic/equipment sections and talk about our experiences and ideas in film-making?

Dave Williams
20 minutes ago, JPS said:

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.

You're absolutely righ, slow-motion videos require substantial data and processing power to keep the experience enjoyable. Otherwise, the process can drag on.

However, capturing slow motion at 120 fps in 4K with an ND filter, paired with a 400mm f/2.8 lens, produces amazing and intense footage.

Regarding the equipment, I’m using a Canon R5, and I’ve become a huge fan of it. The autofocus, animal eye detection, and internal stabilization, this combined with the lens stabilization, are true game changers compared to SLR cameras.

While a tripod is essential, I also rely on the GimPro MKII Door Mount, which, despite being a bit heavy, is perfect for video work. My neck certainly appreciates it:D!

For video editing, I use Magix Video Pro X14. It handles my footage well, including the necessary video stabilization corrections.

Here’s a quick rundown of my gear:

• Canon R5 Body
  • Canon R6 Body (secondary)
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 III
  • Canon RF 100-500mm
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II
  • Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8
  • GoPro 12

Cheers,

Johan

I did wonder if you used one of the GimPro door mounts. They look a useful piece of kit provided you can justify the expense vs usage, I guess they are also pretty heavy if you have to take on as part of your luggage allowance. I think I'll be sticking with my beanbag then!

The RF 100-300mm f2.8 would be an excellent safari lens I think but I did notice you don't tend to do much zooming or panning in your videos which is probably why they look so good. Short clips sewn together well.

I have the R5 too, overheating with video is a bit of a pain to say the least!

15 hours ago, JPS said:

Yes, we won’t skip Mabua and Mpaya, and we’ll also head to Rooiputs and Polentswa. These places will always hold a special place in my heart. However, I’ve heard some concerning reports about the lion population not doing so well. I’ll check on the situation and keep you informed.

As far as I know the lion popuation in Mabua is ok! There are several FB groups about Mabua Sightings and Kgalagadi. Last time we were in Mabua in2021 and two lion pairs were mating. Then I read that they have cubs :wub:  I rather concerned about too many lions at the campsite...  We will be there in October and have a ground tent :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, JPS said:

I’d be happy to assist with that. Here’s the itinerary from your stay

I meant that you will show us it in yor new flms and tell a few words about it (impressions, notes, feelings, etc )  :)  I will try!

A fascinating video about Kruger in its greeeeen version! And I love the photos also. You have covered the park south to north (and back) in two weeks ... indeed four weeks would be even better. Thank You for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
Atravelynn

Great stills, but the video--wow!  The slo-mo is perfect for the interactions between animals and those dusting bee eaters were spellbinding.  That albino lion cub must be an attraction.  Hope it grows to an adult.  Hard to believe this was only 2 weeks with all the variety and creatures.  You achieved your goal of intense.  Truly professional quality.  This is a GEM!