BY 2024 - Herman and Kit's 7th (!what?!) year

Kitsafari

Kitsafari
Posted (edited)

Ending the Sabah count is this bird, for which we had to wait 7 hours in a hide!

180. Bornean Peacock-Pheasant, Telupid

On the endangered list, this large little-known bird is described by Wikipedia as "probably the rarest and certainly the least known of all peacock-pheasants". Endemic to Borneo, this elusive bird skulks around in lowland forests and likes areas with ridges. It's typically very quiet but responds to some playback with its loud, harsh calls. One of the plantation owners saw this bird and, recognising it as a rare species, built the hide specifically for this species. Which is great for birders, but you have to undertake quite a strenuous hike up the hill to get to the hide, and there aren't many other bird species at this hide. So, if you are like us unlucky ones, you can wait for hours to see one, or dip on it altogether. The luckier ones - like the guy who was there a few days earlier - you get to see the bird 4 times in the first few hours. 

The bird was really skittish when we were there, staying only for a couple of minutes the first round, then a few seconds in the second after it fled when a leaf fell on it. 

But given its rarity, we were pleased we were able to see this spectacular beauty, finally! I doubt if we would ever see this bird anywhere else or on our own. 

BorneanPeacockPheasant3.jpg.8745c58b393d7054084f747db47221f0.jpg

BorneanPeacockPheasant2.jpg.ef2688d7f20e7e00bdb6573fa095e74e.jpg

DSC07529-Editborneanpeacock-pheasant.JPG.6beaab977e85d59e29d200e2f5836670.JPG

In conclusion, we saw a total of over 160 species, of which 121 species we had photographs of.  For me, I had about 40 lifer species which we had either seen or heard clearly. 

Edited by Kitsafari

I admire your dedication. Fleeing at a falling leaf? The bird could show a little more resilience when you’ve waited seven hours!

Kitsafari
33 minutes ago, JimS said:

I admire your dedication. Fleeing at a falling leaf? The bird could show a little more resilience when you’ve waited seven hours!

Exactly what we said! that silly bird. But we think something must have spooked it the day before we were there, since it had been reported to be quite comfortable coming into the clearing. 

Peter Connan

WOW!

What a finish.

I would have kept a bird like that for the end of the year.

:ph34r:

Kitsafari
Just now, Peter Connan said:

WOW!

What a finish.

I would have kept a bird like that for the end of the year.

:ph34r:

and knowing me, I'd very likely have forgotten I had kept a bird for the end of the year. :D

Peter Connan

I am forgetful enough that even though I have tiny little lists, I can only cope by making a spreadsheet...

A stunning end to your Sabah trip.

The Trogons, the Grand Slam -all amazing.

And then that Peacock Pheasant. Thank you for waiting for it as it is really beautiful 

Kitsafari

Thanks @Peter Connan and  @TonyQ

Tdgraves

Stunning birds @Kitsafari

PeterHG

Wow, those Trogons! And congrats on getting the Whitehead Grand Slam and finishing up with such a beautiful rarity! It too a lot of admirable effort to get this species, but you did!

An amazing birding trip! We are so lucky to have you two to show us such rarities and beauties!

Kitsafari

Thanks much @Tdgraves @PeterHG and @xelas

BRACQUENE

What a collection of tropical birds and the colors of the Peacock Pheasant are absolutely stunning !

Zim Girl

Stunning Trogans and what a beautiful bird to finish with.  That was a very productive trip!

• 2 weeks later...
michael-ibk

Congrats on your well- deserved grand slam. So many spectacular birds, just incredible! Thanks for showing us these beauties!

Kitsafari
Posted (edited)

Turning to species in Singapore for the time being. 

181. Baillon's Crake, SIngapore

BaillonsCrake2.jpg.ca5b089ebbc366e7f5fed00dffdc220b.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

Kitsafari

182. Band-bellied Crake, Singapore

BandBelliedCrake1.jpg.b113a676a00460c32fc06740e4ba2ad5.jpg

BandBelliedCrake2.jpg.7b33b12b240a0c4777509eb5c43b253c.jpg

Kitsafari

183. Red-legged Crake, Singapore

RedLeggedCrake.jpg.edd1fb6eb8064591e5053aa9f4147d73.jpg

Kitsafari

184. Ruddy-breasted Crake, Singapore

RuddyBreastedCrake.jpg.511661c3fdac7c1ddbd7d547da8d42aa.jpg

Kitsafari

185. Banded Bay Cuckoo, Singapore

BandedBayCuckoo.jpg.b15fcab455f38d880899fd80e03d62d5.jpg

Kitsafari

186. Hodgson's Hawk-Cuckoo, Singapore

A large-sized winter migrant from North Asia.

HodgsonsHawkCuckoo.jpg.0245544eb6aa18cff0c749c500572431.jpg

Kitsafari

187. Indian Cuckoo, Singapore

Another migrant to Singapore.

IndianCuckoo.jpg

Kitsafari

188. Little Bronze Cuckoo, Eastwood/Singapore

The small-sized bird is native in Singapore and has such a lovely call. 

The resident in our neighbourhood, sitting next to a female ornate sunbird

DSC08076littlebronzsecuckoo.JPG.f6dff7bd83b9580317e5339fa31681cd.JPG

189. Golden-bellied Gerygone, Singapore

Like other cuckoos, the little bronze is a brood parasite. In the photos below, despite its reputation as the world's smallest cuckoo, it still dwarfs the tiny Golden-bellied gerygone. 

LittleBronzeCuckoo-GoldenBelliedGerygone.jpg.867bb7081365b20188eb71ee441dd25b.jpg

almost swallowing the foster parent's head!

LittleBronzeCuckoo-GoldenBelliedGerygone1.jpg.00fdc4851074d5f805110aad5a2f1052.jpg   

Kitsafari

190. Bar-tailed Godwit, Singapore

BarTailedGodwit.jpg.67dc93fbcee0d03865163e9462c91feb.jpg