Unlimited fun with Unlimited Tours on a Mobile Safari - 4Rivers at Kwando plus Vic Falls excitement - Green season January 2024

Hads

michael-ibk

So did I, a really engaging report with great photos. So obvious how much your family enjoyed this. Your kids are so lucky! Very nice to hear you will join us over at the Big Year!🙂

Zubbie15

Thanks for sharing @Hads, you really had a great trip. 

@Kitsafari, Botswana in the green season was fantastic, however if that rain that we experienced in the first 2 days kept going could of made it even more challenging. The best part was that we hardly saw another self driver or Safari vehicle.

@Peter ConnanI will need to start planning another Africa holiday (however it will be on a much less budget).

@michael-ibkI will get young Alex sorting his photo's and get posting more in the "Big Year" 

@Zubbie15I am glad you enjoyed it and thanks for following along.

@Hadsthanks for the great trip report!  Quick question…when you were at 4 Rivers and it rained, did the camp have rain ponchos for you?

Good morning @marg, it didnt rain when we were at 4Rivers, we got the rain at the start of our mobile Safari and Unlimited supplied Poncho's for us.

I will find out and let you know, I assume that they would.

@Hads Thank you!  We have also asked our TA to get an answer.  So one way or another we will find out.

John M.
On 6/27/2024 at 2:51 PM, Hads said:

The best part was that we hardly saw another self driver or Safari vehicle.

😊

A fine TR, most comprehensive. But it makes me wonder how you and others find the time. I dropped out of ST in 2009 for lack of time, mainly because my wife's photography business was so busy, she spent hours every day shooting and processing, compiling digital and hard-copy albums for customers etc etc.  

madaboutcheetah
13 hours ago, marg said:

@Hadsthanks for the great trip report!  Quick question…when you were at 4 Rivers and it rained, did the camp have rain ponchos for you?

@margYes, of course the 4 Rivers vehicles have ponchos ....... It's a pretty high end camp! 

Edited by madaboutcheetah

@madaboutcheetahThank you Hari!  We have not traveled to Africa in the green season so this year we will have a new experience.  We will go to Lagoon again, then 4Rivers and Kwara.  So, these trip reports are helpful.  And, they get us excited to go.

Posted (edited)

Morning @marg, as @madaboutcheetah, Hari mentioned 4rivers will provide Poncho's and raincoats in the Wet season and hot water bottles in the cold dry season (I also got confirmation from my guide that they will do this). What dates are you going to the Delta?

@John M., writing a trip report does take time but I feel it is worth capturing to share and re-live your experience.

I know I love reading others' trip reports in :) 

Edited by Hads

michael-ibk

@marg

What are your dates for Lagoon and 4 Rivers? There myself in Nov (14th to 21st) with 4 other Safaritalkers.

@Hads @michael-ibk We will arrive in Botswana December 1.  Lagoon 6 nights, 4 Rivers 4 and Kwara 4.  We just recently put the trip together after being nudged by the great trip reports.  Sorry that we will miss other STers.

madaboutcheetah
14 hours ago, marg said:

@Hads @michael-ibk We will arrive in Botswana December 1.  Lagoon 6 nights, 4 Rivers 4 and Kwara 4.  We just recently put the trip together after being nudged by the great trip reports.  Sorry that we will miss other STers.

@marg- That's a perfect itinerary ......  However, just FYI ..... I hear Pom Pom has been literally off the charts for the last year and a bit.  Not sure you can fit it in somehow ?  I couldn't get a booking last time as they are always busy due to the sightings situation. Very very high on my list for next time I make it back to Botswana.

@madaboutcheetahAnother thank you Hari.  I will call our TA this morning.  I think we would have to switch camps.

@madaboutcheetah, I spoke to my guide at 4Rivers, Kelvin , and asked him which Kwando camp he would recommend and he said POM POM, he said it has had fantastic sightings the last year or so. He spoke very highly of it.

@margthat is an amazing itinerary, is that in the green season price range?

@madaboutcheetahcant wait to hear about your trip ? Do you have 3 nights in each camp? Have you got anything else added to your Safari?

madaboutcheetah

@Hads- I don't know when i can travel yet ...... No bookings atm

Alex The Lion
Posted (edited)

@margI think you could shave time off Lagoon, then select only one camp in Kwara, then 4/5 nights at Pom Pom.

If you can swing a PV at Kwara, you should be able to drive all over the concession on all day drives.

(PS take advantage of Pom Pom, as it is likely to return to a wet camp at some point) 

Edited by Alex The Lion

@Hadsgreen season pricing yes!

@Alex The Lionthank you!  We always have extra nights at our first camp as we try to adjust to the time change…we are zombies. We are not unhappy with the itinerary as it is, but if we are able to get Pom Pom in there that would be great.  Now we are waiting to hear.

Scooter

Oh my goodness,   reading all of these accolades makes me SO excited for my upcoming itinerary starting late November:

(3) Lagoon (Been once,  and loved it,  but had terrible guiding.  Looking to "fix" that feeling)

(3) Pom Pom.   (I love it here.   The +sightings as of late are just icing on the cake)

(3) 4 Rivers (Been to Kwara 3x - and love it.....but really looking forward to this "new to me" area)

We originally started in a different order,   but then my brother and sil wanted to join,   and Lagoon's availability was very slim (even though we booked last summer?).  Not sure why?   But we had to re-arrange slightly,   as I really wanted to include Lagoon.    

@michael-ibkwe are slightly after you,   and 

@margwe are slightly before you.

Everybody's zigging while we are zagging.

Hads,   this is just  a spectacular trip report.    I keep coming back to it again and again,     and it is such a great encouragement to jump into a mobile safari.     And of course,   with such limited reviews as of yet on 4-Rivers,   this helps immensely (and whets the appetite).     I think this just may be the start of a 2025 itinerary for me lol.

madaboutcheetah
Posted (edited)

@Alex The Lion@marg- I would not recommend shaving off anytime in Lagoon.  Especially this year .........  It's super dry and pumping with game !! Also, @margdoesn't seem to have Lebala on their list - so, I fully endorse the 6 nights!! 

ICYMI - i've seen posts on Kwando's social media regarding the dog den in Pom Pom ..... Let's hope for a succesful year for the dogs.

Edited by madaboutcheetah

@madaboutcheetahThanks Hari.  We are still waiting to hear.

KaliCA

@HadsI enjoyed your trip report very much and that you are always upbeat even when the day is not so spectacular. But you guys certainly had many amazing sighting and the green season adds so much color to the pictures. Here to illustrate my point in Xini Lagoon. Us beginning of September, you in January, a difference of barely 4 months. Different cat, same spot, slightly different angle. 

Thank you very much for sharing your family adventure. 

Your picture 

IMG_7616.jpeg.e68cfb6b1e6d5fa5720cfcfd9b9fe3ae.jpeg

My picture

IMG_7615.jpeg.35ae6d568b8c9ca32009f47fdd0752d7.jpeg

@KaliCAthanks for sharing.  We can hardly wait!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@KaliCAwhat a difference between seasons, the green season is definitely much better for photography by the looks. I am loving your 50 Days in Africa trip report thanks.

@margso glad you got into POM POM , it sounds like a beautiful camp.

@janzinthanks for following along and I am glad you tackled Devils pool, it isn't for the faint-hearted that's for sure.

@ScooterI am glad you enjoyed the report, I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip :) 

Edited by Hads