Belated BY - 6th year! Herman&Kit

Kitsafari

Phew! First post with a hundred up must be an achievement.

Good to count your two lifers.

Your Croaker is good with me as are the rest despite a couple of miss types in text..

Your Isabelline Weaver would set the twitchers blood pulsing. You meant to write Wheatear.

65.. "Northern " Fiscal.? This may be a split I have not heard of.

69. Epic ID of the Pectoral Patch. You are really getting into Cisticolas. viz Red-faced too.

72. "Wow" No other word will do here.

All good stuff.

Just one of my 'hobby horses'.

Grey Crowned Crane!! no hyphen and a capital "C" as the Crown is gold not grey.:o

Well hello! 

I'm looking forward to your UK additions to see what you managed following various suggestions here!

There is a Northern and Southern  Fiscal Fred ( @Galana). Google it! I agree, must be the fastest ton ever!

Thanks @Dave Williams @Galana - i sped right through to make up for lost time. 

2 hours ago, Galana said:

Phew! First post with a hundred up must be an achievement.

Good to count your two lifers.

Your Croaker is good with me as are the rest despite a couple of miss types in text..  Yippeee!

Your Isabelline Weaver would set the twitchers blood pulsing. You meant to write Wheatear. Well done - you were paying attention. :P

65.. "Northern " Fiscal.? This may be a split I have not heard of.  Where have you been? EBird has northern and southern fiscal. good for my count. and yours.

69. Epic ID of the Pectoral Patch. You are really getting into Cisticolas. viz Red-faced too.

72. "Wow" No other word will do here.

All good stuff.

Just one of my 'hobby horses'.

Grey Crowned Crane!! no hyphen and a capital "C" as the Crown is gold not grey.:o  and i was being a tad fastidious on the Grey vs Gray i just ignored the hyphens. 

@KitsafariWhat a great selection of birds and photos from Kenya. You saw many nice species that we missed on our trip in February.

Great collection of Africa birds. No wonder Herman is happy with his mirrorless Canon combo, there are loads of superb shots here. Glad you joined and I’m looking forward to more.

8 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

EBird has northern and southern fiscal. good for my count. and yours.

What's an eBird? Is it related to the Ooh Ah bird?  Not got that or anything but a Common Fiscal in my 3 Field guides.

8 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

i was being a tad fastidious on the Grey vs Gray

But a tad inconsistent (which is your right.) Gray-backed Fiscal but Grey-headed Kingfisher.;)

2 hours ago, Galana said:

What's an eBird? Is it related to the Ooh Ah bird?  Not got that or anything but a Common Fiscal in my 3 Field guides.

But a tad inconsistent (which is your right.) Gray-backed Fiscal but Grey-headed Kingfisher.;)

@Galana it's a Bird! actually, it's a leaf. If i can count the many times that leaf has tricked me, I would have the biggest BY. :lol:

Just on the tiniest chance that you really don't know about ebird.org - which I now use as one leading reference - it's this link: https://ebird.org/species/norfis1 

Tell me about the grey! why can't Grey stay Grey, like I was taught in school, when did Grey become Gray? that's quite American. 

and you are absolutely right. when i googled the names, some of  them popped up as Gray, and I used that. but when I searched on ebird, which I should have done from the beginning, it's Grey. I'm changing them all to Grey. 

Thank you for the correction. 

I'll slow the pace to gear 1 (not that there's many left from Kenya). next 10!

101. Streaky Seedeater

StreakySeedeater107.jpg.fe2566fd443ebf4b2c0c6303cf95a26d.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

102. Striped Kingfisher

StripedKF66.jpg.b82d02620280375ddda6d07bf4d5fc40.jpg

103. Superb Starling

SuperbStarling60.jpg.5a0f71122da159a1e3cf4b325a1eaa43.jpg

104. Tawny Eagle

we think it got a crowned lapwing

TawnyEagle32.jpg.a771456188a5a72cae7deb5f61d803b5.jpg

105. Tawny-flanked Prinia

Tawny-FlankedPrinia114.jpg.f3d4998f647d6a8bda311171a2a6ba04.jpg

106. Temminck's Courser

TemmincksCourser115.jpg.3c424b472441389f81d72eb52e24cdeb.jpg

107. Three-banded Plover 

A species we always see in the Mara areas

ThreeBandedPlover116.jpg.324e4e742f93d3b90a59c8467339f77a.jpg

108. Verreaux Eagle Owl

VerreauxEagleOwl117.jpg.6b4095a1fa3932e20af6f540458f1251.jpg

109. Violet-backed Starling

VioletBackedStarling118.jpg.d22efc602d111ccf19ea5a8879f102c2.jpg

110. Von der Decken's Hornbill 

Finally, we have seen this species for the first time. 

VonDerDeckensHB111.jpg.37bb2ce0c89996a597b0dd7b8b73efde.jpg

Dave Williams

Envious of the Violet-backed Starling, I never have got very close but there again only seen a couple too.

9 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

when did Grey become Gray? that's quite American. 

Blame Webster's dictionary and those folks 'over there'.

It's still grey where they speak correct English., and call a 'hood' a bonnet, a trunk a boot and spell labour and neighbour with that vital 'u' in the last syllable.

Thanks for the help with Ebird. I shall watch out for one next trip.

Good ID with #104.

Wow, what a start, congratats on getting to #100 within the first hour of posting! Superb photos from the Mara. Too many to single out the top ones, but I particularly like the Sandpiper on the sleeping Hippo. Looking forward to more - way more!

Phew, that is a workload you have done. Congratulations on ... retirement! It has changed my life, it will probably changed yours also!

@Kitsafariwelcome back to the Big Year and congratulations on racing past 100. So many excellent photos, Herman seems to have mastered his new camera very quickly. You have also posted some very nice ones.

On a personal level, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. It is much better than working :D. You have some great trips planned - I had to check where Christmas Island is!

@Kitsafari

Congratulations with that fast 100 and retirement two years after mine :D  Many familiar birds I also saw in Kenya but some other "beauties" I missed !!

9 hours ago, TonyQ said:

@Kitsafariwelcome back to the Big Year and congratulations on racing past 100. So many excellent photos, Herman seems to have mastered his new camera very quickly. You have also posted some very nice ones.

On a personal level, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. It is much better than working :D. You have some great trips planned - I had to check where Christmas Island is!

Christmas Island is a strange story. It used to be part of the Singapore territory even though it's 1,330km away from us and closer to Indonesia. somewhat like Falkland Islands belonging to the UK. It shouldn't be a surprise since Singapore used to be colonised by the British. In any case, in 1958, Australia asked for the island and Singapore, under the rule of the UK, transferred the rights to Australia for a grand sum of GBP2.8m (which was about M$20m at that time).

Of course, Christmas Island is now more famous for the annual migration of the red crabs which occur in Nov so we'll probably miss it.