Some of my new art works that I've been slaving over ….

twaffle

This year has been particularly difficult for me, for a number of reasons and I have had a lean year as far as inspiration for my artworks is concerned. I recently read a wonderful and pertinent article directed at creative people whether they are writers, painters, photographers, sculptors etc. and it just said to work hard today and let tomorrow take care of itself. Tomorrow's inspiration and art would build on what you do today so if today's work is less than interesting or not at all what you like, you will have a base to start from on the following day which is of more worth than a zero point.

So that's what I've been doing over the last few days as I work on a new range of art pieces which I'll sell as small, framed images. Most of the square ones will be available only as these small framed 'minions', but I have more to make as I widen the range of animals featured. Although the final product isn't ready to go onto my website yet, and I still have to sort out the commerce side of that, I thought I'd share some here. Those who are FB friends will have seen many of them already, but those who aren't may not realise that this is the sort of work I do which is quite different to the photos I include in my trip reports.

They aren't completely finished as I normally put each one aside and look at it a few times before going to print, so there are a few adjustments that I can already see are needed. When is anything finished? :wacko:

The first few are part of a range of elephant images, most that feature just part of an elephant although the first one isn't, of course.

gallery_5545_1133_187625.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_42466.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_261879.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_160651.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_176653.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_12855.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_242545.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_187833.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_130986.jpg

Then I've started a small series for my Minikin (delicate, dainty, diminutive … from the Dutch word 'minneken' from the mid 1500s) range which features birds.

gallery_5545_1133_144466.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_215591.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_127710.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_257763.jpg

Then a few experiments that don't fit anywhere in particular.

gallery_5545_1133_115612.jpg

gallery_5545_1133_39057.jpg

@@twaffle

These are gorgeous. I like the 2nd and 3rd especially.

What size print will they be?

absolutely stunning @@twaffle.

If that's what you can produce when inspiration is lacking, I'd love to see what happens when you're inspired.

I adore the birds and the cheetahs.

The cheetah cubs and the zebra have just gone to the top of my favourites list.

I love the background with the zebra.

Thanks for the quick, positive response. I may have to reduce the pink sky in the cheetah as a photographer friend of mine says it's a bit strong even though the sunset that day was very red. I think I agree with him. I have to say that I did that one quite quickly today after a very torrid dentist appointment so I'm open to the thought that I'll need to make some micro adjustments.

Zim Girl, the small ones will be 6 x 6" with a 1 1/2" matte. The non square will be any size. I'm selling the little ones for $US300 framed.

Thanks for the quick, positive response. I may have to reduce the pink sky in the cheetah as a photographer friend of mine says it's a bit strong even though the sunset that day was very red. I think I agree with him. I have to say that I did that one quite quickly today after a very torrid dentist appointment so I'm open to the thought that I'll need to make some micro adjustments.

Zim Girl, the small ones will be 6 x 6" with a 1 1/2" matte. The non square will be any size. I'm selling the little ones for $US300 framed.

for what it is worth, I agree about toning down the pink sky. Its brightness & colour to distract from the main subject

madaboutcheetah

I disagree with toning down the pink sky ....... ;) I think it adds another dimension to the image ...... I think all of those images are spectacular - I think I've probably seen all of them on your FB posts, but, the Elephant series is phenomenal.

Stunning pictures - I really like the elephant series.

Thank you for sharing them on this site

Edited by TonyQ

Loved them on FB, love them here! Simply beautiful, thank you, Twaffle. :)

Very nice. Without reading the text above my initial thought was the pink sky is a tad distracting.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll test a few things on the pink sky and see if I can make it less intense without losing the depth.

I love seeing your images on FB, but nice to share here with many who do not participate in FB. All are stunning, and I personally like the pink sky as Hari; I thought it gave a contrast to the cheetahs, which if hung on a wall would bring bring the eye to the photo. Quite different (imo) seeing a photo on a page as opposed to seeing it hung on a wall or on a tabletop.

Your work is always stunning; but I can understand as an artist how some days are not as good as others; but seems to always work itself out when you have posted the images. :)

Colors of the birds - exquisite. Funny my first trip to Africa I barely gave the birds a look. How did that happen? Now I adore them.

Oh..my...word....I'm throwing my cameras in the trash. So incredibly beautiful Twaffle and I agree with MAC, sunset isn't too strong. It must be so satisfying to be so creative.....I just love your work.

Very beautiful, Twaffle - you feel you could reach out and touch them!

Edited by 2BWild

Maybe you just expect too much. Not that I know what that would be, but it looks like at least a fair year's work to me. And I bet your article is very right and even more will come of it. The elephant trunks are outstanding, especially the one just before the calf. That is exceptional. The cheetah cubs are also superb, with less pink for me but I am sure you'll make the right decision on that and it probably won't be what I like!

And I got some inspiration from this (and I am not alone based on the comments) so you did some good today! Hopefully that'll come back to you soon.

Wow! I am so far behind.

While I love the pink sky, I must also agree that it does draw attention away from the cheetahs. Still love it just as it is though!

Thank you so much for all the feedback, all of which is churning around my mind.

Personally I don't find the pink in the sky a problem, it's the highlights in the sky which I find distracting. I realise there are two highlights approximately matching the two cheetahs, but I'd either make the sky a more even pink or crop it out altogether.