India bird id pics.

Game Warden

So with many of us having been to India, or even being based in India, who can start uploading birding id pics from the subcontinent?

Matt

• 9 months later...

It would be great to see more birds in the Indian Id pics subforum. Has anyone got any to upload?

@@Game Warden

I’ve added one new bird I uploaded the photo a While ago but didn't get around to posting, I’ll see if I can dig out a few more when I have time.

One thing I was thinking, the Indian Subcontinent also includes Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the Maldives and it would make sense that photos from any of these other countries should be added to this subforum rather than go in Worldwide. Indeed there already a couple of Sri Lankan species, so maybe the title of this subforum could be changed to Indian Subcontinent and or a subtitle added to make it clear that birds from these other countries should be added here.

Just a suggestion as both Nepal and Sri Lanka are popular birding/wildlife countries and the latter does have quite a few endemic species and I know from some recent threads that a few folks here might be thinking about Sri Lanka. :)

• 7 months later...
Deeptiwildlifetraveler

It would be great to see more birds in the Indian Id pics subforum. Has anyone got any to upload?

hey I have lots of pic of birds of Indian subcontinent. I can do posts over here.

• 10 months later...

Here goes GW.

a photo of a Nightjar taken early morning at Bhandhavgarh. I have processed this picture using Lightroom 6(HDR). Not impressed with the results but then i can hardly opine being a novice at post processing and using HDR for the first time.

gallery_45142_1255_1958892.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I returned from central India recently, so I can post a few pics. These are all from Tadoba National Park in March 2015. They're all common birds (some less common later!): Indian Golden Oriole; Little Cormorant; Black Drongo; Indian Roller; Common Cuckoo-Hawk (Brain-fever Bird).

post-48882-0-60857900-1431182706_thumb.jpg

post-48882-0-45762000-1431182749_thumb.jpg

post-48882-0-83102100-1431182793_thumb.jpg

post-48882-0-82798500-1431182835_thumb.jpg

post-48882-0-62178800-1431182838_thumb.jpg

beautiful pictures @@Galago

could you describe your gear and settings?

@Earthian Thank you very much. I use a Canon Powershot 50SX and the setting was Auto. Shots are cropped where needed and sometimes a bit of Shadow added, but nothing technical. I'll add some more soon.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-37450600-1431204777_thumb.jpg

~ @Galago:

What a great drongo image!

I've never seen a drongo with its head in a flower.

Dramatic and fascinating.

Thank you!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie Thanks so much. The Silk-cotton tree flowers hold moisture and I saw a few birds drinking from them. They're such a good colour, aren't they?

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie Thanks so much. The Silk-cotton tree flowers hold moisture and I saw a few birds drinking from them. They're such a good colour, aren't they?

~ @Galago:

Ah...those are Silk-cotton tree blossoms.

Now I know. I appreciate your telling me that the drongo's interest was water.

I mistakenly supposed that it might be after insects.

That flower color is something else. It's a tint unlike much that's ever observed.

What comes to mind is raspberry juice. Or a taffeta dress worn by a belle at a New Orleans soiree. Or even Weigela blooms.

Very, very nice.

Thank you for the followup providing greater context. I love Safaritalk for the depth of information which is available thanks to the kindness of members.

Tom K.

We'd been sitting for ages in Tadoba National Park waiting for a possible tiger and this Green Bee Eater came down to the water's edge so I whiled away the time taking shots of it. As I took this one there was a collective yell 'Tiger!' and I switched to photographing something much larger, browner and stripey!

post-48882-0-98547900-1431206459_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Tom Kellie

We'd been sitting for ages in Tadoba National Park waiting for a possible tiger and this Green Bee Eater came down to the water's edge so I whiled away the time taking shots of it. As I took this one there was a collective yell 'Tiger!' and I switched to photographing something much larger, browner and stripey!

~ @@Galago

The bee-eater's eye is so large and clear!

Your zoom pulls the viewer right up next to the bird — impressive!

I love those intense green tones!

What a beautiful pre-tiger distraction.

Tom K.

• 9 months later...

Just returned from a week's trip to Chopta and Sattal in Uttarakhand. Here are a few images of birds feasting on the flowers of Indian Coral tree

Blue-throated Barbet

post-50676-0-97046300-1461588395_thumb.jpg

Great Barbet

post-50676-0-60500700-1461588412_thumb.jpg

Orage-bellied Leafbird

post-50676-0-21104100-1461588423_thumb.jpg

Chestnut-crowned Laughingthrush

post-50676-0-58969100-1461588402_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koshy

Osprey with his breakfast at Kabini river (Nagarhole National park)

gallery_45142_1539_98720.jpg

Game Warden

@@Earthian Great timing to show the wings at full stretch. Let's see some more India bird photos...

Thank you, @@Game Warden

Here is a streak throated woodpecker ( i think) at Bandipur national Park:

post-45142-0-22638100-1462171072_thumb.jpg

i was lucky to get this Osprey BIF at nearly eye level. Taken on the Kabini river.

post-45142-0-18325700-1462188580_thumb.jpg