See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What camps in what countries for wild dogs.

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 01:41 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

1 there is a wild dog pack which dens in mala mala, sabi sands ,greater kruger

they wander just a lettle bit onto umkumbe safari lodge nearby

2 dodgs can be seen sometimes in madikwe game reserve see under trip planning WILD DOGS AT MADIKWE GAME RESERVE the dens are not always accessible , ask your camp if it is on view it you want to go. a big problem with madikwe is the blocks are very large, off track driving is nearly always done only for lions, and game viewing is to a large degree dependent on pumped pans which are very variable in their water level.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#42 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I also thought Busanga was inaccessible in Nov/Dec, and even if it is I doubt it's a great time of year for it.

I think that's the problem with Liuwa for me- the best time to go isn't a great time to combine with any other parks in Zambia. The best option would probably be Kasanka for the bat migration. But not Kafue, or even South Luangwa.

#43 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Possibly one could consider Liuwa in June, combining it with Bangweulu (and maybe South Luangwa).

The problem with Busanga is that, once some good rains fall, you are basically stuck. Even if I have no knowledge of animal movements in the wet season there, I would think that, as soon as the rains begin, a lot of game will disappear in the surrounding woodlands.

#44 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Even if I have no knowledge of animal movements in the wet season there, I would think that, as soon as the rains begin, a lot of game will disappear in the surrounding woodlands.

That would be my thought too. My feeling about the main Zambian parks (SLNP, Kafue and LZNP) is that they are very much dry season destinations. I seem to remember a discussion about this on nappa's thread about his disappointing trip to Kafue in June.

At one stage I looked at the RPS trips to Liuwa for next year and all the Nov/Dec ones are booked up and they have been for quite some time. I was thinking about combining it with their "carnivore week" (formerly known as Wild Dog week, now rebranded less ambitiously) which they've moved to November (it used to be March).

#45 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Or go to Luangwa first, then Liuwa.
For example Tafika, they operate quite late in Nsefu. As longs as it doesn't rain the game is absolutely fantastic that time of the year (yes, it's also very hot) and then get the first of RPS's safaris in Liuwa, or be in Liuwa the last week before RPS starts.

But if there's some big storms in Luangwa the game disperses. It will still be stunning, and a lot cooler, it will just be a bit harder to find the predators, as they're not as drawn to the river as their prey doesn't need the river for water anymore.

#46 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Or go to Luangwa first, then Liuwa.
For example Tafika, they operate quite late in Nsefu. As longs as it doesn't rain the game is absolutely fantastic that time of the year (yes, it's also very hot) and then get the first of RPS's safaris in Liuwa, or be in Liuwa the last week before RPS starts.

But if there's some big storms in Luangwa the game disperses. It will still be stunning, and a lot cooler, it will just be a bit harder to find the predators, as they're not as drawn to the river as their prey doesn't need the river for water anymore.

That is true- Tafika seem to get their best dog sightings out at the salt pan late in the season too. I did also look at combining Tafika with the "carnivore week" but I think they shut just a bit too early for it to work.

Nov can be brutally hot though- I was in SLNP until about 20th Nov in 2010 and the rains hadn't started. I think it's the hottest place I've ever been!

#47 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm pretty sure it was on here a couple of years ago that someone posted a link or comment on the BBC wildlife magazine that had an article on the best place to see wild dogs and their #1 was Selous. I'm also sure some people didn't quite agree - can't find the post now though :(

#48 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

A timely report here from RPS-
http://www.robinpope...2/mon-20121217/

From the article "I was privileged to visit along with three other guests (Hugh, Wendy and Lynne all from America)...."
Wonder who that might be??
  • ZaminOz and Sangeeta like this

#49 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,721 posts
  • Local time: 12:41 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it was on here a couple of years ago that someone posted a link or comment on the BBC wildlife magazine that had an article on the best place to see wild dogs and their #1 was Selous. I'm also sure some people didn't quite agree - can't find the post now though :(

http://safaritalk.ne...d +dogs +selous

:) type bbc wild dogs selous.

just mucking around. Damn good memory SL!

Edited by Anita, 17 December 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Ask not what a park/an organization/a country can do for you; ask what you can do for them ;-)

#50 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Haha!! I did.... but I did it in Google, using too many words. Add the word "magazine" and it doesn't work.

Thanks, Anita. Glad I'm not going mad :)

#51 Kingfisher Safaris

Kingfisher Safaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Bush pilot

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

As far as Botswana is concerned:

Linyanti
Lagoon - always good for dogs from June onwards and they had regular sightings this year
Linyanti Bush Camp - September onwards is the best time to see them here.
Savuti/Kingspool/Duma Tau - All had good sightings this year beginning in April

Okavango
Kwara - had a denning pack this year and good sightings from April until October
Khwai area (Khwai Tented Camp, Banoka Bush Camp, Sango Tented Camp, Khwai River Lodge & Machaba Camp plus mobiles) - this is a superb area for Dogs and they have denned near the village for the last four years.
Chitabe - The classic area to see Dogs but has been a little sparse over the last two years.

Chobe (Kasane area) - Dogs have been seen regualrly over the last few years and i have seen them myself on the transit route 4 or 5 times. (Chobe Under Canvas, Chobe Game Lodge and various other mobile operators)

Zimbabwe - Mana Pools is obviously a great place (Ruckomechi, Vundu, Kanga Bush Camp, Chikwenya and various mobile comapnies)
Hwange is good around the Ngweshla Pan (Somalisa Camp, Makololo, Davidsons Camp, The Hide and various mobile companies)

South Africa - Pilanesberg National Park is a great place to see dogs, although relatively small.

Martin Smith - martin@kingfishersafaris.co.uk

Managing Director

Kingfisher Safaris

Facebook

Kingfisher Expeditions Facebook

gallery_17608_756_9485.jpg

#52 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Not a PhD biologist by any means here... but generally, dogs are usually where lions ain't. Sure, there are exceptions like Mana Pools, I hear (never been).

But its' not surprising that wild dogs are harder to see in S. Luangwa during the denning season (Jun - Sep or so), as they den deep in the woodlands away from the lions who are following their prey towards the river.

In southern Kafue for example, wild dogs were seen regularly on the Nanzhila Plains until 2011 when male lions showed up for the first time in many years. The dogs disappeared from June on only to return to the Plains in October with semi-grown-up pups.

At Mombo, Botswana, there used to be a pack numbering 30+ denning every year there, until around '97 when a bunch of lions moved in. I don't think there has been a denning pack since (?) It is interesting that Mombo's logo used to be wild dogs.

It is interesting that The Golden Pack of dogs moved into Vumbura in Botswana from Kwara. I think Kwara's male lion coalition of 7 had something to do with it. Heck, I would get the heck out of there...

Kwando Lagoon is on the edge of the Kwando concession, and I believe lion prides have always been small as a result of it bordering non-wildlife areas. (Please feel free to correct, Hari.) Perhaps therein lies the success of the dogs there.

#53 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local time: 08:41 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

In 2010 at Mano Pools ,Ruckomechi, the end of August we saw one dog. We were told that the others were at the den site. Same trip early September in the Selinda area we had four of our best nights ever in Africa. The first night we were at a den site with adults and puppies. Then the next three nights we followed the adults hunting. The rides were wild, hang onto your stuff, and one night they made a kill, an impala. The hyenas were soon on the scene but the dogs got most of the meal. Same trip in September we followed the single dog at Mombo hunting with her jackal family. Interesting.

#54 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Not a PhD biologist by any means here... but generally, dogs are usually where lions ain't. Sure, there are exceptions like Mana Pools, I hear (never been).

It would indeed be interesting if some research was conducted as to why in Mana such a thriving wild dog population coexists with a good (not huge) number of lions.

My extremely wild guess is that there is not much competition for prey, since lions markedly prefer buffalo, whilst the main staple of wild dogs is impala (I have never heard of wild dogs in Mana bringing down larger prey such as zebra, but I may be totally wrong).

Generally the dens are situated in rather thick mopane woodlands nevertheless. This may allow the pups to stay safe whilst the adults go hunting on the floodplains.

In general, it might be that in Mana hyena pose a bigger threat to wild dog pups than lion.

#55 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

The original lagoon pride of lions had quite a few lions until the pride disintegrated in the mid 2000s. Yes, now the dogs den very close to camp every year and have had a very good success rate with the puppies.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#56 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

What a lovely report that was on LP! Perhaps we need GW to organize this one through ST Travel Club too... Early December 2013...

Edited by Sangeeta, 18 December 2012 - 01:44 AM.

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#57 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Local time: 06:41 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Just to add to this:

Kicheche Laikipia Camp - Ol Pejeta Conservancy - Laikipia, Kenya. Dogs are still denning on Ol Pej and have new pups close by.
Karisia Walking Safaris - Tumaren Ranch - Laikipia, Kenya. not sure if they're still denning, but they had a very permanent den in a cave nearby recently with older pups.
Encounter Mara Camp - Naboisho Conservancy - Masai Mara, Kenya. Somewhat more regular sightings this year with a pack of 14 being seen last month, and a few other groups over the course of the year. It is estimated that from the Loita hills to the Lemek hills, there are probably at least 4 different packs.

#58 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well, I think there's a difference between 'The place with the best chance to see wild dogs' and 'The best place to see wild dogs'....

#59 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 10:41 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

Scrolling through this I saw Sangeeta's request for Liuwa Plains, Zambia info. There is a large pack of wild dogs there, 20-30. What is nice is that there are researchers who radio track a few collared dogs are are enthused about sharing on the dogs' whereabouts. We benefitted from this arrangement and got to see the pack in action.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#60 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Thanks, Lynn! Waiting to hear all the details from you. Darn it! Should've come with you...

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.