Game Warden

What camps in what countries for wild dogs.

212 posts in this topic

Where do they normally den, sangeeta?

Thanks for the update @@Sangeeta - another area to factor in for a future itinerary. Look forward to your stories and photos.

I think @@Anita and I both beat you to adding LWC to the list, up at posts #4 and #6!!

Yup, and Paolo too :)

Another interesting point to note is that these multiple sightings were all outside denning season. The puppies are all mobile and 6+ months old now. The packs have been denning in the Sept-Oct timeframe of late.

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again that this idea that denning season is the best time to go anywhere is a myth that's arisen from people just assuming that everywhere is the same as the Linyanti. Denning just makes the dogs localised. Which is great at Lagoon, for example, where they are localised right next door to the camp. However, in other places like South Luangwa and Ruaha, the dogs den in remote and inaccessible places away from the main game viewing areas (which are full of lions). This means denning season is actually the worst time to go to those places if you want to see dogs. I don't know which pattern Laikipia falls into, but to be sure I will find out!

I guess it depends if your priority is to actually visit an active den to see the interaction with the pups or whether you want to see the dogs being active on hunts etc. We planned for the first at Mana and, whilst we did sit at a den watching the dogs for most o a morning, we didn't see the puppies at all. We also saw dogs out in the open and at kills they'd just made, but not actually seeing them hunting.

Well, that's another issue. Clearly if you want to see puppies at a den you have to go in denning season!

Sangeeta seemed to be surprised to have multiple sightings outside denning season.

Not surprised, SG, just thought it useful to point out that sightings in Laikipia seem to be quite reliable in all seasons, denning or otherwise. Actually, although the lion pop of L is quite high, they are very elusive and wild on the ranches, so neither easy to spot nor easy to infer how much they affect choice of den sites. Spotted hyenas seem to live in some harmony with the dogs here. Striped hyenas, however, reportedly killed all the pups of one pack recently. Leopards have also been known to kill pups and we saw what looked like a leopard hunting the dogs, though luckily ended up only with it stealing a kill from the pups!

Hari, I believe one pack dens at Loisaba, another at LWC and another at Sosian. There are other packs that den at the neighboring ranches too.

1 person likes this

OK, well I'd got the impression their sightings were good year round anyway.

Did you find out how accessible the dens have been in previous years, and whether it's possible to visit them? Or do they restrict access in any way eg like in some Linyanti areas where they don't allow visits for the first month?

I'm guessing they can locate the dens if the dogs are collared.

I think it would be fairly easy to find the den even if the dogs are not collared. Just follow the pack back to the den after a hunt (providing you see them at all, that is).

Well, I guess that it depends what the terrain's like and whether you can drive in. If it's dense woodland, rocky, up steep slopes and/or a long way from the road then your only option would be to follow on foot and you wouldn't be able to keep up with them. Then it would only really be possible using the telemetry.

In that case, absolutely!!!

What are the rates like for LWC? I couldn't see them on their website.

Hello All,

I saw wild dogs no less than 3 times in Lagoon Bush camp. I'm going back there again very shortly. I also saw wild dogs very briefly at Vundu Camp in Mana Pools. This year I'll be going back there in August for three days as well as three days to Goliath camp as I've was told that dog sighting were better in Mana Pools in August. I've also seen a small pack of wild dogs hunting in Lakipia.I was staying at Lakipia Bush Camp at the time. I will be returning next year in Febuary for 3 or possibly 4 nights. Yes, I've seen wild dogs in Selous but dog sighting are apparently less guaranteed than in the Kwando Concession in Northern Botswana, Mana Pools National Park in August, September, October and November, as well as Lakipia Bush Camp because there is two packs each of which have more than 20 dogs.

1 person likes this

Dear Kittykat,

Please get in touch with Annabelle as of course her rates and transfer fees are listed on Lakipia Wilderness Camp's website. I can assure you that you'll find her rates to be very reasonable especially considering the quality of guiding,the location of her camp, and two or possibly three large packs of wild dogs. I hope that you like walking as the walking safaris offered there are supposed to be excellent. They also do night drives.

Best regards as always,Owen

Just stayed at Leopard Hills in the Sabi Sand game reserve in South Africa. Looks like some dogs are making a den there.

afaik they don't show their rates at Laikipia's webpage

I have seen them in madikwe, selous and mana pools (having not yet been able to afford to go to botswana). Mana was by far the best

1 person likes this

So who has seen wild dogs recently and at which camps? How many did you see, how good was the sighting?

I saw the Ol Pejeta pack again last weekend - they're denning on Lodru Plain in the same place as last year. The den is very close to the road so they are very easy to spot.

Oh Wow - Thanks for the updates @sangeeta

@@stokeygirl would you know the total size of the LWC area in question? I must imagine it's probably a massive area to house 3 large packs?

@@madaboutcheetah

Those packs roam a wider area, and LWC has traversing rights with Sosian and M'pala Ranch (I think you have to pay an additional fee to go to M'pala). However, they seem to like LWC area a lot.

Annabelle asked me to correct any impression that they have traversing rights with Mpala. The dogs do but they don't. It's all in flux at present.

Oh Wow - Thanks for the updates @sangeeta

@@stokeygirl would you know the total size of the LWC area in question? I must imagine it's probably a massive area to house 3 large packs?

@@madaboutcheetah

Those packs roam a wider area, and LWC has traversing rights with Sosian and M'pala Ranch (I think you have to pay an additional fee to go to M'pala). However, they seem to like LWC area a lot.

Annabelle asked me to correct any impression that they have traversing rights with Mpala. The dogs do but they don't. It's all in flux at present.

@@twaffle - what do you mean by "traversing rights"?

For my stay in June, we definitely went into Mpala several times (I had to sign a special indemnity form) and I didn't pay any extra. I don't really understand the term "traversing rights" or what you mean by it, but for my stay the fees for Mpala must have been included in my rate.

Do LWC no longer have access (whether you pay or not) to Mpala?

They no longer have access.

Wow- that's a shame. When I was there, there were several days when both collared packs were in Mpala. Not being able to go there would have had quite an impact on my stay.

Wow- that's a shame. When I was there, there were several days when both collared packs were in Mpala. Not being able to go there would have had quite an impact on my stay.

Or it could have been that one pack was in Mpala, the other was elsewhere inaccessible. Either way, there were several days where going to Mpala was the only option to find dogs.

That is a shame! Hope it all sorts out.

Have there been any sightings near Kicheche Mara?