Etosha Explorer

Shreyas

Just catching up on your report Shreyas. Fantastic pictures and as predicted Etosha appears to have delivered.

11 black rhinos is so cool. Your submariner is amazing :D

"...join the orgy"?

:lol: :lol:

Too much Spartacus, eh!?

"...join the orgy"?

I think it is "eat like Romans do".......

Yes to both. But what I am really suggesting is that I (who normally like those intimate bush camps in the wild) found myself enjoying the Namibian/South African self-drive, cook your own meat (lots of meat) safari thing prevalent in Etosha immensely.

And not to forget the independence of sitting on a waterhole for as long as you like!! That's how I got to see a Leopard in relative close counters, after waiting for 4.5 hrs. While I personally would also love to be in an as-remote-as-possible setting, this wasn't bad at all for my focus was to use the camp just for sleeping, and wouldn't even bother returning a minute before the closing time. I'd stocked up fruit and all sorts of sugary juice drinks that I'd not have otherwise, just so that I don't have to come back to the camp for food.

I hate cooking, so maybe I get to taste a chicken out of your braai pit someday ;)

Keep going, Caligula, I mean, Shreyas!

• 4 weeks later...

....not a great quality picture but he looks like a submarine on a mission :lol:

I would disagree. It's a great shot. Did you use flash? Is there enough light at the waterhole to illuminate the rhino at night? How about a tripod?

This is just great! I like the times and distances you've noted. Springbok as annoying twigs, now that's a new take on these antelope. Your comments on activity and #s of people along with the photos offer good perspective on Etosha.

Is the part about the 17 km being important coming up?

At some point can you add exact dates and # of days at each spot? Thanks.

Edited by Atravelynn

Fabulous pictures and report, can't wait for more.

Need to do another self-drive safari trip soon...

....not a great quality picture but he looks like a submarine on a mission :lol:

I would disagree. It's a great shot. Did you use flash? Is there enough light at the waterhole to illuminate the rhino at night? How about a tripod?

This is just great! I like the times and distances you've noted. Springbok as annoying twigs, now that's a new take on these antelope. Your comments on activity and #s of people along with the photos offer good perspective on Etosha.

Is the part about the 17 km being important coming up?

At some point can you add exact dates and # of days at each spot? Thanks.

Springboks like twigs, Yes.....annoying, not really :) They're just present in all possible corners in Etosha, especially in the frontline of ones pictures; a special treat is to see large herds in the golden light!

Have to get on to the next part of the report but work has taken over all my time.

Most of my time was spent in Etosha as I first drove there with friends, and then returned back solo for 6 days. I'll add in the details of the no. of days at each location/camp in the next part.

And the rhino shot, although the waterhole is lit, the yellow floodlight does mess up the color and makes it too saturated. I did use a flash and a tripod....I think the only time that I got to use it actually.

Fabulous pictures and report, can't wait for more.

Need to do another self-drive safari trip soon...

Thanks Kavita! Yes, self-drive is the way to go about in Etosha, imo. Better plan it soon!

The tripod/flash combo was a winner for the rhino. Over 6 days--lots of Etosha time.

Oh yeah, total of 9 days, and 1300 kms when driving solo (6 days) in the park. I remember the waterholes and locations by their names now :blink:

• 1 year later...

That was nice intermission. Now on with the rest of the show. I read the first part as trip planning. Now I'm looking forward to the rest from a slightly more knowledgeable viewpoint.

Thanks for cracking the whip, Lynn :lol:

Lost out on this one a while back due to family + work reasons and never got around starting back again.

Funny that you wrote on this TR today as I sit in Harare having just returned from a 12 day trip to Mana Pools. Still trying to deal with the hangover of this magical place!

I'm waiting to fly out to the US in 4 hrs. but will try to do better for the Mana TR. Reading about Mana Pools is one thing, experiencing it is another as it beats all the descriptions and words! And the hosts who made it all possible are one of the best folks I've ever met!

Meanwhile if you have any specific questions about Etosha, feel free to drop a line and I'll share what I know!

Shreyas

We'll of course want to read about Mana Pools as well, but I wouldn't mind seeing some more of Etosha when you have a chance! This looks like it was a great trip. I particularly enjoyed your HDR-processed photo. I have also seen National Geographic's "African Wildlife" and have to say that it holds up pretty well.