Let's See Your Little/Small Five.

Game Warden

Peter Connan

Ah, @@Tom Kellie, the advantages of a classical education! Or indeed any education! :)

Jokes aside, you are absolutely correct, the viewers mindset can completely change the perception of an image and the emotions that image evicts. I guess we have all been in situations with groups where under discussion afterwards it becomes blindingly obvious that there was more than one way to experience the event.

I guess my most telling example (if you will allow me a short tale while going completely OT): many years ago I was fortunate to have regular access to a portion of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. To the extent that I built a special game-viewing runabout vehicle that "lived" there.

post-24763-0-95905300-1428414666_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in the photo above, this vehicle was quite utilitarian, and featured no doors, and barely a roof. While still in courtship, I took my wife-to-be and her daughters there, and during one game drive we came across a rhino. It was quite far away, probably 75m or so, but when it noticed us it turned rapidly toward us and "took note" very visibly.

Keeping in mind that the kids had no previous experiance of nature, they were convinced that the rhino was about to charge and kill us all!

Edited by Peter Connan

Ah, @@Tom Kellie, the advantages of a classical education! Or indeed any education! :)

Jokes aside, you are absolutely correct, the viewers mindset can completely change the perception of an image and the emotions that image evicts. I guess we have all been in situations with groups where under discussion afterwards it becomes blindingly obvious that there was more than one way to experience the event.

I guess my most telling example (if you will allow me a short tale while going completely OT): many years ago I was fortunate to have regular access to a portion of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. To the extent that I built a special game-viewing runabout vehicle that "lived" there.

attachicon.gifP1010270.JPG

As can be seen in the photo above, this vehicle was quite utilitarian, and featured no doors, and barely a roof. While still in courtship, I took my wife-to-be and her daughters there, and during one game drive we came across a rhino. It was quite far away, probably 75m or so, but when it noticed us it turned rapidly toward us and "took note" very visibly.

Keeping in mind that the kids had no previous experiance of nature, they were convinced that the rhino was about to charge and kill us all!

~ @@Peter Connan:

Wow, as in WOW!

That's one jazzed-up jalopy!

What a ride. Your future daughters understandably wondered what their mother was setting them up for.

Never date a fella who hankers for big game.

Through the decades, not all but most misperceptions in my own life and those around me have stemmed from the faulty assumption that one's views are necessarily definitive.

Such not be so, for any pack of lionesses knows that widely spaced pairs of eyes increases effectiveness.

I've copied your fine photo of the supreme game-viewing runabout to share with students in classes later this week.

For some reason I picture Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh perched in the back, asking herself if that doesn't beat riding on horseback.

Really nice — Thanks!

Tom K.

• 6 months later...
ellenhighwater

While I've seen all five I'm sad to say I only have photos of two. Need to fix that!

A White Headed Buffalo Weaver in the Serengeti which is making me realize that I need to go back and upload the full size version of this since the original looks much sharper, dang it.

6265084160_3398eb8a4d_b.jpg

And one of the many species of Elephant Shrew. This was taken at Matopos, if you go up near Cecil Rhode's grave at sunset they're everywhere.

6166451393_0883480e29_b.jpg

@@ellenhighwater Excellent close up of those slippery shrews. we saw dozens of them on one night drive in the north part of South Luangwa park. i think we made the count to over 20 and gave up after that. But try taking a picture! each time we stopped it ran.

giving us the slip

P1050320.JPG

and finally only a half decent photo after umpteenth attempts

P1060973.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari