Show Us The Tribes And People Of Africa

divewop

Sad news indeed.

Edited by Tdgraves
p

Beautiful portraits, very sad news. :(

Thank you for the comments GW and Twaffle.

It is a beautiful country and area (the Omo Valley) and indeed, the destruction is currently going on. Mago National Park is stunning. And while it still has loads of antelope, very few predators remain because most have been hunted out. Our guide/driver actually had a pic on his smartphone of a pack of wild dogs he had spotted. Talk about rare. Wow! With the destruction and "construction" going on , I doubt seriously they'll be around too much longer.

We sat with one of the chiefs in one of the Hamer tribe villages and I asked him (through our translator) what he thought of all the development. He said he was glad it was happening. From what I understand, the tribes are being promised "the moon" to let their land be developed. But we all know that the moon will never be delivered and the loss of the traditional lifestyles of the tribes will be coming to an end in the near future.

I would suggest anyone wanting to visit should do so in the next few years.

Edited by Tdgraves
p

• 1 year later...

Maasai children, Maasai Mara

post-43899-0-06571200-1400670347_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to bring this thread back to the top so that new safaritalkers could see the stunning photos posted by @@divewop

Edited by Soukous

SafariChick

@@Soukous thank you, I hadn't seen the fantastic photos @@divewop posted - but your Massai children are adorable, so thanks for posting them too! Divewop have you any updates on what has happened to the parks and the people you mentioned? Sounded like a terrible loss would be occurring.

Edited by SafariChick

• 1 month later...
CapitanBurton

My contribution. Oromo people in the Blue Nile Falls. Ethiopia 2004

post-20776-0-49916300-1404848578_thumb.jpg

Wow, please let's get some more photos for this topic!!!

Wow divetop those images are incredible!

Will try to include a few of mine once l remember how to get them here from picassa. :huh:

Edited by KathBC

Himba from Northern Namibia

P1010433.JPG

Himba woman and baby from Northern Namibia

P1010371.JPG

P1010431.JPG

Herero from Namibia

P1010427.JPG

Samburu - 2011

IMG_1008.JPG

Maasai - 2011

IMG_1256.JPG1IMG_1055.JPG

Edited by KathBC

• 9 months later...

Boran Woman, Nr Shaba, Kenya 1996

gallery_6223_249_18006.jpg

Lekwancha Samburu Chief's Son, Nr Archers Post Kenya 1996

gallery_6223_249_29306.jpg

I'm no photographer but time to revive this post so I can look at others photos. We need more of these photos of tribes and peoples of Africa.

• 7 months later...

I have a few from Ghana. Well actually I have a lot but I'll only post a few now B)

This photo was taken in October 2014 near Cape Three Points. These girls are preparing for their puberty rites. I'm not sure of which tribe this is, guessing Fanti.

gallery_17433_1428_6313590.jpg

This was taken in Northern Ghana at one of the several "witch camps". Women accused of witchcraft can be sent to these "camps" from any part of the country.

gallery_17433_1428_3033371.jpg

This was taken beside Lake Volta in south-eastern Ghana and this woman is most likely from the Ewe tribe. This is one of my favorite people-photos.

gallery_17433_1428_1273418.jpg

This is a Voodoo fetish priest of the Ewe tribe. He is performing a divination.

gallery_17433_1428_6313340.jpg

This is the king of the Fanti tribe dressed in his regalia for the annual King Festival in Cape Coast. This was taken in 2011. The King Festivals are marked by the wearing of gold - lots of gold - by the dignitaries.

gallery_17433_1428_1593553.jpg

These are wonderful photos because they remind all of us that safari is about people as well as wildlife. These are just charming snapshots.

I must say that part of the reason that I find the idea of a safari to Central African Republic so appealing is that one will be in contact with real pygmies.

Really enjoying your photos @@Abena.

Each one tells a fascinating story about which I'd love to hear and learn a little more - the tribes, ceremonies etc

Hi @@Caracal,

Thank you for your interest!! I would enjoy sharing more about these beautiful people of Ghana. Shall be along in due course to do so :P