See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

South Africa discussion.

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#41 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,487 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

this looks very bad to me , if J Zuma just wanted to be a friend in support why have the TV camera there?

http://mg.co.za/arti...h-ubuntu-values

Political posturing!... Sick actually. 

Its well known that Madiba has asked photographers not to use a flash, as he has sensitive eyes, and they were using a flash. Its total disrespect from people who should know better. The entire video is in bad taste and undignified. 

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#42 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

nelson mandela like any other person who is old and in failing health shold have his privacy respected

http://www.bdlive.co...heft-nears-r1bn

things could be going better  with public administration 

a study estimates  for 2011-12  that corruption,theft et totals almost ZAR 1billion

perhaps pres zuma could do some public service, by volunteering to go to fairs  so people can donate  to a humanatraian ground  and zuma is in a dunking booth., many would support thhis effort.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 02 May 2013 - 07:56 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#43 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

the first time I heard much of zuma was when a sth african  friend living in Sydney told me of that nonsense he was talking of unprotected sex is no problem with HIV and other infections as long as you have a shower quickly  ,

http://mg.co.za/arti...ues-new-hopeful       ANC youth leader candidate accused of sexual harrasment   ------- great

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#44 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...-voting-process

well did people struggle for freedom to have  a special  secrecy  bill ,perhaps not

#45 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Our country is a joke now,cannot say I am proudly South  African anymore. 

#46 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

nearly  all the South Africans I have meet are perfectly all right,pleasant people.

South Africa is not the only country with several politicians  who exist to serve themselves and their close associates ,caring little for the mass of the people.

I think of some Australian politicians in this way.

#47 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

CR - Corrupt politicians are all over the world. But in the rest of the world they have to work harder to get re-elected, and are a bit better regulated. 

The truth about politicians is that they are public servants. They work and serve the public. Well - it couldn't be further from that in SA. They are like public heros, with flashy cars, and fat salaries, who only serve themselves, and don't do any work. What I cant understand is why they get re-elected time and again. 

#48 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

politicians who let business get away with doing things not according to rule, bending the rules are hated around the world, together with the businesses who hanfg of them,especially property developers. A new south wales state govt closed down the CBD section of the shipping wharves so expensive commericial buildings and appartments could go there. now they amongst other things will be putting in a 6 star casion hotel which is built into the water.

#49 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Came across the border from Botswana back into SA yesterday at Martins Drift,at 2pm ,was quite hot at that time,on leaving the Bots side you hand in a gate pass to a police man or women,this was the latter,very pleasant young lady stepped out of the shade and came around to my side as I was the driver and asked to inspect my Land Rover at the back,and when she was happy ,she wished us a good trip home and please come and visit again,well things changed within 300m from there,upon entering the SA side ,there is also a police lady sitting in the shade,she writes down your reg number on a slip that has to be stamped at the customs desk,this lady could not even force herself to get off her backside and read the reg no ,I had to tell her what it was ,even though she was sitting right in front of my car next to the wheel,I had passed her point of vision, as I stopped next to her,she then proceeded to just hand me the slip from the chair,not even getting up ,the complete opposite to what happened on the Botswana side.      

#50 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

A&M - I dont know what to say. I have had bad experiences on both sides. Customs officials are notoriously rude. 

#51 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

@dikdik I hear what you are saying,but I go to Botswana 6 or 7 times a year and have only praise for them.But I know things can change.

#52 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

http://www.pambazuka.../features/87397

an interesting article on labour relations

#53 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...ndependent-news

this is a bit concerning sa public service super fund to take 25% sghare in independent newspapers, well what are the earnings like? are they looking for influence ?

#54 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...tion-that-wasnt

winnie is in finacial problems ,house up for sale no bidders

#55 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...ty-stop-the-rot

food waste like many other countries

#56 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

The winnie sale was brought about for the immediatee need for only R42 , so she has fallen a whole lot

#57 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...-the-soul-of-sa

an interesting article on president Zuma who deals a whole lot  with family and associates  ,and fails to deliver much for  ordinary people

#58 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...read-going-home

refugees from rwanda are being sent back, I doubt that it is safe

#59 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

OH BOY ,10111 is our emergency line and is on STRIKE ,what happens now ??

Imagine 911 going on strike in the USA. 

• Bugs likes this

#60 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Our Daughter has just returned from Thailand after 6 months and is already talking of adjustments that she has to make. She has to be ,more aware of who is around her, and where she stops her car. 

She told a story of how she asked a friend to bring her some English South African magazines for her to read. You know; - "you", "cosmopolitan" etc. Anyway her friend pitched with a huge bundle of old magazines. While reading through these, it occurred to her how bizarre our news was compared to that in Thailand. She considered what would happen if she gave the magazines to her Thai associates, and changed her mind. She said - imagine what they would think of SA. 

Yet, she is happy yo be home. 

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.