See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

South Africa discussion.

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Local time: 06:16 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Where does one start to write about a subject like this? I am South African born and bred. My grandparents moved here from India in 1905. I lost friends and family in the struggle to liberate this country. We were all so proud on 27 April 1994, we had a dream, we were all South Africans. We were the miracle nation and not the pariah of the world any more. We had a negotiated settlement although we were on the brink of disaster. We had a functional country with good infrastraucture.

Sadly, it all went horribly wrong. Corruption, nepotism, unaccountability. I am a victim of crime, most of us in ZA are. Then there is the rhino poaching - another story I will get to in time.

But there is hope, there is Trevor Manuel saying that it is time to stop blaming Apartheid and start taking responsibility. There is Mamphele Ramphele and there is each one of us who have to to carry on making a difference to turn the dream into a reality. An Anti corruption Committee has just been formed. We are starting to acknowledge that things cannot carry on like they are http://www.iol.co.za...18#.UXTrG8ocM4x

Personally, I will not live anywhere else on the planet.

• twaffle and Kavita like this

#22 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 04:16 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

@Panthera Pardus ,I feel for you and what you thought that was going to happen post 94,but it has come as no suprise to me ,if you just look at the history of Africa and what has happened to countries after independence.With exceptions of course. Trevor Manuel and Ramphele are just two against the rest of the thieves,so what chance have we got living here.The crime is a joke and it is getting worse,as with the rhino poaching.We live in fear everyday of our lives,not knowing if you or a member of your family will survive another day.I sleep with one eye open 24/7 and it is getting to me now.Sad thing is ,there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Coming from the old era,it has been very hard for me to adjust to these new days.All I can say is my time is up here in this new SA.Will move to Botswana in a blink,and hoping to do so very soon.Got a company reg there already and busy with a few things at present,no life left here anymore. I have lost a fortune through crime and don't not see anything changing for the better in the near future.My family and I have been savagely attacked in our home, beaten up and tortured and bound with wire for 3 hours,not something you would wish on your worst enemy. So before my no is up ,best I make this move very soon.

#23 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 02:16 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

i hope that sth africa can deal with things as well as they can

A while ago I saw an article on the MAIL and Guardian which says that Cyril Ramaphosa will never make President as Zuma's Zulu mates are concerned that he could look at corruption too closely.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#24 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...sa-wont-be-king

Here is the article

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#25 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

@COSMIC RHINO, as far as I am concerned SA can deal with nothing constuctive right now.So the chances are nil while the ANC is in power that anything is going to improve,no matter who is president,they all are corrupt and feel nothing for their own kind,the poor will stay poor and they will get richer.  

#26 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Business day is very negative on the ANC for corruption and other things and give good coverage to the Democratic Allinance.

your words are very realistic.  non one is getting better

#27 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

http://mg.co.za/arti...sa-wont-be-king

Here is the article

After reading this article,it just strenghtens my case to leave SA.

#28 Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

I know exactly how you feel A&M. Things look like they can never get better. I lost my younger brother a year ago, held up and shot. But....we also thought that Apartheid will never end. Question is, like you rightly say, will your number come up before the change for the better.

Cosmic Rhino - I also remember that article about Cyril and how much say he will have.

#29 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

@Panthera Pardus , I believe the longer we go as a crime rampant nation we will never get rid of the stigma of apartheid,look who is doing all the crime and the ANC does nothing about it,so I put the blame on the ANC for this,they are fuelling apartheid by turning a blind eye to reallity.

So sorry to hear about your brother.Makes one's blood boil and there is nothing we can do.

Edited by A&M, 22 April 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#30 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother Panthera. Its just so shocking and such a terrible waste of a young life. So senseless..... But so frequent.

People are capable of the most shocking things. The problem is that criminals are getting away with so much and there is no fear of being caught. They progress from petty thieves to murderers very quickly. 

I also blame the government, as the whole legal system is in tatters. They are so busy with their own corrupt dealings that they don't do their jobs, and the rot runs so deep. How can a bunch of criminals take the moral high ground to stop crime? We have to brace ourselves for another few years of this rule, and its going to get a whole lot worse before it ever gets better. 

Rant over. 

• A&M likes this

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#31 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

i  can understand that a whole lot of people would  think of leaving , and the only thing that has kept them in place is having  such wonderfull animals and wildlands close at hand.

#32 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts
  • Local time: 11:16 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

I am sorry for the loss of your brother Panthera.  It has to continue to be difficult. 

The personal accounts that you all share, as citizens living in South Africa, are important and insightful. 

Thank you.

• A&M likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#33 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

One never gets over a loss of a family member or close friend due to a violent deed or action.As we see and live this way of life each day ,it takes its toll sooner or later and some of us start to loose faith in humanity.This leads to all kinds of social and mental stress,which in turn will lead to a total break down in  society,which is rappidly becoming the case here in SA.People have no faith in our system,and police anymore.

We are heading the way Zimbabwe has gone,with millions of people displaced ,and not knowing where to next..This has opened the door for a large scale crime wave to hit SA ,with our police force totally untrained and unprepared due to the scale or magtitude of the crimes committed.The ANC government has very slack immgration laws and every criminal in Africa has made SA his or her home.We have major problems from Nigerian drug dealers and these people in turn have corrupted our police force to such an extent,they never get charged with anything ,so our country is run by the Nigerian cartells in a joint venture with the ANC. 

White farmers are being murdered 2 a week,these murders are grusome attacks ,not only on the males ,but females as well,normally raped and then beaten to death with some object,the men are normally excecuted with a bullet.   

Some people you speak to here in SA ,tell you ,it is not so bad,they only see the violence on TV. These individuals or their families  have not been affected directly to violent crimes as such.

So yes , I do cry for my beloved country. :angry:

#34 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

Victor worked as a security guard at our factory. One day someone called him outside and shot him dead. Nothing stolen.

Rasta was quite a comical chap and had been working with us for a few years. He didn't pitch for work and his family became worried. Two weeks later the found his body in the morgue. He had been killed on a train on the way to work

Michael Dube was quite a hard working chap from Zim. He fled Zim to find a life for himself. He was thin and hungry when we met and had been sleeping under a bridge for weeks. I gave him a place to stay and a job. He was attacked and stabbed for his groceries. He spent two years in rehab and the rest of his life in a wheelchair. I re-employed him. Later he found the person who stabbed him and killed him. I gave him shelter as his life was in danger. Eventually the family agreed to settle the matter if we gave them some money. - true. 

Rudolf, a good friend worked as a diesel mechanic. His father came to visit him at work one day, and had an altercation with a guy outside in the street. The guy shot his father until the bullets ran out. Rudolf managed to overpower the attacker just after the last bullet hit his father in the back of the head. The attacker was arrested and out on bail for two years. He used to jeer at Rudolf when the saw each other in the street. Later he got 12 years - reduced to 7 for murder. Rudolf now lives in New Zealand. 

Mr Kasker was a customer of mine and such a great guy. He had been attacked and been held at gunpoint a number of times. But ever the gentleman, he opened the door for thieves to exit the shop one day, and they killed him on the way out. Three days ago, his boss was killed in his home.

John, was a qualified electrician and hadn't had work for years. He relocated 1500 km to find work, and lived with his sister. I agreed to employ him and it was in his first month that someone killed him and his sister and uncle at the door of their house - a case of mistaken identity.

My close friend Alan was attacked in his house the other day. The attackers threatened to rape his daughter and told his daughter that she would watch her dad die in front of her. Fortunately for Alan he managed to escape with nothing more than a few bruises. But he has been deeply affected by the event.

The list goes on and on and on....  

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#35 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

corruption goes over years

anyone remember the Dolphin group scandal of several years ago involving Mapamapulga provincial parks

warrents given over for money in exchange for development rights with very little public disclosure of the terms

it ended up with the head of the parks board being dismissed on full pay as his contract had been written up in inprecise terms

the dolphin group had a prior record in kenya of being paid in advance for arms to be used at the police academy . they kept the payment and delivered nothing.

then there was the revllation that premier matthews posha had a whole lot of state improvements in his private home for security no obligation to repay the cost

all reported in the MAIL AND GUARDIAN along with a statement that "scientific research " showed that the latest series BMW cars were needed for safe travel on the provinces roads, so all cabinet ministers were issued with one

life is wonderfull

#36 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

http://www.iol.co.za...sters-1.1507349

Pres Zuma says there is anto corruption talk in south africa, but how much is really done

#37 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

@COSMIC RHINO,anybody that believes this ,has no idea as to, really what is going on here, Zuma has learnt from Mugabe who is the worlds biggest bu***sh***ter ,politically speaking. 

#38 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

pres zuma comes over to me as corrupt and ineffectual

if it was not so serious he would be a big jester in his supposed own court

#39 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

this looks very bad to me , if J Zuma just wanted to be a friend in support why have the TV camera there?

http://mg.co.za/arti...h-ubuntu-values

#40 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

It is all about power and getting realected,JZ really does not give a hoot about Mandela anymore,the ANC have got what they want now,so Mandela era is a thing of the past.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.