See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Dengue Fever...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,429 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Has anyone contracted this whilst on Safari? If so, what were the symptoms you suffered? How is it treated?

This report has us a little concerned in Portugal...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,509 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thankfully not. Here is some general info on Dengue: http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#3 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,631 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

My father don't reacted dengue fever in WW2, but don't think that counts!

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#4 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,429 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Knowing my luck, I'll catch it here, and not in Africa...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#5 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

Its easily treatable if caught early - quite a few cases around here and in India and I know lots of people who were down with Dengue last year- just keep the symptoms in mind and make sure the GP treats you for Dengue as the only problem I can see is its not yet as common in Europe to be on top of the mind for treatment. But that might have changed.

#6 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,088 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

There was a Dengue outbreak in India a couple of years ago -

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#7 africapurohit

africapurohit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Here is the NHS advice on Dengue - in the majority of cases it is self-limiting. There are no cures but the symptoms can be treated.

Do take note of the "complications" section which talks about the symptoms of the rare and more severe manifestations of Dengue haemorrhagic fever and Dengue shock syndrome

http://www.nhs.uk/Co...troduction.aspx

#8 Toubab

Toubab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

A good friend of mine got caught in the dengue outbreak a couple years back in India. He was a bit late in acknowledging the first symptoms and thus spent 3 weeks intubated on an hospital bed with quite significant bone pain and sweating a lot (he lost 15 kgs over the 3 weeks). He was pretty unlucky since symptoms usually go away more rapidly.

The Pasteur Institute (http://www.pasteur.f...ctieuses/dengue) suggests haemorrhagic version is gaining proportionnally a bit of ground, coming from the Caraibs.

"A goat never believes a mortar is empty" (Wolof proverb)

Toubab.org (Blog - French only)

Photo Galleries - Africa (Cape Verde + Senegal + Tanzania)

#9 Anthilltiger

Anthilltiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Outbreak of dengue fever in Dar es Salaam currently, so if you're traveling to Tanzania - even if you're only overnighting in Dar on the way to or from a safari, take care and cover up.

#10 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,839 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

It's prevalent in SIngapore. it breaks out every year because of the humid and wet seasons, and the Aedes mosqiutoes will breed even in a 1 sterling-pound coin size still pool  of water. 

I caught it when i was a student in singapore, and didn't even know it had advanced to a dengue heamoragghing fever until my legs buckled and I saw the GP. my blood platelets were darn low. My husband caught it about 8 years ago and landed in hospital for over 1 week. his platelets plunged to below 20,000 (normal range is over 140,000).

The posts are right - there is no cure. if the platelets plunge below a certain level, the person will need blood transfusion (herman needed 3). in serious cases, the person has to be bedded as any cut can lead to endless bleeding (platelets help the blood clot and stop the bleeding). in very serious cases, bleeding can just occur internally - organ bleeding or nose bleeding. so the best place to be in is in the hospital.

it's not transmittable. only the mosquito who bites an infected person, can transmit to you. there are 4 types of aedes mosquitoes in singapore, and you are not immune to a second dengue attack, though effects from a  second attack are more severe.

the first sign is continuous fever, muscle aches and headaches. signs are almost flu-like, except in flu, the fever goes off after a day or 2. there is now immediate tests for dengue; eight years ago, you had to wait for a week to confirm it! 

in the case of dengue, prevention is definitely important. aedes mosquitoes bite either at dusk or dawn. so cover up, or burn mosquito coils, or spray citronella on yourself especially if you are going into bushy or damp places. be vigilant and make sure you don't have stagnant pools of water (including flower vases or empty fish ponds or even water in plants). they breed very fast. 

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.