Safari to Paxos, Greece

samburumags

gallery_6341_277_8127.jpg

I promised GW that I would send a photo so here it is. Missing my trip report writing so this is to cover 2012. Watch this space for 2013.

That looks to be a great looking meal :) What was in the black casserole dish?

The more I loom the hungrier I get....

That was supposed to be "look" but I quite like it.

I'd love to loom over a feast that big too :)

Black dish = lamb stifado yum :rolleyes::P

A culinary safari. No binoculars or sunscreen needed.

I know a couple people who would actually say, "the more I loom the hungrier I get." They are weavers who are good cooks.

There must have been a bird sighting or two in Greece. Probably some lovely scenery photos. A few accounts of scrumptious meals, and there's the report!

Yes Lynn but its for a Greek forum dont you think? We saw some geese and a seagull with a broken wing. Also we met Roland the fruit eating rat who ran up and down the olive tree outside our window but sadly never stayed long enough for a photo!

Safaritalk is a forum for anything Mags. Now, start writing. More food pics. I'll decide whats good and what's not for ST :)

We " safaried" in Greece last May - grilled WILD calamari in Naxos; ELUSIVE shrimp (Saganaki) in Santorini and a Preador's feast of lamb meatballs in Athens. We ate as well as we ever have in Africa.

Well to be honest, in all our travels (inc. France) the BEST food ever. If you can plan a stopover on the way to Africa, I highly recommend the Wild Island Food Tour.

• 4 weeks later...
Nature Traveler

We are actually planning on going to Greece for a nature safari of sorts this coming summer...But what is there to see in Greece?

We are actually planning on going to Greece for a nature safari of sorts this coming summer...But what is there to see in Greece?

Apart from the sources of Western civilisation you mean? Not much. But try and stay clear of thieving taxi drivers :angry:

Edited by johnkok

luangwablondes
But what is there to see in Greece

From your profile as naturalist, you might want to check out the beaches.

To be honest I have never looked for fauna when in Greece I have always been more interested in plants, tavernas and beautiful scenery. In Paxos, our favorite island, we have met a couple of taxi drivers but never had a problem with them, they may be different in the big cities. If you want spectacular birds etc you should go to Crete and do the Samaria Gorge but you need to be very fit (I have actually done it twice but couldnt any more!) No there is nothing really exciting like lions on a kill or stampeeding buffalos but there is peace, quiet and pleasant temperatures, along with tasty food (if you go to the right places) and blue sea. Enjoy

In Paxos, our favorite island, we have met a couple of taxi drivers but never had a problem with them, they may be different in the big cities.

My original response was a little tongue in cheek. Greece is of course full of wonderful sights, starting with all those places (with names) that resonate with being the cradle of western civilisation.

As for taxi drivers, we met a few unscrupulous ones in Athens, so we actually preferred to book a car and driver for the whole day to drive us around rather than be at the mercy of the the taxis. I also hasten to add that the taxi driver we had in Thessaloniki was a very nice guy who used to work in a large corporation but quit because he never saw his children (this was before the Greek crisis). He bought himself a nice Mercedes Benz limo and was scrupulously honest.

Sorry for being off topic. Just trying to redeem myself :)

Nature Traveler

Thanks - we do plan on heading for Samaria Gorge and looking for the Cretan Wild Goats. I hear that M. Monk Seals are about on the beaches from time to time but no way to know where or when....Should be fun to spot fauna between the ruins stops....

Tusker, (was it you I saw on Trip Ad today?) Samburumags hopes to be back in the bush next year health and wealth permitting!

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_6341_277_8127.jpg

I promised GW that I would send a photo so here it is. Missing my trip report writing so this is to cover 2012. Watch this space for 2013.

That's it. I don't need to read anything else. This wins.

You'd only need to read some of my last (unfinished) TR to know I am deadly serious :|