See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

First time Safari advice.

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

My intial thoughts for first timers

8. You will probably want to see lions - most of us do- but lions need other less iconic species to survive, so everything you see will have direct or indirect value as it is all interlinked

~ @wilddog

Thank you for writing that.

The centrality of ecological interlinkages between species is one of the most profound realities observable on safaris.

What you've expressed is precisely why I enjoy safaris so much.

It's not any disdain for the keystone predators, but rather appreciation for the supporting players whose lives are fascinating to observe firsthand.

Tom K.

#42 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

What is the best way to deal with mosquitos, tsetse flies etc? What do you use to prevent bites and or treat them?

~ @Game Warden

To date I've never yet seen tsetse flies in Kenya.

During the most recent safari I asked Anthony about them. 

He replied that where we visit they don't tend to be much of an issue.

As to mosquitos, aside from minuscule ankle-biters, they've never been much of an issue.

Here and there a bit of buzzing at night, but nothing of genuine concern.

Tom K.

#43 Anthilltiger

Anthilltiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

For self driving campers interested in planning tips on why it's important not camp under a flowering tree or what to do when your jack collapses or why you need to know your torch works before you leave and where it's stored, and how to fit a mozzy net to your roof tent with it sagging all over, you check out this blog http://anthilltiger..../logistics.html

Note the other pages on the blog for viewing wildlife (which includes catching migrations) and photography. Unless your with a guide, don't expect to rock up at a park and see lions stnading around!

• SafariChick, TonyQ and anthracosaur like this

#44 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

it is best to be cautious all year , however insects are most active  when it is warmer

I always fully cover with clothing long trousers, long sleaved shirt.  this also provides protection against thorn scratches.

I  use  a herbal repellant ,as  I don't like the possible side effects of strong chemical products like Rid.   I used it once and almost immediately broke out in hives .  The label is marked my damage synthetic fabrics and plastic glasses frames, which makes me wonder what could it do to me?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#45 LinnVictoria

LinnVictoria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

My husband to be and I are planning our honeymoon in November. This will be our first safari and my second time in Africa. We were quite certain of Tanzania (Tarangire, Serengeti, Ngorongoro) but one travel is trying to convince us that Kenya is much better. We are looking for a really close nature experience with incredible landscapes and the privilege of seeing elephants, giraffs, cheetahs, lions... Could you experienced safari travelers give us some advice.

Thanks in advance!

• Tom Kellie likes this

#46 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

~ @LinnVictoria

Welcome to Safaritalk!

It's very nice of you to join us.

Your avatar image immediately seized my attention!

If it's ever comfortable and convenient we'd enjoy reading a self-introduction in the Introductions section.

Tanzania is so well described by trip reports in the Tanzania section that it requires no further fanfare.

Top quality sightings, excellent biodiversity, and well-run lodges and camps. Your future husband and you are sure to have a lovely honeymoon in Tanzania.

I've visited Kenya for ten safaris, including one earlier this month. 

It may be different than Tanzania, but it's unclear how any one location might objectively be better than another.

What stood out to me in your nice post was your interest in seeing “incredible landscapes”.

Might I please mention the names of both Meru National Park and Samburu National Reserve?

At present, respected Safaritalk members @TonyQ and @offshorebirder have posted trip reports showing their recent first-rate safari experiences in those locations.

Both Meru and Samburu feature the wildlife species you've mentioned, plus their settings are spectacular, especially in afternoon light.

I hope that you and your fiancé will have a wonderful honeymoon in East Africa!

With Best Wishes,

Tom K. 

• Windybres likes this

#47 Tomas

Tomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:09 AM

Here are some of my tips. I have been a safari guide and PH since 1996 in Africa (Tanzania Tunisia) and Scandinavia. This tips is for Tanzania but I am sure they apply for other safari destinations.

1. It is in the mornings and evenings you see the most, especially the most interesting animal behaviors like hunting and socializing. Always make sure that you start your safari early and end late. Demand this from your guide and read the regulation for the park make sure you start as early as you are allowed and end as late as possible.

2. Don’t rush if you want to see as many animals in a short time as possible go to a zoo!   

3. Do not stress the animals.

4. Bring a good binocular then you don’t need to be 5 meters from the animals to see them properly.

5. Spend time with the animals, if you find a nice pride of lions find a good spot, settle down take a soda and watch them for a while, the chance is that you will see some action. If it is in the middle of the day take a drive and come back to watch the lions in the afternoon.

6. Spend some time studying about you destination and the wildlife, it will give you a nicer and more interesting experience.   

#48 Tomas

Tomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

~ @LinnVictoria

Hi here are some more tips for Tanzania.

Arusha national park is not bad at all and has some really nice views, I like personally like to stay at Hatari Lodge. Not the best park for a lot of wildlife but giraffe and buffalo you will see and a lot of primates and it is close to go to the big plains and parks like Serengeti and Ngorongoro where the best chance is to see cheetah and rhino. Arusha nat park is a romantic park and Hatari really nice for a honeymoon I even think I will spend mine there (o; when the time comes and my wife and I have time to finally take the honeymoon we deserve (o:

Kitulo is a very nice park for an incredible experience it is best during the wet season but November if the small rain has started is really nice with a lot of flowers and colors Here is a link
http://www.tanzaniap...com/kitulo.html
No real nice lodges that I know of and a little bit adventurous but a really nice and different park.

I imagen you want really nice  accommodation and then maybe some of the more remote parks is out of the question where it can be hard to find good lodges.

My favorite parks is Ruaha and Katavi not only because I guide in this parks they have less tourists and more game than other parks. Ruaha is the lion park number one and has cheetahs to but they can be hard to see. They both have really excellent lodges for honeymooners

Serengeti is hard to beat when the migration is in the park but I think there is too many cars there for my taste.

Good luck and have a really nice safari

#49 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

• if booking on your honeymoon ,it would be a good idea to mention it to your agent, they operators might offer a complementary  bonus
  • some areas of Kenya and Tanzania  are similar to some extent
  • the northern area od Kenya in Samburu and Meru  has stunning scenery
  • how far have you planned your trip ? how many days do you have available, has an itinerary been suggested to you ?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#50 Neeners815

Neeners815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:47 AM

I just read through this for some tips for our upcoming trip. I know this is an older thread, but it certainly has some good info. One question though: I see someone said we need 6 blank pages in our passport. I was told 4. We are arriving in Johannesburg and transferring to Victoria Falls. From there we are staying a couple of nights, then getting going on the Princess houseboat for a few nights, and finally we go to Botswana for the remainder of our trip. Thanks very much for your help.

#51 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

@Neeners815  Just checked the us gov page on passports and they say 2-4     I would think 4 would be sufficient, but at least that. I did see one woman almost not get on the flight to Joburg from Atlanta because they said she didn't have enough blank pages so they do look at that. Not sure what side of Vic falls you are doing, but if I recall, the Zimbabwean visa takes an entire page. 

• Neeners815 likes this

#52 Neeners815

Neeners815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

Thanks so much, @Imonmm!!

• lmonmm likes this

#53 Neeners815

Neeners815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

Hello again - I have a question re: footwear as I am reading opposing things elsewhere. How many different types of shoes do you take? Do we need hiking boots? We definitely don't plan on doing any hiking, but we might do a short walking safari (if we are brave enough). I wasn't sure if tennis shoes would be good enough as long as they have a hard rubber sole.

#54 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

You probably don't need hiking boots though I usually take them. Sneakers are fine though I can attest to an acacia thorn going through those pretty easily :)   I usually just have the boots (any type of good walking shoe/sneaker with a good sole would work) and sandals for siesta time. I'm trying to remember your itinerary- isn't there time in Vic falls and then a boat? Not sure how "dressy" those two pieces are, but you are limited in how much stuff you can bring anyway so don't stress it. And definitely go on a walk- they are fun :)

#55 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:30 PM

@Neeners815...we have always been told to have six blank pages.  Shoes....I wear a pair of sandals on the plane and have them if I need something nicer.  I bring a pair of Tevas, sox or no sox, and can rinse off.  And, a pair of sturdy walking shoes (tan).  These have always worked for four weeks in Africa.  Hope this helps.

• Neeners815 likes this

#56 Neeners815

Neeners815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:53 AM

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

#57 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,185 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:45 AM

Tennis shoes might be a bit flimsy - definitely for a walk as you might stub your toe. Running shoes would be fine. Remember it might rain and so some really light foowear that takes no space is useful inn case you have to dry out your shoes.

I don't think ti would be helpful for mne to discuss footwear further, although I am tempted. :)

Waiting again... for the next time again

#58 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:08 AM

Take shoes with a good thick sole  to prevent thorns going through them

camp shops only have tshirts, crafts etc, they  don't stock anything practical

also take a spare pair of shoe laces

• lmonmm likes this

#59 Big Andy

Big Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

I always wear my boots on the plane to save weight in the luggage  and then take them off when I get settled and fly in just my socks, it's comfortable and practical. 

• wilddog likes this

#60 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:06 AM

boots can be 5kg , there is no need to let the airline count that in your baggage allowance 

that is the way I have always travelled

I prefer  boots as they give better support to the foot

on one occasion I felt a bit of ankle discomfort from getting on and of the vehicle at a raised height, having boots tied up tight made that go away in a few days

never have your shoes or boots loose, always tie the laces firmly to avoid tripping over

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 14 September 2016 - 08:06 AM.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.