Sangeeta

Temporary Ban on Tourism in Indian Tiger Reserves

37 posts in this topic

Thanks for this, It's a shame it doesn't list the lodges and operators that will be affected. I shall see if I can get further info from Jo.

More clueless acts here ....... what their plan is to keep poachers out, I wonder? all too sad and makes my blood boil!!!!

Jo is waiting for more info. But at the moment it sounds like Ranthambhore and Corbett are not affected.

Posted (edited)

The Supreme Court has banned tourism in core areas of all tiger reserves of India till further notice As a result safari in all parks of India including Kabini, Jhirna zone of Corbett, zone 6-8 & Quaal ji area of Ranthambhore has been stopped effective today. The h'ble judge was preety upset with state goverments of tiger states for being unable to meet the deadline set by court to demarcate core & buffer zones of park twice. While the governments were fined for delay & ban was placed on tourism activities in core area till final order is passed, court has fixed 22Aug as the next date for hearing.

The original case was filed by Bhopal based NGO against MP government to stop tourism in four national parks of MP- Panna, Kanha, Bandhagarh & Pench. The said case was rejected by state high court & therefore had come in supreme court for hearing.

Impact on Ranthambhore:

Since i do not have much knowledge on ground realities of other parks, would restrict myself to impact of this judgement on Ranthambhore:

Tourism will come to a complete halt in Ranthambhore as the entire area of Ranthambhore which comprises of Ranthambhore National Park, Sawai Mansigh Sanctuary & Kela Devi Sanctuary is marked as Critical Tiger Habitat(CTH) so no tourism activities can be conducted in these areas. The areas which are so called buffer areas, where the court wants all tourism activities to be conducted does has been declared so only 28 days back & does exist on papers only.

With passing of Forest Rights Act which allowed people living near forests to have right over forest produces, NTCA had come out with the concept of CTH wherein in areas marked as CTH would not be covered by FRA. Therefore entire forest area which was earlier marked as core & buffer was hence classified as CTH aka new core. While this was a smart move to protect human activities in tiger homeland, the same move has now become a painful item.

While we would come to know the fate of wild life tourism in India post the verdict, I am hopeful that the ban would be lifted soon probably before Oct 1st, the date of reopening of parks in India after mandatory close period of 3 months. In all likelihood the laws related to tourism could be more stringent- for good or worse only time will tell.

As a citizen of India it is my right to roam in jungles of India & no law can take this away from me. Even the objective of setting up project tiger, the parent body for tiger conservation in in India also supports peoples ability to save our National Animal in wilderness.

The main objective of Project Tiger is to ensure a viable population of tiger in India for scientific , economic , aesthetic , cultural and ecological values and to preserve for all time, areas of biological importance as a natural heritage for the benefit, education and enjoyment of the people.

Edited by anurag sharma

Ditto the major Southern parks (Bandipur, Kabini, Mudumallai)- will post a link later today from the office saw someone's post on my fb feed ........

Sounds a bit like stopping the heart to save a limb.

I believe most of the tiger parks are closed at this time of the year. I hope this is sorted out by the time they are due to reopen..

Update on tourism ban case: the case will come up for hearing in court number 9 tomorrow. Case is scheduled at number 3 for hearing.Government has filed an affidavit asking for release of interim ban along with submission of newly drafted eco-tourism guidelines. fingers crossed, most likely one more date coming our way......however expecting the ban would be lifted shortly...

How is it affecting the new season in Ranthambhore? Are tourists booking anyway or not?

since the matter is subjudice right now, forest department has not opened the online booking system & it is surely impacting bookings. Guess people have adopted wait n watch policy.

Good day. I'm new to Safari talk but recognize some from Fodor's forums. I am currently in the planning stages of a tiger safari in February with another couple. We are holding off on making any reservations until the ban is resolved. I appreciate reading all that you folks have posted.

Welcome Mixter603: you might not recognise me, have not posted there for a long time...

Start your Indian trip planning thread here, and let's see if we can get some input. We have members who have been to India on Safari a number of times, as well as for instance, Anurag and Dicky who are based in and around Ranthambhore.

Don't forget to say hello to the rest of us in the introductions subforum here.

Matt.

Welcome! Still lots of room on my Mammal fest tip planned for Feb/March and if that doesn't float your boat the I can put you in touch with my friend Jo who can tailor make someting to your specifications at a very competitive rate! :)http://safaritalk.net/topic/8203-gujarat-and-tadoba-now-with-fully-priced-out-itinery/page__st__20

Mixter, I think you'll have more info October 3.

next hearing on 3rd October, in all likelihood the ban will be lifted with immediate effect on 3rd as agreed in principle during yesterday's hearing.

Let's hope so! When were the parks due to open for the season?

next hearing on 3rd October, in all likelihood the ban will be lifted with immediate effect on 3rd as agreed in principle during yesterday's hearing.

Oh I hope you are correct. Then we can definitely start making plans. I've gotten myself so excited over this trip that it would be such a disappointment if we can't go.

kitty: Ranthambhore opens for visitors on 1st Oct & all other parks by 15th Oct....

Thanks, total nightmare for tour operators in that case! Hope they sort things soon.

Latest update: The ban continues till 9th Oct, next designated date for hearing by court

Oh this is getting ridiculous! :angry:

Oh this is getting ridiculous! :angry:

haha , you should see this over dramatized bollywood movie where a yester year star goes on hamming about how the Indian court gives, dates after dates :) I think compared to how everything else is done, this might be super fast actually!

I think the problem might be with the parks, where they are yet to set out all of the zoning demarkations that the Govt expects from them ...... This might be the cause of the delay.