See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

An update on the progress of the Ishaqbini hirola sanctuary

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
  • Local time: 03:21 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

The fence seems to be jumpable for leopards and lions, but I am hoping that I am wrong.

I suppose that there are no elephants around ...

I'm hoping you are wrong too! Can you clarify this, Safaridude? Not much anyone can do against a determined ele, but I am sure they must have considered the fence height and design carefully.

Sorry... been away. There are not many elephants there. I don't think lions can jump over the fence. The only potential issue is leopard. They will continue to monitor the sanctuary for predators, obviously. What is remarkable about the whole Ishaqbini area is how productive the ecosystem is. Even though there will be some 100+ ungulates (hirola, giraffe, topi, oryx, lesser kudu, gerenuk, etc.) inside the sanctuary, there's still a lot of game in the greater area, so predators wouldn't necessarily be pressured to hone in on the sanctuary for food.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.