A picture a day.

Game Warden

Hi John, we are in the Adelaide Hills. Re the email address, it is a seldom used one I have kept for some time. We are not associated with a well know laboratory although I consider them friends. Clear as mud.

madaboutcheetah

Hi Twaffle,

I have been following that cheetah id website link that you provided the other day. From the Serengeti - Curious about the coalition "Mocha, Latte, Espresso" or something like that.

Guest John Milbank

Twaffle,

The next few weeks might be the time to take a look at that tree. My files tell me I took the photo in early Dec, so it's about flowering time now...though every season is different and this year's dry conditions might have made it flower earlier. The noise of the loris should lead you to it :huh:

John, thanks for the heads up, I'll go looking.

Madaboutcheetah - I will have another look at that site as I can't remember a reference to the coffee coalition. It is not the easiest site to navigate quickly. I am still reading through some of the older newsletters. Pretty good work that they are doing. Now I need to finance a trip to Tanzania so I can use their data sheets for some identifying and observations. Interesting details on the DNA profiling to find parentage and links to some strong coalitions, I thought. Probably this info should be on a separate thread. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

You haven't seen the two new males that have taken over from Milky Eye and his friend, have you? Not impressive at all ........ Should Milky Eye return from the South or the 4 young Lagoon males return from the mopane - they will have to vacate their new prize.

From humorous to majestic, these are great. The snake and mongoose are a classic pair. I'm betting the aerial lion shot of Nyama's is from the microlight.

One of my favs here was of a female Lion in the Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia.

We came around the corner and was confronted by this look she gave us, we had inadvertently interrupted herself and her partner in the throes of embrace!!!

Nikon D2Xs 300f/2.8 VR ISO100 1/1250S f/3@300.

Cheers

Marc

210425208_EBciT-XL-1.jpg

The eye contact is awesome and somewhat frightening: makes one feel like prey... Great shot Marc, and glad to see you back onboard.

Matt

It's the cliched title "If looks could kill!"

Appreciate the comments Matt. :lol:

Guest John Milbank

That is a frightening look!

We were on the receiving end of that kind of stare under similar circumstances at Selinda. The lioness was very close to us, about one bound away, and her look froze us completely...cameras stopped clicking.

What a fantastic photo, I would be happy to have it hanging on the wall (the photo not the lion, of course) and when I have a bad day I could look at it and know that it could be worse.

Great photo. Certainly got the look. Here two pics of a lion Charge...

gallery_4095_50_18306.jpg

gallery_4095_50_26767.jpg

Were you very far away when you took the photos?

This charging lion looks beautifully groomed without any evidence of a hard life, almost like he is straight out of a beauty parlour. Perhaps he takes good care of himself. :D

You are completely right. This lion is in captivity, and has lived in comfort. I think we disturbed him whale he was watching TV. He did find the camera offensive and charged the fence.

I had just bought the 50D and doing some tests.

post-5612-1228875936_thumb.jpg

Keeping with the theme "if looks could kill". No zoom required on this one.

Those are some kind of lion shots! You're going to give me bad dreams now.

Guest John Milbank

This also is a captive shot. Somehow, a fence is conducive to steady hands :lol:

Strange, but people looking for commercial images nearly always go for those without scars, roughed-up fur, smears of blood, or clouds of flies, all the telltale signs of 'wild.' What does that tell us about the marketplace for wilderness?

Lion507.jpg

You are right John.

But your photo is still very good. Just imagine how many people have had a crack at photographing that lion and how few results are like yours.

I like your photo John. He's a beautiful fella, captive or not.

Guest John Milbank

Geoff hasn't had time yet to work on his latest Botswana/Zambia safari photos properly and show them, but he and I exchange images fairly regularly and I've seen a lot of them.

He has given me permission to post a couple. This is one of my favourites. These approaching bull elephants at Savuti must have been an awesome sight (I don't think Geoff was in a vehicle at the time).

elephant-bulls-arriving.jpg

©Geoff