A picture a day.

Game Warden

Mwana_Monze
Yes, the perfect place and a lovely photo - quintessentially Serengeti! ;)

Is this not a Kayak.. with this in mind, would it not be better to have a dugout so that tourists can enjoy the full African experience...

Mwana_Monze
gallery_78_24_192642.jpg

Ok, here's one of mine

Image was taken at Lake Turkana and she is one of ten Turkana women I photographed. Of course she is the one that gave me a kiss and that in itself is a story worth telling but will leave it for another time.

Equipment used:

Nikon D200

Nikon 28-70mm f2.8

Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)

Aperture: f/10

Focal Length: 50 mm

ISO Speed: 800

Exposure program: manual

I chose the high iso mainly because we were under a tree and having the bright sun in the backround made it dificult to get a good exposure.

"note the ring from a drink can on the earring"

What now, is this also wildlife? Lol!!!!! Seriously though, you people have excellent cameras.. I fancy myself as an amatuer camera man, but never in my life have I been able to take a picture half as good as the worst one I have seen here... Oh I hate you all.. Lol!!!!

Mwana_Monze
gallery_5074_92_128850.jpg

A different image from Zib, when it was still cheapish November 2006

Time to kill...

Mwana_Monze
One of my favs here was of a female Lion in the Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia.

We came around the corner and was confronted by this look she gave us, we had inadvertently interrupted herself and her partner in the throes of embrace!!!

Nikon D2Xs 300f/2.8 VR ISO100 1/1250S f/3@300.

Cheers

Marc

210425208_EBciT-XL-1.jpg

I would be angry too if I was interrupted when I was about to get it...

;)

I think some of the posts got out of order, which happens when you leave a reply window open too long when others are also posting.

So the serengeti comment went with ttacs lion and the smilie face with the kayak of pangolin's.

Thought I would add this old one taken at Lake Elmenteita, 1967 … that's my mother driving (I'm the small person on the road, just in case anyone thinks I was driving! B) )

95-15.jpg

Game Warden

Jag XK 150? You knew how to safari in style. What a great pic and great memory... tell me you still have that car.

Sadly no. B) We have replicas of all Dad's cars in dinky cars and such like, some of those are now worth a bit (apparently). Found them in an old shed under a pile of rubbish. Parents.

I often tell my father that selling some of his old cars was a big mistake, but he smiles gently at me and probably thinks about the other things he bought with the money!

We had some pretty fun safaris, no one seemed to mind us driving through game parks with the roof down. I remember when we moved from Uganda to Kenya, we drove across the border at a time when security on both sides was high, curfews in Kampala etc. I sat in the back of the Jag with my brother trying to hide our Siamese cat and he, of course, yowled in a manner only a siamese could. I thought he would be taken from my arms and destroyed … a very traumatic time. The Jag had a back seat which folded down to access the boot, so we moved him back and forth from boot to back seat. Deception started early. :D

Great photo and memory Twaffle.

The road looks in great condition too for 1967.

Thanks for sharing Twaff.

Twaffle,

What a lovely photo. I would have love to have had a childhood like that. All I knew of Africa was from films with

stars like Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr striding across the plains in very smart safari gear and kneelength boots!

Such was my ignorance that when I finally got to Africa in 1974, I took kneelength boots with me!

Jan

Great photo and memory Twaffle.

The road looks in great condition too for 1967.

Thanks, yes I don't remember the roads being particularly bad back then, all downhill in that regard now.

Twaffle,

What a lovely photo. I would have love to have had a childhood like that. All I knew of Africa was from films with

stars like Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr striding across the plains in very smart safari gear and kneelength boots!

Such was my ignorance that when I finally got to Africa in 1974, I took kneelength boots with me!

Jan

Kneelength boots, I bet you looked the part. :rolleyes:

Twaffle,

I wore them once, my husband laughed at me, and I packed them away in shame . We were using slides in those

days, now all packed away in the attic, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't allow a photo!

Jan

Game Warden

Especially for Jan... confess - you are really Honor Blackman aren't you? I loved you in "The Avengers"...

G. W.,

I love it! Mine were brown. I used to watch The Avengers, but no, I'm not Honor Blackman. She's a bit older than me,

but not much.

And yes, I've had my boots removed like that! I don't know what that does for my image!!!!

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Back to cats. Here is one from Chitabe in January 2004. I was pretty impressed that she posed this way just for us.

gallery_5746_183_253349.jpg

Atravelynn

Beautiful cheetah, Pangolin. Twaffle, your family photo is precious. There really are some interesting artifacts in that shed of yours.

• 2 weeks later...
Alex The Lion

Ok, not quite Africa........

But, thought I would share these with you. Taken on an underground tram/light show in Shanghai.

post-5095-1245037743_thumb.jpg

post-5095-1245037755_thumb.jpg

Dazzling! :lol:

russell, wonderful. Not quite the same as our London Tube, is it?

Jan

Game Warden

Come on Twaffle, I want some more classic car pics in Kenya...

I'm feeling the pressure! :lol:

I have to finish setting up our new computer system and then I will start to go through the slides. Dad had an Aston Martin in Kenya, but I'm not sure what photos were taken. I'll look.

• 4 weeks later...

I am making progress … in front of me I have my father's slide catalogue! Now I just need to identify the interesting ones and start scanning. Give me another few months and I'll be right into it! :lol:

I don't suppose you'll want to see the one titled "Xmas cards in the window" or the one titled "missed shot"? Perhaps the one "wild dogs at Murchison Game Park" would be historic at least, don't suppose there are many of those left in Uganda. And right in the middle is one titled "cable car to Oberlech" mmmm don't suppose that is appropriate in an Africa forum?! :)

I can see that I, at least, will have some fun. There is one titled "press meets Queen Wilhemina" which brings back memories as she saved my life when I was very little … but that is not a Safaritalk, Africa related subject either.

Aah, memories.........

(give the girl a drink, she's rambling)

Please, Twaffle, don't tease. I want to hear about you and Queen Wilhelmina!

Jan