A picture a day.

Game Warden

Game Warden

Here we can highlight Safaritalk members most memorable images: favourite photographs, taken anywhere in Africa, India or elsewhere on your travels: wildlife, landscapes, people, architecture etc. Comments invited.

Please include brief details: where taken, equipment etc.

Game Warden

I'll start the ball rolling.

gallery_1_2_21545.jpg

Canon digital zoom compact.

On Kilimanjaro, 2005.

Well Mr Game Warden,

A few more details please.

Is there a story behind this image?

Why did you want to climb Kili?

A few friends of mine have said that they were too exhausted to even bother removing the lens cap after a certain height of the climb. Did you suffer from the same lethagy?

Game Warden

Hi Geoff: if you have a few minutes to spare... here is the trip report: "A week climbing Kilimanjaro"

The peak is Mawenzi, with my wife framed in front, taken at arrival at the last camp before the summit. For other photos from the climb have a look at my album here. Decided to do Kili because I didn't have the time, money or experience to do Everest. Took the Machame route up so acclimatization wasn't that bad, and took both a point and shoot Canon digital and trust old Nikon FM2N.

post-5120-1216942639_thumb.jpg

Canon 10D 100 - 400 mm

Selinda spillway (The Basin) Aug, 2005.

John will remember this sighting as one of his images was sold for the cover of a book.

white stork

Well I heard about this site through Facebook so something must be working.

Here is a pic of a Wild Dog I saw in Mana Pools, Zimbabwe a few weeks ago. We tracked the pack on foot (minus a guide - for those of you who don't know you can do this in Mana) for about 3 Ks but they didn't settle so gave up eventually. The pack had just killed an impala. It's the third time I've run into these animals in the wild so I count myself very lucky: once in the Okavango Delta, once in Hluhluwe (SA) and most recently in Mana.

Photo is shot with a Panasonic/Lumix compact

post-5300-1217148677_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

Welcome white stork, thanks for linking through from Facebook. Wild dogs are very special, and members of Safaritalk recently raised over a thousand dollars to finance anti snare collars for the Painted Dog Project (Zimbabwe). It can be seen here.

You can also open your own photo album on Safaritalk if you wish to host images here. Look forward to seeing more of your work and posts.

Matt

madaboutcheetah

Hi Ken,

Nice pic of one of the boys - From memory the third guy died later in the same year - 2005?

I hope to see the new coalition of three when I get there end of September.

There are couple members who write at the other forum who are on safari right now - between Lebala, Savuti and Selinda. I will be keen to read as to what they are seeing.

I presume we are into week 2... Up to and including Sunday 03 August.

In keeping with white stork's wilddog image. Here is a sight not many people would have seen. Wildog pups inside the den. Apologies for the blown out white bit along the bottom edge. Interesting how many people state how lucky they are to see these animals. I've seen wilddog on every safari since 1998. If you've been in the Linyanti in the last 10 years I'd say you're unlucky not to have seen them.

post-5120-1217299332_thumb.jpg

Canon 10D 100-400 mm

Selinda Concession 2005

Den site was just off the transit route not far from the old Zib camp.

Guest John Milbank
I presume we are into week 2... Up to and including Sunday 03 August.

Here is a sight not many people would have seen. Wildog pups inside the den.

That was a memorable trip for wild dogs for us, Geoff...also for lion, cheetah & others. My wild dog strike rate from 1998-2008 inclusive is 50%, and I didn't really expect to see them this year...so make that 60%. I never did understand why many people ignored advice that the Linyanti region (Selinda, Kwando & Linyanti) was one of the best for wild dogs, and went elsewhere instead.

madaboutcheetah

Talking of dogs - I think, this year may just well be a bumper year for the dogs - with broken off packs from both the Selinda and Lagoon packs also trying to hang around their former areas. Plus, I have read reports of other pack/s further South - Kings Pool etc etc., no idea about details of those, though .........

Alex The Lion

As dogs seem the topic of the week......

90558128.jpg

Taken at Kwando Lagoon, the dog is affectionately know as terminator. As of March 2008, broke off with two females to form a new pack in the area.

Canon 5D and 500mm F4

Shutter speed: 1/50 second

Aperture: F4

Exposure compensation: -1/3 Stop

Focusing: AI servo

Game Warden

John the scops owl shot is almost like in 3D. Agree with Ken, very nice indeed.

The level of members skill is incredible and I love to see examples of everyone's work.

Russell, did you pan the shot as the wild dog was moving?

Matt

The running wild dog is a very good photo.

Alex The Lion
I'm rather fond of this little feathered predator, seen on my latest trip:

Great capture John, I am always impressed with your flash work. I tend to not take many a photo after dark!

John the scops owl shot is almost like in 3D. Agree with Ken, very nice indeed.

The level of skill is incredible and I love to see examples of everyone's work.

Russell, did you pan the shot as the wild dog was moving?

Matt

Matt, it is indeed a panned shot. I have a sequence of around 8-9 shots. There are two that I consider keepers. Panning is a game of risk..............

The running wild dog is a very good photo.

Thanks DikDik.......I had been trying to a good predator pan shot for a while.

Alex The Lion
That is a very nice shot in difficult circumstances. We went to Zib 7 times and missed the Dogs on two ocassions which is not bad as we were only there once in denning season. As for Kwando it took us until our 24th game drive to see the Lagoon pack (now that is bad luck), but we have certainly made up for it since.

Lets hope all of the break up packs prosper I am all for more Wid Dogs this view is not probably shared by the Impalla.

Here is an old one of the Alpha Female from the breakaway pack in 2003, sadly these 4 did not survive.

post-5074-1217313670_thumb.jpg

How did you get such a low point of view on this shot?

Such a good point. Something so effective and difficult to achieve. I thought the same of the photo of johns Elephant stretching to the tree in in the other post.

Still looking for the ultimate Kudu picture, I saw one on the cover of the farmers weekly. It looks like the photographer was tramped on by the Kudu.

Guest John Milbank

Such a good point. Something so effective and difficult to achieve. I thought the same of the photo of johns Elephant stretching to the tree in in the other post.

Still looking for the ultimate Kudu picture, I saw one on the cover of the farmers weekly. It looks like the photographer was tramped on by the Kudu.

I'm not one to turn my nose up at any photo opportunity, so I often find myself aiming the camera in indifferent light and from an ordinary position, but a low perspective and golden early or late light are two of the most important ingredients of a good nature image. Elephant and giraffe do tend to make a low point of view easy, of course, but I love it when I see targets on termite mounds-- they are so helpful :rolleyes:

Game Warden

gallery_1_3_9388.jpg

Maasai woman and child taken through gate of their boma. Tanzania, Canon digital zoom set on automatic.

Game Warden

Week three, up to and including 10th August.

Guest John Milbank

OK.

Before we flew to Zambia, we did the tourist thing and spent a couple of days admiring the scenery in the Blyde River Canyon area of South Africa. The idea was to break the long journey from Adelaide so we didn't arrive flattened in SLNP.

We stayed three nights at a lodge just out of Hazyview, overlooking the Sabi Valley. This was part of the scenery in the lodge's 'front garden'. taken just after sunrise. It's a pretty hefty file, being a medium format shot, so I've saved it at only 40% quality and it's still bigger than most of my 35mm images:

ChestnutsunriseMF2.jpg

Alex The Lion

As John has set a precedent for landscape photos, I thought I would follow suit

90543092.jpg

The Luangwa River from the air, on the decent back into Tafika.

Taken From: Micro Light

Camera: Canon 5D

Lens: 17-40

Shutter Speed: 1/2000th Sec

Aperture: f/4

ISO: 640

Game Warden

gallery_1_2_27248.jpg

Here's my early morning shot taken from Kili's summit overlooking the crater into the sunrise.

Point and shoot Canon digital zoom, and yes the batteries were still okay after a night climb and freezing temps.