See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

Safari options up to 200 US$ PPPN.

41 posts in this topic

Please list below options for budget safaris/tours which, excluding international airfare come to no more than 200 US$ PPPN. There will be further topics for 200-400 US$, 400-600 US$ etc.

If contributing to this thread, please state if you have personally used this service as a tourist, have seen it offered online or elsewhere, (if so, where, when and from whom), or are offering this option as a trade professional. (See forum rules at top of this page). Also if this is a special offer at set seasons/discounted for Safaritalk members etc.

Please include:

• Cost PPPN.
  • Country.
  • Itinerary if possible.
  • Park/s.
  • Type of accommodation.
  • Company name, website and contacts.
  • If a tour, what the minimum number of pax the tour can run with, and if a tailor made itinerary, what the costs are based on the number of travelers.
  • Any other relevant details: eg whether single supplements are applicable, whether ground transport is included, if meals are additional and so forth. (Note, at this cost, air transfers won't be included, and likely neither ground transfer.

If posting as someone who has used this service, please link to your trip report as well, if you have written one.

Please note, Safaritalk is neither promoting nor endorsing any of the safaris detailed below and has not received any inducement from those operators included. Always research the marketplace and find what is right for your needs. Prices and details are subject to change and you are recommended to contact each operator personally and to seek feedback from other Safaritalk members who may have used these services.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Okay game warden, challenge met.

This is a 14 night South Africa tour that goes for around US133.00 (R1 067.00) per person per night and a total price of US$ 1869 (R14 950.00) for the full 14 nights.

It travels through South Africa (the obvious part) starting in Johannesburg and ending in Cape Town. Attractions include the Kruger National Park, Swaziland, St Lucia, the Drakensberg, the wild Coast, Kynsna, Oudtshoorn and Cape Town.

Although this tour a visits the Kruger National Park it really is more about sightseeing South Africa as a whole as opposed to a wildlife orientated Safari.

Accommodation is generally in three star hotels, guesthouses and bed and breakfasts.

Offered by Uyaphi.com.

South Africa Tour

Contact us via the ablove link if you're interested in the quote, or contact me through this forum and I will pass you on to a consultant.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the day.

Just on another note, this is only one of many pleasant safaris that we can offer in Africa for approximately that US200.00 per person per night basis.

James

Edited by Uyaphi Safaris
1 person likes this

Good start!

Are we encouraged to comment on this thread, GW?

And to clarify, it is not intended just for people who can actually offer the safaris, right?

PaulT: this is for those who have been on a safari in this price range, have seen it offered, or, those in the travel profession who can offer such a deal. I encourage everyone to contribute to build up a database of such affordable trips.

You can do plenty of SA for under $200pppn. I think even the guided walking trails in Kruger and Hluhluwe are much less than that. Tembe Elephant park is from R800 to R1200 pppn - on a sliding scale based on the number of days staying. Limpopo Lipadi P1600 or much less depending on the number of people in the group.

Posted (edited)

You are really going to struggle to find any trip to a decent wildlife area, during peak season that falls within this budget, aside from Overlands or budget mobiles, where you often spend a lot of time on the road or in real peripheral areas. You could find a few SA lodges in more peripheral areas, or self drive the main parks. I would be surprised to find anything in a good safari for less than $200 outside of SA and possible Namibia.

In East Africa, Mara fees are approaching $100 per day, which wipes out 50% of the budget, as an example.

What do you want your $200 pppn to include? There are plenty of budget options (lodges included), though you either end up in a poor area or paying the difference on the ground eg park fees, meals, extra game drive costs.

I have stayed for a couple of R&R days at Wildlife Camp, in the Luangwa valley. The costs would be the following;

Barefoot Room - $40

2 x Game Drive - $90

1 x Park Fee - $25

1 x $50 return pick up from the Airport.

Then you are going to need to drink and eat too, probably another $40 per day.

This does not include getting to Mfuwe either. If you fly the cost is around $4-500 return if I remember.

By the time you add in Park fees and internal travel, even their bargain $150 per night in the green season will probably break the $200 mark.

Even self-drives, by the time you add all the costs are high, if you have to rent everything - It now costs $50 per day per person to camp at Savute, in Chobe National Park. The cost for a budget mobile using Hatab sites are far lower.

Edited by Game Warden
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I chose Tremisana Lodge, in Balule with Viva Safaris in October 2011.

Reasons:

I didn't want to drive on my own and, with a Mana Pools trip planned out for the following August, didn't want to fork out the big bucks on sabi sand. I also wanted to prioritise the diving element of the trip. The cost of the safari portion equated to £580 for 5 nights and included pick up from Joburg arport and drop off at my hotel in Joburg on the last day all meals, and all game activities.

That works out at around $187 PPPN I travelled alone. This is my TR:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/7615-balule-and-kruger-on-a-budget-and-a-week-in-tofo-mozambique/

About Balule:

Balule used to be a hunting concession, therefore the animals are quite skittish. It does not appear to be particularly game-rich, whch was as I expected, given the cost. The habitat is a combination of fairly thick scrub, and more open areas. They do not off-road but drive along the dirt tracks. There are very few vehicles (the most we saw was one other). Leopard is seen, but rarely (I did not see any). Elephants pass through the area approx every 2 to 3 weeks. I did not see any in Balule. I was told that animals can roam into Balule from Kruger. Tremisana lodge is right near the entrance. As such, the road noise does hinder the feeling of being "in the bush" when at the lodge.

About the lodge

The lodge was very nice and comfortable though not as fancy as Elephant Plains. They have a very small waterhole which is overlooked by the Lapa in which Breakfast is served. They also have avery small bathing pool, which I didn't use. The food is tasty and dining is more informal than at e.g. ele plains, with the guests and staff dining together. The staff are lovely and friendly. Thee are some nice sunbirds that frequent the lodge, wit helmeted guneafowl and Yellow-billed hornbills common around the waterhole. A troupe of vervet monkeys provide entertainment while having breakfast but I didn't see any other game in the vicinity of the lodge, despite it being set in a relaively open area (for Balule).

I would recommend it if you:

Want to visit kruger and don't want to/can't drive

Are looking for a whole package budget experience.

Are travelling alone.

Want to focus on general game viewing rather than a scenic tour.

don't mind sharing a vehicle with others

are happy to stay in one or two lodges rather than move around.

don't care about not seeing a leopard.

want a reasobnably flexible service so you can do activites "off plan", i.e. they were happy for me to swap out a trip to a rehabilitation centre for another drive in Kruger.

Don't care about getting into Kruger at the crack of dawn.

To be honest anywhere else I found was getting close to double the cost because most places don't offer transfers to/from Jo'burg, or don't offer the tour for 1 pax or charge a single supplement rate.

Link to my trip planning thread: http://safaritalk.net/topic/7075-balule-kruger-treehouse-safari/page__st__20

Link to my thread with their newsletters attached:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/8296-news-from-balule-and-kruger/page__pid__66808#entry66808

Can I also please point out that one of the excursions from this lodge is to Tshukudu Game reserve. Having read on this thread http://safaritalk.net/topic/8586-lion-cub-bites-tourist-in-the-face/page__gopid__67408#entry67408

It seems that this lodge may well be linked to a canned hunting operation. As such, I would recommend swapping out the one afteroon drive in that reserve for something else.

Edited by kittykat23uk

Here is another one I have done. I think these trips would do to be primarily safari/wildlife focused.

Travel company: Explore worldwide:

http://www.explore.co.uk/holidays/details/wildlife-safari-in-botswana-namibia-and-zambia?vid=533

Name of Tour: Botswana wildlife safari.

Cost from £1879 Without Flights which works out at around $200 PPPN.

Trip report here from 2007: http://www.kats-korner-uk.com/botswana.html

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601...7609198993732/

Itinery (my notes in italics):

Day 1: Join tour Maun

Arrive Maun and check into hotel. Maun is a dusty frontier town on the southern reaches of the Okavango Delta. Your afternoon here is free to relax or maybe take a stroll around Maun and begin to immerse yourself into the ways of Africa.

Overnight Standard Hotel (H+)

Day 2: Drive to houseboat; optional activities

We will have an early start this morning when we drive to the west side of the Okavango Delta Panhandle to meet our specially chartered houseboat. Due to the seasonal variations in the level and strength of the river, fed by rainfall in the Upper Zambezi basin, please be aware that for much of the year the houseboat itself remains securely moored and we explore the river by smaller launches. During our time on the river there may be a good possibility of seeing a variety of game (by which they mean hippo and crocs). On our launch, we may cruise past submerging pods of hippos, while crocodiles bask in the shallows and on the riverbanks. This is a home away from home where you are encouraged to enjoy this part of Africa. It is not hard to imagine yourself as David Livingstone when he was in Africa all those years ago!

Overnight Houseboat (U) Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Day 3: Optional activities

During our stay on the houseboat our itinerary is very flexible (well, not really, you either have a choice of doing the activities or not doing the activites, I asked if we could do an extra boat trip, not available, they were also rather ansi about the fishing, saying they didn't have permits- see trip report). A typical day involves one or two trips out on the houseboat launch to visit the surrounding area. On our launch, we may cruise past submerging pods of hippos, while crocodiles bask in the shallows and on the riverbanks. While you are here, you may also have the opportunity to do some bird watching from the houseboat, or maybe try your luck at fishing. Local fishermen are often seen aboard their traditional dugout canoes, known locally as mokoros. The golden light of late afternoon will also be enjoyed with a traditional ‘sundowner’.

The highlight for me was the colony of Southern carmine Bee-eaters that nest along the river- wonderul to see and I would have liked to spend more time with them.

Overnight Houseboat (U) Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Day 4: Visit to Tsodilo Hills

We include a days excursion to Tsodilo Hills. You can drive to this intriguing and profound and sacred place. The San Bushmen believe that this was the site of the first creation and as a result it is considered a holy and sacred place. They painted an astonishing 3500 rock paintings here to celebrate this over 350 different sites. There are four rocks that jut out of the expanse of the surrounding land and the San Bushmen believe that the bigger rock, the “male”, has a “wife” and “younger wife” who now lingers in the background. Those who leave do so with a profound sense of place and power!

Overnight Accommodation on Boat (U) Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Day 5: To Livingstone

An early morning start this morning sees us heading north to Namibia’s Caprivi Strip before heading to Livingstone in Zambia. The Caprivi Region has a colourful and interesting history. The Caprivi, known by local tribes as Itenge, was under the rule of the Lozi kings until the end of the 19th century, but it was administered as part of the British protectorate of Bechuanaland, now known as Botswana. As a result of the European superpower political maneuvering, Germany laid claim, in 1890, to the British administered island of Zanzibar to which Britain strenuously objected. The Germans were keen to link their colonies in German East Africa (now Tanzania) with German South West Africa (now Namibia). The dispute was settled by the Berlin Conference in 1890 when Queen Victoria acquired Zanzibar and Germany acquired the territory which became known as the Caprivi Strip. This strip of land was named after German Chancellor General Count Georg Leo von Caprivi di Caprara di Montecuccoli! Say that after a beer!

In other words, this is a transit day, you really don't stop along the strip, but we did see our first elephant and ostriches on the way.

Overnight Lodge (H+) Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch

Day 6: In Livingstone

Often referred to as the ‘adventure capital’ of Zambia, Livingstone is a pleasant town with a variety of land, air and water-based activities on offer in the surrounding area. A short drive can take you to one of the natural wonders of the world – Victoria Falls. We plan a visit to view the falls from the Zambian side of the river. Here, the Zambezi River plummets over a sheer cliff wall spanning more than 1676m, and drops approximately 100m into the abyss below. Like David Livingstone before us, you become aware of the awesome cataract long before seeing it. Plumes of water vapour rise like smoke into the sky accompanied by a deafening roar: a fact which inspired the natives to call the waterfall, Mosi-oa-Tunya, ‘The Smoke that Thunders’. You may choose to take an optional half-day game drive into Mosi-oa- Tunya National Park to search for white rhino. You may also like to take advantage of one of the other many optional activities on offer such as a scenic flight over the falls or white water rafting.

So basically a free day to spend doing what you like all at extra cost, including the visit to the falls itself!

Overnight Lodge (H+) Included meals: Breakfast

Day 7: Game viewing in Chobe National Park

We head to Kazungula and back into Botswana via the ferry over the Zambezi River and then drive into the Serondela area of Chobe National Park. A variety of habitats – flooded grassland, thicket, salt pan and particularly the banks of the Chobe River, one of the Zambezi’s main tributaries, is home to an abundance of wildlife. The northern Chobe area of Serondela is the heart of elephant country – up to 35,000 elephants live within the park, the largest number in any African park. This afternoon we will head out on our first game drive. This area is famed for its beautiful scenery, abundant wildlife and its magnificent red and gold sunsets.

Overnight Basic Camping © Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Day 8: AM Game Drive; PM Drive to Savuti

This morning we’ll take the opportunity to spend some more time watching huge trumpeting herds in and around the river. Other mammals to be seen are buffalo, kudu, eland, waterbuck, sable and roan antelope, zebra, lion, cheetah, leopard, impala, reedbuck and the rare Chobe bushbuck. In the river are hippo and crocodile and the waters teem with bream, barbel and tiger fish (freshwater barracuda). Next we travel south to the marshes of the Savuti Channel, another area with great concentrations of game.

Returning to the camp for lunch, we then headed back into Kasane to stock up on food (camp staff) and alcohol/water (the guests) for the rest of the trip. In the afternoon we all took the option of a boat trip along the Chobe riverfront at an additional cost of $35. To be fair, this was a bit of a no option option as no other game viewing was offered for that afternoon- as such basically a stealth fee which I think should have been included in the cost of the tour. They may have changed this because I have us transting to Savuti the next day

Day 9: Game Drives in Savuti

Today we will spend the whole day taking in the local scenery and wildlife in the Savuti region. This is an excellent place to view lion and other predators especially during the dry winter months. We may also have the opportunity to see some San bushman paintings.

Day 10: Drive to Moremi Game Reserve

Leaving our Savuti camp we continue over dirt roads into Moremi Game Reserve – one of Botswana’s most diversified reserves in terms of scenery and wildlife. Tucked into the north-eastern sector of the Okavango Delta, Moremi is thought to be the country’s most beautiful gameland, and is rated as one of Africa’s greatest wildlife sanctuaries. It covers an enormous wilderness area composed of permanent swamps, islands, forest and dry land – an ornithologist’s paradise. More birdlife and larger mammals may be spotted on the flood plain, including elephant, giraffe, zebra and ostrich, as well as predators like lion, leopard and wild dog.

Day 11: In Moremi Game Reserve

Here in Moremi early mornings and late afternoons are devoted to game viewing. Here in the Okavango silence reigns, broken only by the roar of a lion or the harsh cry of a fish eagle.

Day 12: Drive Xakanaxa; in the Okavango Delta

The mighty Okavango is the third largest river in southern Africa and its delta area covers 16,000 square kilometres of crystal clear channels, a myriad of ephemeral lakes and ever changing islands, surviving atop the Kalahari desert. The river flows south east from the Angolan highlands over 1,000 km away, taking up to 6 months to reach the delta area which floods on a perennial annual cycle. We drive into the Delta Literally in our case!to our camp at Xakanaxa in Moremi Game Reserve. Exceptional though the geography of the Delta may be, it is the amazing wildlife of the waterways that draws us and we plan to set out game viewing on our arrival.

Day 13: In Moremi Game Reserve

Today we intend to spend the whole day in this unspoiled wonderland. Hippo, crocodile, red lechwe are easy to spot. Bird lovers may spot fish eagle, jacana, kingfisher, heron, stork, egret, weaver and bee-eater – just some of the magnificent species found here.

Day 14: Drive to Maun

We make an early morning game drive (this is exaggerated rather- it's not a game drive) then continue eastwards enjoying the emptiness, until we reach Maun. There may be the opportunity of an optional game flight over the Okavango Delta this afternoon (yes there was) and your tour leader will be happy to assist in organising this.

Overnight Standard Hotel (H+) Included meals: Breakfast

Day 15: Tour ends Maun

Included meals: Breakfast

This would need to be checked with Bill at The Wild Source:

IF you opted for their Adventure Mobile Camping safari (dome tents and NO attached loos) in the Serengeti & NCA, using special campsites, AND had a group of 4 that was willing to share ONE vehicle, the average cost pppn would be about $215.

This is regardless of season, I believe, but once again. don't want to speak for Bill who will need to confirm these numbers.

Where: Croc Valley Camp, South Luangwa, Zambia.

Rates:

Peak season: $105 pppn sharing – Tents (not on the river) - Full Board (includes: Accommodation, Airport transfers,Two game-viewing activities per day, All meals and laundry.)

Add to that: $25 Park entry fees pppd, bar, $5 pppn Luangwa Conservation and Community Fund.

Total $135 pppn plus drinks

Green season: $85 pppn sharing – Tents (not on the river)- Full Board (includes: Accommodation, Airport transfers,Two game-viewing activities per day, All meals and laundry.)

Add to that: $25 Park entry fees pppd, bar, $5 pppn Luangwa Conservation and Community Fund.

Total $115 pppn plus drinks

Source: Their web page :

Croc Valley

They have more expensive tents and chalets too but these would probably bump total cost pppn over the $200 budget (but under $300).

Never stayed there myself, or know anyone who has, but I am aware of them as I have passed their sign on the road from Mfuwe airport many a time. They are located on the river very close to the bridge and main gate into the park, so their main game viewing area (apart from their own grounds!) would be the game rich (but slightly more busy) Mfuwe area.

You are really going to struggle to find any trip to a decent wildlife area, during peak season that falls within this budget, aside from Overlands or budget mobiles, where you often spend a lot of time on the road or in real peripheral areas. You could find a few SA lodges in more peripheral areas, or self drive the main parks. I would be surprised to find anything in a good safari for less than $200 outside of SA and possible Namibia.In East Africa, Mara fees are approaching $100 per day, which wipes out 50% of the budget, as an example.What do you want your $200 pppn to include? There are plenty of budget options (lodges included), though you either end up in a poor area or paying the difference on the ground eg park fees, meals, extra game drive costs.I have stayed for a couple of R&R days at Wildlife Camp, in the Luangwa valley. The costs would be the following;Barefoot Room - $402 x Game Drive - $901 x Park Fee - $251 x $50 return pick up from the Airport.Then you are going to need to drink and eat too, probably another $40 per day.This does not include getting to Mfuwe either. If you fly the cost is around $4-500 return if I remember.By the time you add in Park fees and internal travel, even their bargain $150 per night in the green season will probably break the $200 mark.Even self-drives, by the time you add all the costs are high, if you have to rent everything - It now costs $50 per day per person to camp at Savute, in Chobe National Park. The cost for a budget mobile using Hatab sites are far lower.

Absolutely - the "extras" really do add up!

Personally, I think excluding park fees and transport there is cheating a bit but understandable, since otherwise you get e.g. the ridiculous situation where somewhere located outside the park gates appears $50 cheaper than somewhere inside, even though the only option for activities outside the park is a 2km bush walk.

I think the point is just to build up a (renewable) resource to begin with - maybe good "rules" will become obvious as time goes by.

Posted (edited)

5 Day Kruger Treehouse Experience R6195 per person sharing (US$755 full tour 5 days / nights approx US $188.75 pppn)

Guaranteed Daily Departures

Maximum 12 per tour

No minimum number

For more infromation: Email me

Cost includes: all game drives and activities, all drives in open game vehicles, accommodation on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, transfers from and back to Johannesburg, all Kruger and other game reserve entry fees.

Excludes: items of a personal nature, lunch, drinks outside those provided with meals.

Treehouses: each has private bathroom, viewing deck overlooking the waterhole or the Klasserie River, overhead electric fans and mosquito nets. The accommodation is comfortable and rustic and provides an opportunity to stay as part of the surrounding and experience the sights, sounds and smells of the African bush.

Treehouse Camp: is on Motlala game reserve, home to buffalo, black and white rhino, giraffe, zebra, plus numerous other antelope and smaller mammals. Facilities include swimming pool, bar, breakfast area overlooking the dam, boma outdoor dining area and campfire area.

Full Itinerary

DAY ONE : Pick up from your hostel in Johannesburg or Pretoria or O R Tambo airport and drive to Tremisana Game Lodge in the Balule Section of Kruger. There is time for a rest in your air-conditioned chalet or a swim or a drink at the bar. Board our open Landcruiser for a 3h game drive on Balule Plains. After stopping to watch the magnificent African sunset, we use spotlights to identify nocturnal species. Dinner and overnight at Tremisana Game Lodge.

DAY TWO : Awaken before sunrise for a cuppa and rusks. We drive to the Olifants River where our armed ranger conducts a 4h Big Five Game Walk. Adrenalin rushes will be acute, notwithstanding the presence of your armed field guide. Return to Tremisana for Brunch. At around 14h30 we enjoy a 2hr game drive on the open Landcruiser. Transfer to Marc’s Treehouse Lodge where accommodation is reserved in a charming and fascinating treehouse. Dinner and overnight at Marc’s Treehouse Lodge.

DAY THREE : Full day on an open Gameviewer in Kruger Park. Your ranger will attempt to show you all of the Big Five. The area we visit has excellent visibility of open plains, home to numerous herds of zebra, giraffe, wildebeest and other antelope, that attract many lions. Elephant, buffalo and rhino are also abundant.

DAY FOUR : After breakfast, we travel to the Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre for injured and orphaned animals and birds. You will have an opportunity to get close and personal to some of the residents, including lions and leopards. After lunch, you drive to Tremisana. At around 17h00, we enjoy an open vehicle game drive in the Balule Game Reserve, home to numerous animals including the elusive Black Rhino.

DAY FIVE : Early morning game walk accompanied by an armed ranger who will show you spoor and droppings of animals big and small. The walk concentrates on plants, birds and insects that are not normally appreciated from a vehicle. From time to time, dangerous animals such as Buffalo, Black Rhino and Leopard are encountered. After breakfast, we drive via the Three Rondawels of the Blyde River Canyon en route to Johannesburg where we arrive in the late afternoon. Airport drop off by arrangement.

Edited by Kruger Tours

You can do plenty of SA for under $200pppn. I think even the guided walking trails in Kruger and Hluhluwe are much less than that. Tembe Elephant park is from R800 to R1200 pppn - on a sliding scale based on the number of days staying. Limpopo Lipadi P1600 or much less depending on the number of people in the group.

dik dik is absolutely correct - if you are willing to self drive you can do any of the SANParks run parks for less than 200 US$ pppd, especially if you are not travelling alone and thus can split cost for rental car, petrol and wild card, in fact we've usually managed to visit even the most popular parks (Kruger and Kgalagagadi) as a family of three (two adults, one child) for appr. 200 US$ per pay for the entire family and that includes the a.m. costs as well as accomodation, food and guided game drives

Great, so Ice, write us up a Kruger and Kgalagagadi itinerary with camps, Dik dik, the same for Kruger, Hluhluwe and Tembe Elephant park, Limpopo Lipadi etc, how to buy wild cards, links to car rental places you have used: these threads are not just for established Safaritalk members, but anyone to read, who might not have been on Safari, but want to, and yet are put off by costs. Remember, a first time safari traveler may feel comfortable with an all inclusive tour, and not want to self drive, and have to book separate places etc.

well GW, it's really hard to write up an itenary for Kruger and Kgalagadi because you are absolutely free to go where you want, for as long as you want; also, there is such a wealth of information over at the SanParks forum but I'll try to give a few advices nevertheless:

all bookings can be done over the internet, no need to use an agent; bookings are accepted up to 11 months in advance; for instance, I made my reservations for april 2013 ten days ago on may 1st

each visitor has to pay park fees but it is usually is much cheaper to get a wild card; wild cards can be obtained both over the internet or at the respective gates

both Kruger and Kgalagadi have main (fenced) and wilderness camps (fenced in Kruger, unfenced in KTP); especially in KTP space in wilderness camps is very limited, that's why you indeed are almost forced to book these a year in advance

to rent a 4WD is not necessary, especially not in Kruger, in KTP there are a few roads restriced for 4WD only but you don't have to use them; nevertheless it usually makes sense to rent a small SUV just for the higher seating

we only once rented with a local company and were rewarded with serious brake problems while on the road, before that and since then we booked from home

both parks offer guided drives and guided walks, the former will allow you to see the park before sunrise or after sunset; guided drives are rather cheap (imho), about 22 US$ pp and they last between 2 and 3 hours

Posted (edited)

Very similar in itinerary to the Kruger Treehouse Safari already posted is Rustic Tent safari.

It stays at the same camp on Motlala, but is walk-in sfari tents with shared bathrooms, 4 day safari is R4595 (US $ 565) for full safari so US $ 189 pppn! Tents have electric fans, lights and real beds with bedding. the camp has swimming pool, bar, breakfast area overlooking the waterhole, boma.

All game drives, night drive and game walks are included, departs everyday. There are 3 tents with double beds, and 3 tents each with 4 single beds. Separate male and female toliet and shower blocks are close by. Safari includes transfers from Johannesburg or Nelspruit.

4mantentexterior.jpginteriortents.jpg

Day One :Pick up from your hostel or Johannesburg Airport and travel in an airconditioned vehicle via Dullstroom or Nelspruit to Tremisana Lodge. After a short break ( swim/ early Sundowner at the bar ) you board the open Landcruiser for a 3 hour sunset drive. Your qualified guide will facilitate your first sightings of Africa's varied fauna. We stop for photos of the magnificent African sunset. After dark, your guide will use a powerful spotlight to locate nocturnal animals. Dinner in the Boma around a crackling fire will be a typical South African meal. After dinner, transfer to Marc's Treehouse Lodge where you overnight in your tent.

Days Two & Three : After breakfast you travel on the open-sided Gameviewer to the Orpen Gate of Kruger. The added elevation and absence of windows allow for excellent viewing and photographic opportunities. Your qualified guide will show you various animals, large and small, that frequent this outstanding wildlife paradise. The zone of Kruger you visit has the highest percentage population of giraffe, zebra, wildebeest and impala that attract numerous lions and other predators. Dinner and overnight at Marc’s Camp.

Day Four : We have an early morning Bush Walk accompanied by an armed ranger. You will be shown various interesting details of the bush, including insects, spoor and scats. You have an excellent chance of encountering buffalo, nyala and other game on foot. After breakfast, we drive to the Three Rondawels of the Blyde River Canyon. We return you to your hostel or airport at around 17h00

Edited by Kruger Tours

Can I just point out to Kruger_Tours that pppn stands for Per Person Per NIGHT, so a 4 day (3 night)tour costing $565 is NOT $142 pppn.

The same applies to the maths on all your posts.

On such short tours it makes quite a big difference.

Posted (edited)

Can I just point out to Kruger_Tours that pppn stands for Per Person Per NIGHT, so a 4 day (3 night)tour costing $565 is NOT $142 pppn.

The same applies to the maths on all your posts.

On such short tours it makes quite a big difference.

Details amended & updated, unintentional error

Edited by Kruger Tours

Just to show it can be done.

Possibly not for long, but Maasai Mara trips (including reserve fees) in this category. There is a catch in that it has to be for four people but as I did not think it could be done, I'm overlooking that 'detail'. ;)

Two nights all-inclusive for $US380pp! (no drinks of course)

The camp itself is $60 B&B even in high season. Not sure how attractive it is, but it gets you there.

http://www.enchorowildlifecamp.com/masai_mara_safari_special_offers.html

Posted (edited)

We at Tonymann Tours&Safari offers the following prices per person per day,,in either Ngorongoro or Serengeti.

Car and tour guide fee per day: 155 USD

Entry fee : 50 USD( WHEN DROPPING TO THE CRATER,,THE CAR(AS A WHOLE CAR) HAS TO PAY 200 USD.

NGORONGORO 165 USD FB ( THE LODGE WEBSITE IS http://www.kuducamp.com/ )

SERENGETI 100-250 FB ( DEPENDING ON THE CAMP,,BUT WE HAVE DEALS WITH,,http://www.mapito-camp-serengeti.com/ or moivaro robanda camp.)

tHESE ARE THE PRICES YOU WILL PAY PER DAY FOR EITHER NGORONGORO OR SERENGETI...

YOU CAN CHECK OUT MORE INFORMATION ON tonymannsafari.blogspot.fi

OR http://www.facebook.com/TonymannSafaris

OR EMAIL. christian.goshashy@gmail.com

Edited by tonymann safaris
1 person likes this

Thanks for asking this question.

As a South African, living in Boston, US, who loves the bush and Kruger in particular, I am asked to help people with their safari planning.

Let me tell you what I suggest to people. You should know upfront that we recently bought a place at Kruger Park Lodge in Hazyview, located 10 minutes from the Phabeni Gate. While we encourage people to inquire about renting our place, our aim is to provide information for the budget-conscious family wanting to go on safari.

For a family of four (4) or six (6) or a couple (2) traveling to Kruger for 7 days/6 nights (I add up the costs and convert to US Dollars at the end so keep reading):

1) Transportation:

I recommend hiring a car/van from Johannesburg and driving to Kruger. The roads are very good and the drive takes is 4-5 hours depending on your final destination. I get to Hazyview in 4 hours. I also recommend renting a van. Yes, it is more expensive but you are higher off the ground and you game viewing experience will be totally different. I like to rent a diesel van when I can because diesel gives you better consumption and we find we save a good third on our petrol/gas bill. This is significant given the price of petrol/diesel in South Africa.

I am estimating on the higher end of R1,000/day for renting a van. If you choose a smaller vehicle, you will pay about R600/day. Most places offer unlimited mileage if you are traveling from abroad. Make sure you ask for unlimited mileage otherwise most contracts have a 200kms/day limit. The overage costs are very high and will cut deeply into your budget.

We usually rent from Comet Car (cometcar.co.za) a privately-owned, well-organized rental company that is very competitive, friendly and provides great, personal service.

2) Fuel Costs:

7 Days of fuel costs us around R3,000-R4,000. We drive almost all day in the park.

3) Park Entrance Fees:

I am assuming most people reading this are not from South Africa. These rates are for foreigners (non-SADC) visitors. Please note that you pay for every day you are in Kruger Park regardless of whether you stay in or out of the Park. If you booked for 3 nights in the Kruger, you will pay for each day you are in the Park as part of your booking or at the entrance gate. If you stay outside the Park, your day permit allows you re-entry at no charge if you decide to leave and re-enter on the same day.

Adult: R192/day

Child (under 18): R96/day

International Wild Card Rates -- annual membership allows you unlimited entry to SANParks for the year:

For 2 people: R2,195

Family (2 adults and up to 5 children): R2,620

If you are a couple, it is worth buying the Wild Card (unlimited access to Kruger Park and other game parks in SA for 1 year from date of purchase) if you plan to be in the Kruger or any other SANPark for 5 days or more. If you are a family of four (4) and plan to stay for longer than three days, buy the family Wild Card. If you plan to visit more than once in a year, purchase as close to your trip as possible.

4) Accommodations:

You have two affordable choices here. Stay in the park or outside the park. We recommend both but please note that accommodations inside the park sell out fast.

Inside the Park:

For purposes of this example, I looked at places in Skukuza and Lower Sabie. All SANParks costs are the same across the camps.

Guest Cottage or Family Cottage for 4 at either camp: R1,590/night for the unit

Safari Tent for 2 at Lower Sabie: R735/night for the tent

Semi-luxury Riverside Bungalow at Skukuza for 2: R1,505 for the Bungalow

Please visit SANParks to see prices and book online for Kruger here.

Outside the Park:

If you are staying outside the Park, then you want to consider being as close to one of the Park's gates as possible. You also want easy access to a well-stocked supermarket and decent restaurants.

One of the closest places you can stay is at the Protea Hotel at Paul Kruger Gate. Here you are confined to the hotel restaurant and the closest supermarket is about 25 minutes away. They charge at least R750 per person per night sharing. If you do not care about being close to a supermarket, then try to book one of their 7 chalets. I know many who have stayed there and loved them. They offer amazing views into Kruger Park.

We really like Hazyview (that is why we bought a place there) because it is 10 minutes from Phabeni Gate, 25 minutes to Numbi Gate and 40 minutes from Kruger Gate (this is useful when you are in the Park for most of the day and are rushing to leave the Park as it closes). See the Kruger Map for this to make sense. Hazyview is also a nice base to visit God's Window, Blyde River Canyon, Lisbon and Mac Mac Falls and Bourke's Potholes.

Our place, for example, runs around R1,500/night and sleeps up to six people. The price is for the entire unit and has a fully-equipped kitchen. Find our more at mykrugerlodge.com.

If you travel during the December/January holidays, rates go up to R2,000/night for most places outside the park including ours. My advice is to look at the South African school holiday schedule here and also to look at the many long weekends here -- avoid these if you can. If you go right after the July holidays, you’ll have an easier time finding accommodations and the park will not be as crowded. The park is even better during the weekdays since weekends get busy. Plus, winter is a great time for game viewing – the bush is not as lush and game tends to concentrate around water.

If you like the central part of the Park, I know places like Hoedspruit offer plenty of accommodations; along the N4 places like Malelane, Ngwenya Lodge and Marloth Park offer access to Malelane and Crocodile Bridge Gates. I do not know these areas well enough to make recommendations but want you to know about options other than Hazyview.

5) Food

We cook many of our dinners in the self-catering units and always pack sandwiches, tea, cool drinks and snacks with us. We do eat a few meals at restaurants and will splurge on ice-cream and cappuchinnos at Lower Sabie. One of our favourites is to grab an early breakfast at Skukuza.

For a family of six, we spend around R4,000 during the week we are there. This is an estimate so please do not hold me to this cost.

6) Add-ons in the Park and recommended depending on your budget:

a) Sunrise or Sunset Drives with SANParks from one of the camps: R180/adult and R90/child. A few of the gates (Phabeni and Kruger for example) offer these drives for those staying outside the park.

B) Morning Bush Walk with trained and armed guards (no children under 13): R340

Costs

* For a family of four (4) traveling for 7 days and 6 nights (no add-ons):

1) Transportation: R1,000 x 7 = R7,000 (highly recommend a van with kids)

2) Fuel: R4,000

3) Park Entrance Fees using a Wild Card for a family: R2,620

4) Accommodations: 3 nights at Lower Sabie at R1590/night and 3 nights at Skukuza at R1,590/night. Six nights total for two: R9,540.

If you stay outside the Park for up to six: R9,000

5) Food: R4,000 (guestimate)

Inside the Park: Total for four (4) for 7 days/6 nights: R27,160 = USD$3,395 (using 8:1 conversion)

Outside the Park: Total for four (4) for 7 days/6 nights: R26,620 = USD$3,328 (using 8:1 conversion)

The numbers for inside and outside the park are insignificant so this equals to approximately: USD$141 per person per night, leaving a nice cushion for add-ons.

* For a family of six (6), these numbers drop even further:

Inside the Park: R31,044 = $3880 (using 8:1 conversion)

Approximately: USD$108 per person per night (no add-ons)

Outside the Park: R28,620 = USD$3,578 (using 8:1 conversion)

Approximately: USD$100 per person per night (no add-ons)

If you are a couple, the cost for two (2) people traveling for 7 days and 6 nights (no add-ons):

1) Transportation: R1,000 x 7 = R7,000

2) Fuel: R4,000

3) Park Entrance Fees using a Wild Card for 2: R2,195

4) Accommodations: 3 nights at Lower Sabie at R735/night and 3 nights at Skukuza at R1,505/night. Six nights total for two: R6,720

5) Food: R2,000 (guestimate)

Total for two for 7 days/6 nights: R21,915 = USD$2,740 (using 8:1 conversion)

This equals to approximately: USD$230 per person per night without any add-ons. (I know this is above the $200 budget suggested on this thread but I kept it here for comparison).

My apologies this got too detailed but I wanted to provide as much information (along with links) as possible so you can see how this is possible with a limited budget.

(If you see any errors in calculations or costs, please let me know so I can rectify.)

Thanks for affording me the opportunity to put this down.

Cheers

Heeten

2 people like this

A slight variation on the theme and not for everyone, but for cost I don’t think you can beat it. I did a month long course in the southern Kruger studying for FGASA Level 1 in 2009.

It cost just under £1000 ($1500) for 28 days which included full board (permanent tent accommodation), a daily morning or afternoon drive in a concession part of the park (part of the main park with no fences), classroom lessons for the other part of the day, 2 or 3 night drives a week, a few walks, three full day Kruger drives in the park proper outside of the concession, plus exam fees. Oh and a trip to the Blyde River Canyon thrown in too. At about $50 a day I think you will struggle to beat that for value.

FGASA level 1 now takes a minimum of 60 days as too many people were failing I think, just three of us passed out of ten on my course (fortunately my girlfriend and I were 2 of the 3). But, if anyone has plenty of time on their hands and doesn’t mind studying topics such as climate, botany and grasses, astronomy etc in addition to learning about the mammals and birds of Southern Africa and has a driving licence (part of the finals tests/exams involves a 3 hour drive where you drive the examiner around and tell them all about everything you see, including trees and spoor).

Quite simply probably the best month of the life.

1 person likes this

Eagle Owl, that sounds great! Did you see much in the concession areas where you studied? :D

Posted (edited)

Eagle Owl, that sounds great! Did you see much in the concession areas where you studied? :D

Would need to find my notes, but saw lion only once on the concession i think (but within 2 metres of our open top), hippo, zebra, kudu, ele, giraffe, warthog, buff, white rhino, baboon, duiker, dwarf mongoose, impala, spring hare, vervets and waterbuck on a pretty regular basis (most at least every other day or so, many daily). Night drives were largely devoid, bar one great lion night (when our land rover battery died whilst they were a few metres away and we were stuck there blind for nearly an hour on a pitch black night waiting for back up). Heard wild dogs making a kill from the lodge but couldnt see them because of the dense vegetation, though someone did a bit later on.

So, not as much, or at least as regularly as some parts of the park, but pretty good. Was by Numbi gate.

Edited by Eagle Owl

Eagle owl, we definitely need a comprehensive trip report for this adventure...