On this day in 1948...

Game Warden

Game Warden

"Original Land Rover debuts at auto show" reports www.history.com.

The Land Rover, a British-made all-terrain vehicle that will earn a reputation for its use in exotic locales, debuts at an auto show in Amsterdam on April 30, 1948.

The first Land Rover, known as the Series 1, was the brainchild of Maurice Wilks, the head designer for the British car company Rover, of which his brother Spencer Wilks was the managing director.

To read the full article click here.

There's just something so right about an old Series Landy and Africa...

But have you seen the Defender concept DC100 car? It looks like a Mini on steroids. It should do a lot for the second hand market in earlier models.

Edited by JohnR

Game Warden

Any Landy that doesn't have a fold down windscreen isn't a real Landy... (I did have a Disco once.)

The copied Jeep!

I must say that I do share the sentiment of landrover. I still own two series IIA's. Many years ago, a mate and I bought a seriesIII diesel and kitted it for a round Africa trip. It could be seen for miles by the plume of smoke from behind. We decided that if we were to travel to the top of Africa we may as well start at the bottom, and headed to Cape Town for the start. Once we returned to KZN (where we lived) we realized we didnt have enough money left.

I kept it for a number of years, but eventually sanity prevailed, and I sold it.

Later I bought the 50th anniversary limited edition defender - they only made 50 in SA, I got the long wheel base, and loved it. But - it let me down (one month after warrantee) - the timing chain jumped a link and the engine spat bits of metal out on the road. Suddenly landrover lost its romantic allure.

Game Warden

I had the dubious pleasure of breaking down in your IIA on the farm. I was trying to explain the charm of its idiosyncrasies on the walk back to Lizzy and Carol but they just didn't understand...