Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Sunscreen & Insect repellent for Kenya safari

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 02:23 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Rays in Melbourne has Bushman Plus 20% Deet Insect repellent spray with added sunscreen....and Bushman personal insect repellent 40% Deet heavy duty spray, are either of them suitable? Or is there something better?

And what about sunscreen?

Thanks
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.....Groucho Marx

#2 Rainbirder

Rainbirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Local time: 05:23 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Re sunscreen -I would take a good quality "total sunblock" but I'm a red-haired Scot (well I once had hair!) so I burn in moonlight! (advising on sunscreen to an Aussie is clearly teaching my Granny to suck eggs! B) ).

I would avoid using insect repellent/sunscreen combos. During the day I have never found insects to be a problem in Kenya (including the Rift Lakes area and Kakamega rainforest); but night is a different matter! There are areas (such as the freshwater Rift valley lakes of Naivasha, Baringo and even soda-laden Nakuru) where mosquitoes at night are a huge problem and that is when you will need a decent repellent.

#3 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

I strongly recommend against using anything with DEET

I used it once has a strong allergic reacion reaction large red hives.

one of the DEET repelants is marked may damage synthetic fabrics, on a thread under the health section someone said that they had some of the hands did not rinse them and it left fingerprints on their digital camera.

DEET is a relative of agent orange the chemical war agent used in vietnam, as is gltsophate herbicide roundup,zero etc garden sprays

The approach to insects is

1 take medication

2 don't use perfume or scented deodrants

3 cover in fabric head to toe, cargo pants would be a whole lot better choice than an Indian wrap skirt

4 herbal insect repellant tea tree, eucalayptus,lavender etc. Thursday Island plantation from a health food plave, MOOVE brand from a pharmacy , if they do't have it they can order it.

It is more important to avoid malaria then wear A skirt as you prefer.

Malaria is becoming very serious with forms that can kill very quickly.

PS going to ray's outdoor shop were you getting hiking boots?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#4 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,742 posts
  • Local time: 01:53 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

Gangurru, I swear by RID insect repellent

Rid website

They are a local Queensland company and it is the only repellent that I've used which works with tsetse flies. We gave it a big work out up in Meru National Park worked like a miracle. Didn't take it to Tanzania and the repellent we used (one of the big name, recommended brands) didn't make any inroads on tsetse.

Copes with mossies, of course.

They also produce a combo sunscreen/repellent so have a look at their website. They do mail order if you can't find it locally.

Much better than any of the others I've used.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#5 KathBC

KathBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Local time: 09:23 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Prior to last years trip to Kenya & Tanzania I visited a dermatologist for another matter altogether however asked his advise on sunscreen.

His recommendation was Roche Posay Anthelioes 40 and I was very happy with it. Non greasy, no allergic reaction and it seemed to do the trick. He suggested not going to an SPF higher than 40 altho I can't for the life of me remember why. :unsure:
http://www.laroche-p...0-sunscreen.htm

#6 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,102 posts
  • Local time: 06:23 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

Gangurru, I swear by RID insect repellent

Rid website

They are a local Queensland company and it is the only repellent that I've used which works with tsetse flies.

I believe so..

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#7 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Gangurru, I swear by RID insect repellentRid websiteThey are a local Queensland company and it is the only repellent that I've used which works with tsetse flies. We gave it a big work out up in Meru National Park worked like a miracle. Didn't take it to Tanzania and the repellent we used (one of the big name, recommended brands) didn't make any inroads on tsetse. Copes with mossies, of course.They also produce a combo sunscreen/repellent so have a look at their website. They do mail order if you can't find it locally.Much better than any of the others I've used.

I'm no fan of DEET but I'm loving anything that can really repel tsetses. I might put a bottle of this in my bag for emergencies. However, did you notice that RID activey eats plastics and maybe glass? Photographers should perhaps note and take necessary care. :rolleyes:

Waiting again... for the next time again

#8 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,742 posts
  • Local time: 01:53 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

RID hasn't eaten anything of mine, yet. But I do apply it to ankles and wrists only as I haven't heard that cameras have a propensity to catch malaria or sleeping sickness so have resisted the urge to apply to said items. Deet or malaria umm a fun choice. Having said that, on my last trip I applied on a needs only basis which certainly wasn't daily.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#9 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

RID hasn't eaten anything of mine, yet. But I do apply it to ankles and wrists only as I haven't heard that cameras have a propensity to catch malaria or sleeping sickness so have resisted the urge to apply to said items. Deet or malaria umm a fun choice. Having said that, on my last trip I applied on a needs only basis which certainly wasn't daily.

:) Malaria-free cameras!
Not only RID, I am sure - I just hadn't noticed that plastic-eating "property" before. I tend to clean my hands by just wiping them, so I perhaps need to be more careful in the future if using a DEET-based product.

There are alternatives to DEET that work well for those of us who can afford them or get them. Trouble with these products is that the best ones seem to get swamped in the market by inferior products that are marketed better or more aggressively, or are just cheap.

I wonder what the tsetse-active incredient is in RID?

Waiting again... for the next time again

#10 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,371 posts
  • Local time: 12:23 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Gangurru

Whenever I go to Africa I take RID roll on sunscreen with insect repellent, as well as the Bushman insect repellent spray. Both (alone and in combination) seem to be good against tsetse flies and also mozzies. Not 100% of course (but nothing is).
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#11 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the replies....Is the RID everyone uses the regular RID or the Tropical strength?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.....Groucho Marx

#12 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I was originally planning on going to Kenya and Tanzania, but due to my friend's time constrictions I've had to settle on just Kenya this time, but I will be visiting Samburu, Masai Mara, the lakes and possibly Amboseli.

COSMIC RHINO Said: cover in fabric head to toe, cargo pants would be a whole lot better choice than an Indian wrap skirt

I do understand that pants are really the way to go, but I wear skirts for religious reasons, so that's out, but what if I wore tights underneath, or would that be too hot in Kenya in June?

And what about sleeping, just how cold will it be, do I need my winter woolies to survive the nights?

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

I was originally planning on going to Kenya and Tanzania, but due to my friend's time constrictions I've had to settle on just Kenya this time, but I will be visiting Samburu, Masai Mara, the lakes and possibly Amboseli.

COSMIC RHINO Said: cover in fabric head to toe, cargo pants would be a whole lot better choice than an Indian wrap skirt

I do understand that pants are really the way to go, but I wear skirts for religious reasons, so that's out, but what if I wore tights underneath, or would that be too hot in Kenya in June?

And what about sleeping, just how cold will it be, do I need my winter woolies to survive the nights?

If your time is lomited avoid mombassa which you mentioned before all the beaches are surrounded by high rise luxury hotels built right on top of the beach , no public access available ,like the gold coast but a whole lot worse

PROBABLY NOT TOO HOT

look up nairobi temperature I found it at http://goafrica.com/library June,Jult and Aug min 1 degrees c max 21

your main risk of being bitten is at dusk and dawn avoid perfumes

winter wolly pj's possibly better take them than get a cold

seriously consider the herbal insect repellant if you want to go the chemical way try before you go to test for an allergic reaction , I have used herbal, it smalls like fly spray and nothing comes near me

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#14 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

If your time is lomited avoid mombassa which you mentioned before all the beaches are surrounded by high rise luxury hotels built right on top of the beach , no public access available ,like the gold coast but a whole lot worse

PROBABLY NOT TOO HOT

look up nairobi temperature I found it at http:www.//goafrica.com/library correcting link June,Jult and Aug min 1 degrees c max 21

your main risk of being bitten is at dusk and dawn avoid perfumes

winter wolly pj's possibly better take them than get a cold

seriously consider the herbal insect repellant if you want to go the chemical way try before you go to test for an allergic reaction , I have used herbal, it smalls like fly spray and nothing comes near me

#15 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,810 posts
  • Local time: 05:23 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

What about burning dried elephant dung?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#16 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

nthambo camp in klasirie reserve greater kruger national park does that .makes dried elephant dung up into a tea during the hot season and the insects stay away from the rooms

#17 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,371 posts
  • Local time: 12:23 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

makes dried elephant dung up into a tea during the hot season and the insects stay away from the rooms

:mellow: I hope that's not a tea you drink!
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#18 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

not to drink

#19 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

make sure that the skirt fabric is good and strong, so that yoy don't get caught on thorn trees and shrubs

#20 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Well I'd best get off to to zoo tomorrow to collect elephant dung to make my mosquito repellent tea....my goodness GW does come up with some interesting ideas, first he sent me out to buy my pith helmet and now this most original idea for mossies, so I'm really getting into the swing of things with my safari now!

It's not so much that my time is limited Rhino, but rather that of the person with whom I am going on safari, and the reason I am going to Mombasa (after the safari) is to visit friends who live there, frankly Mombasa doesn't seem to have much appeal. I'm not a real beach person but if I were I'd choose Lamu or Zanzibar or somewhere similar rather than Mombasa. Thanks for all of your extremely helpful suggestions.

Back to the mossie repellent........Is the RID everyone uses the regular RID or the Tropical strength?

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.