Our Third Safari to Tanzania - July 2011

Calo

Atravelynn

You ventured off the beaten path for #3. What a fantastic itinerary. Did you state your dates of travel? Hope Mkomazi gets more attention. Reports like yours will help. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us.

You ventured off the beaten path for #3. What a fantastic itinerary. Did you state your dates of travel? Hope Mkomazi gets more attention. Reports like yours will help. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us.

Yes, it was a fantastic itinerary, Atravelynn. I really don't think I'd have changed a thing.

Thank you for pointing out that I had forgotten my dates of travel :rolleyes: which I've now added thanks to the edit button.

Atravelynn

July is a great time for Tanzania. How did Mkomazi become part of the itinerary. Warrior Trails suggestion or you said, "Send me somewhere really different." or what?

Can you comment on the vehicle traffic you experienced in the "Garden of Eden"?

Bit late to the party, sorry but I've been reading just haven't got around to commenting on what was a really interesting read. Shame about the Kati Kati campsite but the Lemala camps sound idyllic. Mkomazi is one to watch, for sure and I guess we all want it to go from strength to strength.

So what's next on your agenda?

July is a great time for Tanzania. How did Mkomazi become part of the itinerary. Warrior Trails suggestion or you said, "Send me somewhere really different." or what?

Can you comment on the vehicle traffic you experienced in the "Garden of Eden"?

Yes, July was fabulous for Tanzania. We've always gone at that time of year. Next time I want to go in the green season, but I do love the dry mild weather in June/July, not to mention not many biting bugs.

Warrior Trails was very helpful in coming up with some suggestions for this itinerary that would be a bit off the beaten path (which we like). We hope to incorporate Kenya next time - perhaps Samburu and the Mara. The planning is such fun!

We got down into the crater as soon as the gate opened, and there was only 1 other vehicle that descended ahead of us. The vehicle traffic was never a problem to us in terms of game viewing. I'd say there were no more than 5 vehicles at a time at the busiest locations, but mostly we were the only vehicle at sightings. For example, we sat with a cheetah that was resting right at the side of the road for about 1/2 hour before another vehicle came along. We viewed many lions, elephants, (hunting) hyenas without any other vehicles around. I've read/heard about horrible vehicle traffic in the crater, but in our 3 forays into the crater, we've never experienced it ourselves.

Edited by Calo

Bit late to the party, sorry but I've been reading just haven't got around to commenting on what was a really interesting read. Shame about the Kati Kati campsite but the Lemala camps sound idyllic. Mkomazi is one to watch, for sure and I guess we all want it to go from strength to strength.

So what's next on your agenda?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond, Twaffle. It's great to be able to experience all levels of camps. We went from fairly basic at Kati Kati to luxurious at Lemala.

Mkomazi is certainly one to watch. It was a beautiful place. The bonus was that we had the entire park to ourselves!

Next time I'd like to incorporate Kenya into the itinerary, and still keep a chunk of time for Tanzania. In the past we've only transitioned through Nairobi, so I'd like to actually stay in the country and see Samburu and the Mara.

Atravelynn

Good news about your crater visit, thanks.