Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

"Honey Badger Don't Care" on UTube

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 melequus

melequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Now here is another controversial subject. I learned recently about the "Honey Badger Don't Care" video and cult following from my 30 Y. O. son when I asked him about his honey badger T-shirt. I then watched all the videos by Randall on UTube and now know all about this guy. The son of a cameraman for the granddaddy of all nature shows, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Randall grew up fascinated by animals.

"My papa was always on the road, and he would come home with hours and hours of footage. And my parents would encourage me to describe what I saw on screen. Growing up in that world, I always loved animals."

Basically, as Randall tells it, the honey badger video is his family's fault.
He knew he wanted to do something with animals, but was too "terrified" for most of the obvious jobs.

And then he saw the honey badger video, and everything fell into place.

Now he's on tour in support of his "adult" animal book. It's packed with photos of cute but vicious animals, interesting facts, and plenty of curse words, just like his videos.
You gotta really hate this guy. OK, yeah, his work is the epitome of bad taste but he does have a following of kids who do learn about wildlife from him in a kinky sort of way. I now sport a Honey Badger T-shirt my LDR boyfriend sent me...but mine says "Honey Badger CARES" and shows a smiling Honey Badger hugging a beehive and a cobra. My BF is a comedy writer who enjoys Randall's stuff.
I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.

Gary Larson

#2 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 08:21 PM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I saw (and read) the book in a book store a few weeks ago. As with the video, I put aside my biologist nature and enjoyed it quite a bit.

They both are a bit repetitious, but all in all, not too bad.
One pangolin to rule them all......

#3 Rainbirder

Rainbirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

It's well worth watching this footage of Honey Badger from Valmik Thapar's excellent series -Land of the Tiger. The ingenuity of this beast is truly amazing!

And of course Valmik's superb commentary puts Randall to shame!

Push the slider to 3 mins 40 secs to get to the relevant bit (Pied Kingfisher in flight).

Edited by Rainbirder, 13 April 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#4 Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I gotta admit I bought the shirt some time ago after I laughed at the video..funny stuff, but will get old really fast as he does other animals. It sadly will be the only tool some will have for learning about the honey badger. oh well. Maybe I should curse more in my videos to get more views :)
Brian's Art for Animals
"Life is a Safari!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/briczar22

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,589 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

I gotta admit I bought the shirt some time ago after I laughed at the video..funny stuff, but will get old really fast as he does other animals. It sadly will be the only tool some will have for learning about the honey badger. oh well. Maybe I should curse more in my videos to get more views :)

Go for it, Brian! ;)

But it occurs to me that this may only work with the Honey Badger - it's difficult to think of another animal with that amount of natural "character". He doesn't even touch on the Honey Badger's reputation for confronting the larger predators when necessary - never mind the leg-crossing legends that keep many African men in fear of them. I have seen two documentaries on the Honey Badger (this being extracts from one of them) and both were sensational even with normal commentary. There's another one where a Honey Badger gets caught in the jaws of a leopard in the Kalahari and it takes the leopard an hour or something to kill it from that (badger in leopard's jaws) position.

Waiting again... for the next time again

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.