Let's talk Great British Birds and from around the world - upload your photos.

Game Warden

kittykat23uk

Blackcap

7113352821_8fd90b1b52.jpg

P4229027 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

I also stumbled on this treecreeper building a nest in a large tree trunk:

6967283810_c27ef68deb.jpg

P4229043 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

I left it in peace after snapping a few quick shots.

• 2 weeks later...
Super LEEDS

Blackbird with a "smooth newt" (thanks KK!)

Taken through a hazy patio door at my aunt's house :D

gallery_11024_573_25075.jpg

Rainbirder

Interesting image!!!

Never seen one take a newt before.

Rainbirder

I suppose it's Puffin time again!
I tried to get onto the Isle of May about a month ago but the weather rapidly became bad. We were unable to land and about half the passengers parted company with their stomach contents on the return trip!

Here is one taken earlier this week. The first of the Pufflings have hatched.

6818822936_8f02da2c83_o.jpg

Edited by Rainbirder

• 3 weeks later...
Game Warden

Amended the title to include birding talk and images from around the world. Now, get posting ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Game Warden

"Tests show golden eagle found dead in Lochaber poisoned" reports www.bbc.co.uk.

A golden eagle that was found dead near Morar in Lochaber was poisoned, according to the results of tests done at a Scottish government laboratory.

RSPB Scotland said it was the third known eagle poisoning incident in the area in the past 10 years.

To read the full article click here.

• 4 weeks later...

I am no birder, although I like birds a lot, so can anyone tell me what duck (right hand one) this is that i saw on the Thames foreshore this morning by my flat near the 02 arena? Apologies for the quality, i took it with lots of digital zoom on a little compact.

P1100793.jpg

kittykat23uk

it's most likely a mallard crossed with a farmyard duck. :D

It's a domestic Mallard hybrid.

Thanks guys.

My photos are far from the quality of yours, the Puffin ones especially are stunning (what kind of camera do you need to take photos of that quality - i am assuming over £1k?). Mine are taken with a cheapish compact, but here are a couple of Galapagos one i like. I can post a few others if anyone is interested.

52.jpg

46.jpg

• 1 month later...

Happy feet!
7845647102_b5d9d6d942_o.jpg

Edited by Rainbirder

I can post a few others if anyone is interested.

Yes!

I've lost control of my computer!

My cursor keeps hitting the "Like This" button, I have no control!

Perhaps it's time to buy a REE-AWL camera!

I love the British robins. The American robins just can't compare to these cute little guys! :)

Birds hold 'funerals' for dead reports www.bbc.co.uk

When western scrub jays encounter a dead bird, they call out to one another and stop foraging. The jays then often fly down to the dead body and gather around it, scientists have discovered.

• 1 month later...

Malta: Trapping: EC wants proper enforcement reports www.timesofmalta.com

For the first time, national and daily bag limits were imposed by law and trappers need to get a special licence. According to the new rules, only 5,000 song thrush and 1,150 golden plovers can be caught and the season will come to an immediate end once the national quota is reached.

Trappers are also obliged to send an SMS every time they make a catch.

Yes, and one can see those measures being adhered to. The UK can put in as many measures as possible to protect the birds, but if other countries permit trapping, and not just Malta, but Spain, and Portugal etc, migratory populations will continue to suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

8077841764_15604a3a96_o.jpg

Whooper Swans fresh in from Iceland settle on Loch Leven. As each new family party arrived they were greeted by loud trumpeting from the swans already here; it was almost as if they were asking the latest news from lands afar! (Image taken on 10th October 2012)

Edited by Rainbirder

Tibetan mountain finch rediscovered after 80 years reports www.bbc.co.uk

It has been missing for 80 years but Sillem's Mountain Finch has now been rediscovered on the Tibetan plateau by a trekker who was too ill to leave camp.

The mountain finch has been an enigma ever since its discovery in 1929, not least because it wasn't identified until 1992.

And Rainbirder, your next assignment is...

• 9 months later...

This thread needs more photos: BTW @@Rainbirder, some of your images aren't showing up. Matt

@@Game Warden

The new face of Flickr has screwed up a number of links. If you can grant me edit privileges for 24 hrs I will sort them boss.