The rarest bird...

Game Warden

Game Warden

What's the rarest bird in Africa you've seen, and did you manage to photograph it?

Easy one there = Beesley's lark - world population about 50. No pics yet but I'l take the camer next time...

Super LEEDS

'r lass!

In my case it's Hyacinth Macaws in Brazil.

01.jpg

Game Warden
What's the rarest bird in Africa...

:rolleyes: Nice photo though.

In my defense; it was a long time ago. Probably around that time that Africa was still connected to South America...

:unsure:

In my defense; it was a long time ago. Probably around that time that Africa was still connected to South America...

:unsure:

but at least you have been there and seen them, even if it was in the Dark Ages!:lol:

Edited by wilddog

Long-crested Turaco

Can anybody find this bird in your books, don’t really know how rare they are in the wild?

Back in Oct. of 2005 we were on the rim of the crater (Tanzania) when I heard a very loud bird and only got a glimpse of it. I sat there for quite a while before it returned when this photo was taken (very low light, Canon EOS xt, f/5.6, exp. 1/320, ISO 400 @ 300mm, photo has been lightened).

I didn’t fine it in any of the books that I could get my hands on but knew it was a Turaco.

I found a web site International Turaco Society UK: http://www.turacos.org/ were David from the society identified it as a sub-species of “Schalow’s”, common name; “Long crested Turaco

gallery_6136_235_94749.jpg

You can go to Dave's site and click on his picture in the upper left hand corner to hear a "Schalow's" Turaco call:My link

Tracker

Edited by Game Warden

Nice image!!!

This is a Schalow's Turaco -it is monotypic ( no subspecies) though was previously lumped with Livingstone's Turaco at which time the birds now known as Schalow's were sometimes referred to as Long-crested as they have a longer crest than typical Livingstone's Turaco. They have a patchy distribution in Tanzania being found mainly in the west of the country but can also be found around the crater area; TZ Birder will be able to advise better than me. In Kenya they are confined to the riparian forests along the Mara and Talek rivers and are often found in the grounds of the camps (I have photographed them at Mara Intrepids and Kichwa Tembo). In fact we had three birds in a fig tree above the open-air breakfast bar at Kichwa Tembo in July 2011.

medium.jpg

I have better images somewhere (still on unprocessed cards) but here is an old image from above our tent at the Mara Intrepids camp. Though shy they are curious and are attracted towards deep throaty hooting (this comes naturally to a Scotsman - especially after a few sundowners!).

Nice image!!!

This is a Schalow's Turaco -it is monotypic ( no subspecies) though was previously lumped with Livingstone's Turaco at which time the birds now known as Schalow's were sometimes referred to as Long-crested as they have a longer crest than typical Livingstone's Turaco. They have a patchy distribution in Tanzania being found mainly in the west of the country but can also be found around the crater area; TZ Birder will be able to advise better than me. In Kenya they are confined to the riparian forests along the Mara and Talek rivers and are often found in the grounds of the camps (I have photographed them at Mara Intrepids and Kichwa Tembo). In fact we had three birds in a fig tree above the open-air breakfast bar at Kichwa Tembo in July 2011.

medium.jpg

I have better images somewhere (still on unprocessed cards) but here is an old image from above our tent at the Mara Intrepids camp. Though shy they are curious and are attracted towards deep throaty hooting (this comes naturally to a Scotsman - especially after a few sundowners!).

Rainbirder,

Thanks, for the info; the only thing about the picture I took is there is no white below the eye as the Schalow’s Turaco has.

PS thanks G.W. for the post edit, what was I doing wrong?

Tracker

Game Warden

Hi Tracker, you were linking to the thumbnail on your gallery page, instead of opening the full image and linking to that one :)

Nice image!!!

medium.jpg

Rainbirder,

Thanks, for the info; the only thing about the picture I took is there is no white below the eye as the Schalow’s Turaco has.

PS thanks G.W. for the post edit, what was I doing wrong?

Tracker

Hi Tracker,

According to the Handbook of the Birds of the World Schalow's Turaco is monotypic and though several races have been described for the Eastern populations including those of northern Tanzania none of these races are currently accepted. The HBW also states: "white line under eye present in most individuals, but may be greatly reduced or even absent on North Tanzanian birds."

Cheers,

Steve

Rainbirder & G.W.

Thanks with your help-Happy Easter!

Tracker

• 2 years later...

For me its probably Pels Fishing Owl. So hard to find these birds and quite hard to get nice photos of them. I had a nice shot of an adult with chick but can't seem to find it now :wacko:

Also seen Livingstones Turaco - very localised but not sure how rare they are?

Ground Hornbill are pretty scarce nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...

Photo of Pel's Fishing Owl at Jacana camp in Okavango Delta . . . and how I got to it !

post-48705-0-15838000-1413801890_thumb.jpg

post-48705-0-39911400-1413801947_thumb.jpg

Photo of Ground Hornbill with catch that I took in Kruger.

post-48705-0-37756800-1413802410_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

I'm not a birder by any stretch, but Gray-necked Picathartes would certainly win.

The two turacos I've seen (Great Blue in CAR and Schalow's in Kenya) and African Gray Parrot (CAR) were beautiful too...

• 4 weeks later...

Dodo... still haven't seen one, but I keep lookin' ...

I don't really know, but judging by the commotion it caused when I showed the photo, it's probably this:

post-24763-0-55021100-1441945646_thumb.jpg

I don't really know, but judging by the commotion it caused when I showed the photo, it's probably this:

"this" being...?

I don't know either, come on birders, help us out with an id... or, perhaps its a new candidate for this topic...

@@Game Warden @@ZaminOz

I think it is a Green Twinspot.

Jip. And it's probably not very rare either, just very difficult to see.