See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

The rarest bird...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

What's the rarest bird in Africa you've seen, and did you manage to photograph it?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 TZBirder

TZBirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • Category 1:Ecologist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Easy one there = Beesley's lark - world population about 50. No pics yet but I'l take the camer next time...

#3 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

'r lass!

#4 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Totally out of my depth here (but learning a bit thanks to ST's Birding forum)

I recall Squack enthuiascally overjoicing when we saw a very small brownish bird in Katavi....but I do not remeber its name.

The most awesome sighting for me was that of a pair of Narina Trogon close to my tent in Gorongosa, but I guess that they are more beautiful than really rare.

#5 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

In my case it's Hyacinth Macaws in Brazil.

Posted Image

#6 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

What's the rarest bird in Africa...

:rolleyes: Nice photo though.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#7 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

In my defense; it was a long time ago. Probably around that time that Africa was still connected to South America...

:unsure:
  • johnkok likes this

#8 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

In my defense; it was a long time ago. Probably around that time that Africa was still connected to South America...

:unsure:

but at least you have been there and seen them, even if it was in the Dark Ages!:lol:

Edited by wilddog, 06 April 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#9 tracker

tracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Long-crested Turaco

Can anybody find this bird in your books, don’t really know how rare they are in the wild?

Back in Oct. of 2005 we were on the rim of the crater (Tanzania) when I heard a very loud bird and only got a glimpse of it. I sat there for quite a while before it returned when this photo was taken (very low light, Canon EOS xt, f/5.6, exp. 1/320, ISO 400 @ 300mm, photo has been lightened).
I didn’t fine it in any of the books that I could get my hands on but knew it was a Turaco.
I found a web site International Turaco Society UK: http://www.turacos.org/ were David from the society identified it as a sub-species of “Schalow’s”, common name; “Long crested Turaco

Posted Image

You can go to Dave's site and click on his picture in the upper left hand corner to hear a "Schalow's" Turaco call:My link
Tracker

Edited by Game Warden, 06 April 2012 - 04:51 PM.

• offshorebirder likes this

#10 Rainbirder

Rainbirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Nice image!!!

This is a Schalow's Turaco -it is monotypic ( no subspecies) though was previously lumped with Livingstone's Turaco at which time the birds now known as Schalow's were sometimes referred to as Long-crested as they have a longer crest than typical Livingstone's Turaco. They have a patchy distribution in Tanzania being found mainly in the west of the country but can also be found around the crater area; TZ Birder will be able to advise better than me. In Kenya they are confined to the riparian forests along the Mara and Talek rivers and are often found in the grounds of the camps (I have photographed them at Mara Intrepids and Kichwa Tembo). In fact we had three birds in a fig tree above the open-air breakfast bar at Kichwa Tembo in July 2011.

Posted Image
I have better images somewhere (still on unprocessed cards) but here is an old image from above our tent at the Mara Intrepids camp. Though shy they are curious and are attracted towards deep throaty hooting (this comes naturally to a Scotsman - especially after a few sundowners!).

#11 tracker

tracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Nice image!!!

This is a Schalow's Turaco -it is monotypic ( no subspecies) though was previously lumped with Livingstone's Turaco at which time the birds now known as Schalow's were sometimes referred to as Long-crested as they have a longer crest than typical Livingstone's Turaco. They have a patchy distribution in Tanzania being found mainly in the west of the country but can also be found around the crater area; TZ Birder will be able to advise better than me. In Kenya they are confined to the riparian forests along the Mara and Talek rivers and are often found in the grounds of the camps (I have photographed them at Mara Intrepids and Kichwa Tembo). In fact we had three birds in a fig tree above the open-air breakfast bar at Kichwa Tembo in July 2011.

Posted Image
I have better images somewhere (still on unprocessed cards) but here is an old image from above our tent at the Mara Intrepids camp. Though shy they are curious and are attracted towards deep throaty hooting (this comes naturally to a Scotsman - especially after a few sundowners!).

Rainbirder,
Thanks, for the info; the only thing about the picture I took is there is no white below the eye as the Schalow’s Turaco has.

PS thanks G.W. for the post edit, what was I doing wrong?

Tracker

#12 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi Tracker, you were linking to the thumbnail on your gallery page, instead of opening the full image and linking to that one :)

#13 Rainbirder

Rainbirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Nice image!!!

Posted Image

Rainbirder,
Thanks, for the info; the only thing about the picture I took is there is no white below the eye as the Schalow’s Turaco has.

PS thanks G.W. for the post edit, what was I doing wrong?

Tracker

Hi Tracker,

According to the Handbook of the Birds of the World Schalow's Turaco is monotypic and though several races have been described for the Eastern populations including those of northern Tanzania none of these races are currently accepted. The HBW also states: "white line under eye present in most individuals, but may be greatly reduced or even absent on North Tanzanian birds."

Cheers,
Steve

#14 tracker

tracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Rainbirder & G.W.

Thanks with your help-Happy Easter!

Tracker

#15 DaveM

DaveM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

For me its probably Pels Fishing Owl. So hard to find these birds and quite hard to get nice photos of them. I had a nice shot of an adult with chick but can't seem to find it now  :wacko:

Also seen Livingstones Turaco - very localised but not sure how rare they are?

Ground Hornbill are pretty scarce nowadays.

#16 Knowafrica

Knowafrica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Photo of Pel's Fishing Owl at Jacana camp in Okavango Delta . . . and how I got to it !

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0965.JPG

Photo of Ground Hornbill with catch that I took in Kruger.

IMG_0616.JPG

• JohnR, michael-ibk, Peter Connan and 1 other like this

#17 Anomalure

Anomalure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

I'm not a birder by any stretch, but Gray-necked Picathartes would certainly win.

The two turacos I've seen (Great Blue in CAR and Schalow's in Kenya) and African Gray Parrot (CAR) were beautiful too...

• Tom Kellie likes this

#18 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,984 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:31 AM

Dodo... still haven't seen one, but I keep lookin' ...

• Peter Connan likes this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#19 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

I don't really know, but judging by the commotion it caused when I showed the photo, it's probably this:

SpottyODP.jpg
  • ZaminOz and Tom Kellie like this
Ek oefen skelm.

#20 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,984 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

I don't really know, but judging by the commotion it caused when I showed the photo, it's probably this:

"this" being...?

Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.