Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

A protective leopard mother and her cubs.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

A brilliant series!!! great pics and story!

#22 Gary T

Gary T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I don't post very often but I have to say the ethics of disturbing a den site with such young cubs have to be seriously questioned. :angry: In all likelihood the mother will have moved these cubs to another den site following this intrusion with all the danger that entails. Yes, you got some nice photos but a pity they may have led to a premature end for these cubs.

Was this at Tafika?

#23 africaaddict

africaaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

I don't post very often but I have to say the ethics of disturbing a den site with such young cubs have to be seriously questioned. :angry: In all likelihood the mother will have moved these cubs to another den site following this intrusion with all the danger that entails. Yes, you got some nice photos but a pity they may have led to a premature end for these cubs.

Was this at Tafika?

Sorry Gary, you're entitled to your opinion but I must disagree with you, :angry: mum was going to move those cubs regardless and a completely natural thing for her to do.
Leopard cubs at this stage of development get moved almost weekly with ALL the usual danger that this entails whether we had found them or not.
We were extremely careful in our approach to this pair and made sure we were the only vehicle around, please remember that we were in a remote area of the Sth Luangwa
and not the Kruger, Mara or Sabi Sands. <_<

Edited by africaaddict, 17 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#24 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Could I maybe use those pictures for our survival records? Rarely get pictures that good of leopards that small!
My blog about my life and work in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia: http://egildroge.blogspot.com

#25 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,614 posts
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Jochen

What is your user name on 500px?

Jochen Van de Perre
http://500px.com/marulacamp/photos

We should hook up, all us here on ST. I'll start a thread!

#26 Gary T

Gary T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Was this at Tafika?

Sorry Gary, you're entitled to your opinion but I must disagree with you, :angry: mum was going to move those cubs regardless and a completely natural thing for her to do.
Leopard cubs at this stage of development get moved almost weekly with ALL the usual danger that this entails whether we had found them or not.
We were extremely careful in our approach to this pair and made sure we were the only vehicle around, please remember that we were in a remote area of the Sth Luangwa

Sorry, you don't know that they would get moved. You obviously weren't very careful given the reaction of the mother.

FYI, I have been out with this guide and witnessed very aggressive harassment of a female leopard at night with spotlights, head lights and revving engines. The worst case of it that type of behaviour I've seen I'd seen including Sabis Sands, Mara or anywhere else. So the above doesn't surprise me but hey, you got your photos. Who cares about the animals? :(

Did you use spotlights near these cubs?

Edited by Gary T, 17 March 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#27 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,997 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 AM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Gary T and Africaaddict, please do start a new topic on the ethics of obtaining the best shot. I think it would be a very beneficial topic. Thanks, Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#28 africaaddict

africaaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

Sorry, you don't know that they would get moved. You obviously weren't very careful given the reaction of the mother.

FYI, I have been out with this guide and witnessed very aggressive harassment of a female leopard at night with spotlights, head lights and revving engines. The worst case of it that type of behaviour I've seen I'd seen including Sabis Sands, Mara or anywhere else. So the above doesn't surprise me but hey, you got your photos. Who cares about the animals? :(

Did you use spotlights near these cubs?

Gary

You know absolutely NOTHING about what went on at this particular sighting and your assumptions are plain wrong, and over reactive. :angry:

Edited by africaaddict, 18 March 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#29 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

My comment has nothing to do with this thread or the pictures here .......

I was watching a tv program the other day on Animal Planet - on mala mala, they actually darted a Leopard and put a chip in so that Kim would follow her and make his film ................. My reaction - who am I to judge what goes on ...... but, I shut the TV off!!!!
http://500px.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#30 africaaddict

africaaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

A footnote to this sighting-

Much to my relief, I have heard from my guide, Bryan (2 days ago) that a week later that they were observed from a much greater distance and found all were still at the den site!

May I also add that I'm not in the habit of scaring flighty leopard mums with cubs from the possibility of abandoning their den sites.
This incident happened so quickly and after we left I had terrible guilt pains.

#31 loafer247

loafer247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Someone feeling terrible guilt pains would not proudly show off the photos?

#32 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,803 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 PM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Stuff happens in the wild and unpredictable world of safaris, so I don't think any of us can be too judgmental. If any of us can say with all certainty that our actions had no detrimental effect on any of the animals we photographed, I'd be very sceptical indeed.

So the animals are safe, it wasn't done intentionally and we can appreciate some fine photography.

Let's leave the judge and jury for some other place, the points have been made.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#33 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Stuff happens in the wild and unpredictable world of safaris, so I don't think any of us can be too judgmental. If any of us can say with all certainty that our actions had no detrimental effect on any of the animals we photographed, I'd be very sceptical indeed.

So the animals are safe, it wasn't done intentionally and we can appreciate some fine photography.

+1

#34 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

+1

+ another 1
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#35 Kavey

Kavey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

+1
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
--------------------
"I cannot rest from travel; I will drink
Life to the lees."
Alfred Tennyson

#36 africaaddict

africaaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Someone feeling terrible guilt pains would not proudly show off the photos?

Spoken by someone who probably never leaves the front door of their house. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by africaaddict, 26 March 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#37 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Shall we wrap this one up? I did ask earlier in the thread about starting a new topic on photography ethics. Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#38 loafer247

loafer247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Personal message sent to me by Africaaddict, and I quote:

"wtf do you come on this site for???
You honestly gotta be joking!!!??? "

I though the point of this forum was to share opinions? Did I attack or discredit you in a rude, undignified manner? All I did is voice my opinion on the ethics of your photos.

Anyways, for someone who, and I quote again "Spoken by someone who probably never leaves the front door of their house", I'll leave this forum and site from now on. Pity because I've lived in Kenya for 3/4 of my life, been on over 50 safaris, and am in the process of moving back to Kenya to set up a lodge / photography safaris in one of the new conservanices North of the Mara.

#39 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks alot. Just the kind of interaction I need on Safaritalk. People looking in on these kind of exchanges will be put off from joining and participating, and some, such as Loafer247 will leave.

I posted a message the other day about manners to new users, looks like I should do the same for long time users. Anybody who sends offensive PMs to other members needs to consider their place in this community: opinions are shared and we don't always agree, but is that reason enough to send such PMs? And members who receive similar PMs are asked to bring them to my attention: I have always felt to be approachable, and not a faceless admin.

Closing this topic.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.