What’s at issue:
- proposed development of 10 new accommodation units, 10 new luxury camping sites, a new access road, upgrading of services infrastructure and a landing strip at Nossob camp in the east
- a luxury camp site at Gharagab north of Nossob and
- a luxury camp site at Craig Lockhart south of Mata Mata on the Auob riverbed in the west of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.
I have seen over the years how this arid park struggles with roads, water, sanitation and maintenance in general, so I have to ask: if maintenance of existing facilities is already problematic, how will this be managed if even more facilities and up to 56 cars cars and 158 more tourists per day have to be catered for?
To my mind, obvious concerns are:
- the sub-par and limited road structure
- water, which is already in short supply and of seriously dubious quality
- extra rubbish and where it will be dumped/disposed of.
Please read my piece on this issue at http://roxannereid.w...e-your-say.html for more info:
- why people who love this park should be concerned
- a link to the Environmental Assessment Public Participation notice
- contact details of where to send your comments by 15 March 2012