Cheetah week at Mara Plains; Loita Migration; Fabulous tented camp and lots lots more

madaboutcheetah

I know as a fact that "tiny" Thomas (based at Kwara) is one of the guides who as recently as mid january went to MM in the a.m. exchange program - Thomas is the one who looks quite a bit like Shaquile O'Neal

madaboutcheetah

I know as a fact that "tiny" Thomas (based at Kwara) is one of the guides who as recently as mid january went to MM in the a.m. exchange program - Thomas is the one who looks quite a bit like Shaquile O'Neal

That's him ...... Remember him very well from lagoon 2010

Yes, "tiny" Tom was the other guide doing the exchange- he was my guide at Lagoon in 2010 and he was at Kwara in December.

It was a bit bizarre to see the Kwando logo in the Mara I have to say. It seems like a good exchange program they have going- it's good for the guides to see how things are done elsewhere. I had some interesting chats with the Karen Blixen guides at Kwara about the differences between guiding in the Mara and in Botswana.

Imagine Hobbs in the Mara. It would be quite an experience!!

madaboutcheetah

Imagine Hobbs in the Mara. It would be quite an experience!!

Ya, that would be exceptionally easy for him to find predators ..... He will definitely go out of his way to find the dogs Where ever they might be. He also might think it's the easiest place to hunt with the dogs should they pop up!

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Yes, "tiny" Tom was the other guide doing the exchange- he was my guide at Lagoon in 2010 and he was at Kwara in December.

It was a bit bizarre to see the Kwando logo in the Mara I have to say. It seems like a good exchange program they have going- it's good for the guides to see how things are done elsewhere. I had some interesting chats with the Karen Blixen guides at Kwara about the differences between guiding in the Mara and in Botswana.

I took my cap and the kwando sweat shirt ...... Mara guiding is way too easy? Guidess even use cell phones as a tracking mechanism.

425338_10150609530884398_668264397_9235249_2068912147_n.jpg

Cheetah mum with approx 9 month old. Not sure if readers remember this lady, she was saved by KWS sometime last year when she had a broken foot/leg ...... no, this not Narasha who had the gash and treated. Another female cheetah from the reserve.

Hari, I was with Narasha last September when she had a bum rear leg. It looked like a sprain, and after 4 days of unsuccessful hunts KWS was called in to assist. They cleared the 3 vehicles that were at a sighting with her and told us to go away. We returned after a little while and apparently they had shot and delivered an adult thomson gazelle nearby for her to dine on. I am here now with Russell at MPC and we haven't seen Narasha yet, and the guides tell me that they haven't seen her in a while.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks for stopping by, Andy ....... I'm sure you are having great sightings as I type this ......... Ya, heard from Russell the other day and seems to be having an awesome time. Hello to everyone there at Mara Plains Camp!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Are those all from this trip?

Edit: Sorry, just saw the Meerkat! Obviously not...

Edited by pault

madaboutcheetah

Sorry - assorted images. Paul, the meerkat was from the trip with Ewan.

Hari, stupid me, but I hadn't realized what a very talented photographer you were until I saw all the 500px shots! I had seen some of your pics on the Kwando website and then some in your reports, but this collection is superb.

Talk of intimidated, I am now thoroughly intimidated by the photography talents I see here and have lost all desire to post my point & shoot stuff...

madaboutcheetah

You are much too kind, Sangeeta .........

Super LEEDS

Hey MAC

I read the report but only just got round to looking at the pics. Not sure if these 2 are from this trip but they are quite unique!

I was looking at this pic and the leopard is positively grinning - perhaps in a way only a leopard can.

http://500px.com/photo/6044436

I was then thinking what great luck and timing to get that shot and its very rare when I see this one:

http://500px.com/photo/5958133

The cheetah is having a jolly old laugh. Heard of laughing hyaena but chuckling cheetah!?! :lol:

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, Super Leeds - not from this Mara trip ............ older pics from Kwando Lebala from August 2010. The Leopard was feeding on Serval. The cheetah brothers were feeding on Tsessebe and fighting over that huge carcass (grin amidst the feeding and fighting) that they could not possibly finish!!!

Hari

madaboutcheetah

http://500px.com/photo/6097567

Here in this image, she cleans the fur off the Serval carcass .......

Edited by madaboutcheetah

What an amazing collection of images!!!

The leopard with a Serval kill is amazing!l

madaboutcheetah

What an amazing collection of images!!!

The leopard with a Serval kill is amazing!l

Thanks a lot!!!

Super LEEDS

Haha, nice one, MAC. Goes well with the other 2.

Edited by Super LEEDS

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

Just saw some news from the facebook feed of Great Plains Conservation yesterday - plans are in the wings to open a second camp in the Mara "Mara Toto" ........ let's await further details ........... Thumbs Up!!!

Also, an explorations camp in the Selinda too ........

I'm fairly sure the Mara doesn't need another camp - can't they buy out someone already there?

However, if it is opening up a new area to conservation (a la Naboisho), you can have my thumbs too. :P

madaboutcheetah

I'm fairly sure the Mara doesn't need another camp - can't they buy out someone already there?

However, if it is opening up a new area to conservation (a la Naboisho), you can have my thumbs too. :P

Fair point! Can't disagree ....... may yet do that - we should await further details.