Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Need help with buying a camera

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hello all,

I want to buy a new camera for my proposed safari in June/July. I already have a Nikon L120, but as I have a $1300 credit at a camera shop I thought that I'd use it to get something suitable.

Firstly, I am a real amateur, and about all I know, so far, is that I want digital.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

gangurru

Edited by gangurru, 01 March 2012 - 01:07 PM.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.....Groucho Marx

#2 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi Gangurru

One of the ST members has just bought a Canon SX40 and taken for a trip- I had briefly seen it couple of months back and was duly impressed. It will come at roughly a third or fourth of your credit. Will know by mid March how it fared on the trip! We did a comparison with quite a few other makes and figured this one had the most relevant features for wildlife photography in a hybrid.

Not much experience with other makes but others will chip in!

#3 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

I expect you will receive a wealth of advice here from all levels of photography so tread cautiously!

Learn from all but buy at the level that is right for you.

If your not already into photography as a hobby then it is possible that you will not catch the bug!.... That's a lot of money sat in the cupboard doing nothing when you get home!

If you buy budget say under AU$600 you've less money sat around going to waste plus also you'll still use the camera for happy snapping.

You can learn a lot from a modern "Bridge camera" & get some excellent results, then by the time your ready to upgrade to a more professional camera you will have a better choice, this year's models will be cheaper as they're old models & next years upgraded models are on the market.

Bonus! You'll still have your original camera for the glove box for those unexpected moments.

#4 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for your replies. I look forward to hearing how the Canon SX40 camera goes on the trip Tanya. You're right of course Nappa, it's pointless spending a large amount of money on a camera that is not going to be of much use to me. But as I mentioned I do have this credit which I must use, perhaps I'll look at buying a less expensive camera and see what else they have available.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.....Groucho Marx

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

You should buy something that will have a good resale value; i.e. something just out and very good. Then in a few months you can sell it for 70+% of what you paid for it if it doesn't work out for you. Or sell your remaining credit to a photographer for $xxx and both smile!

Edit: Oops.... too late!

Edit @: No it's not... I misread the other thread. :rolleyes:

Edited by pault, 01 March 2012 - 04:48 PM.

August is coming.... that waiting nearly over

#6 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,360 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. I look forward to hearing how the Canon SX40 camera goes on the trip Tanya. You're right of course Nappa, it's pointless spending a large amount of money on a camera that is not going to be of much use to me. But as I mentioned I do have this credit which I must use, perhaps I'll look at buying a less expensive camera and see what else they have available.

gangarru,

I would suggest that you reserve part of your credit (say +/- 50%) for a decent pair of binoculars.

For example, you could get the Canon SX40 for $519 at DCW:
SX40 at DCW

and have $781 left over for camera bag, SD memory cards and binoculars such as the Nikon Monarch 8x42:
Binos
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#7 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,289 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

put a heavy camera strap on the binos if necessary atached with a cable tie

get ultra speed sd cards as the images transfer to the card at a faster speed

get more lower capacity sd cards rather than a few big ones, you can label them and it is not such a massivde disaster if stolen.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#8 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,607 posts
  • Local time: 04:55 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:43 AM

I think Zaminoz make an excellent suggestion.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#9 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, you've given me quite a lot to think about.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it really necessary to spend $500 on binocs?

I can get a really good deal on the Nikon D5100 plus 18-55 and 55-300 lenses....is anyone familiar with this camera?

#10 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'd say yes, but then I use my binoculars most days.
As with cameras you get what you pay for.

#11 PCNW

PCNW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, you've given me quite a lot to think about.

I can get a really good deal on the Nikon D5100 plus 18-55 and 55-300 lenses....is anyone familiar with this camera?

I got the D5100 for our first trip to Africa in July. Mainly I got this one because I thought it was the same camera that my daughter has and we could have the same batteries and chargers...as it turned out she has the D5000 and the batteries and chargers aren't the same.

I like this camera but I have put a fair amount of time on learning to use it off the auto mode that I've always used with my other digital cameras. It's well worth investing that time even if you just use the Aperture or Shutter priority modes.

Initially I got the 18-55 and the 70-300 f4-5.6 G VR lenses. Now I'm already upgrading to the 24-120 f/4 VR and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I'm also getting the TC 1.4.

I got most of my advise from the very informative and patient people on Outdoorphotographer.co.za forums. They've given me a great of help and advise.

Best of luck to you on your purchase and your trip. Where are you heading? Patsy

#12 Lion Fanatic

Lion Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 01:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Just my 2p's worth...like yourself, I'm new to digital. I purchased a Canon 450D for $375 and its turned out to be a good camera (so far). For the beginner its a good camera to learn digital but the only drawback is that its not full frame. That said, its the lens that will cost you a bomb.

ZaminOz is spot on about the Nikon Monarch 8x42 binos. I picked up a pair off of ebay for $150 and they are excellent. The detail you see at a qtr mile is impressive.

Good luck!

#13 Lion Fanatic

Lion Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

That 18-55 lens isnt very good, tbo. My Canon came with one that has IS (image stabiliser), and I doubt very seriously that I will ever use it, but thats because I replaced it with a 24-105 L IS.

As far as a zoom lens, the 300 that you refer to would have to be a minimum size. 400 would be better.

#14 PCNW

PCNW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

That 18-55 lens isnt very good, tbo. My Canon came with one that has IS (image stabiliser), and I doubt very seriously that I will ever use it, but thats because I replaced it with a 24-105 L IS.

As far as a zoom lens, the 300 that you refer to would have to be a minimum size. 400 would be better.

...hum, I'm assuming you're referring to the 400 F/2.8 Nikon since he's asking about the D5100 and if so then you're aware of the size and $10,000 USD price of that lens... for a beginner. And the 18-55 is a fine lens for a new photographer.

#15 Treepol

Treepol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi,

I am very pleased with my new Lumix FZ150. Its not a digital SLR, but has a 24X optical zoom and its seems to handle low light conditions better than the FZ5 and FZ18 that I have owned.

The camera cost $650 AUD and sadly does not take the same batteries as its predecessor. I purchased an ultra (Class 10) sanDisk to maximise image transfer and will purchase a couple of spare batteries.

I also agree with ZaminOz - save some credit for good binocs. I paid $280 for a pair of Bushnell (Birding series) 8x42 and have been very pleased with them on 2 safaris.

Here are a couple of photos from my first outing with the new camera. It was a very dark, overcast afternoon on the Hobart Domain when I took these and they have been editted in Picasa.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was also interested in this discussion over at Birdforum which confirmed my choice of the the FZ150, http://www.birdforum...highlight=FZ150 and here are some other threads discussing the Canon SX40, http://www.birdforum...archid=12308022

I think purchasing cameras is one of the most overwhelming experiences one can face!

Regards,

Pol
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

#16 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:42 AM

Hi Treepol, yes we looked at the Lumix FZ150 too which is the right comparison for Canon SX40. Agree its a great camera for the 12 fps it gives as Canon's is only 8 to 10 ( they say 10 but I think it comes to around 8). But ended up picking the SX40 on account of higher zoom (840mm versus 600), and slightly better on vid quality plus a faster min shutter speed.

Also the FZ was around USD150-200 more expensive or so. Both have a flip out screen which I thought would be really useful for awkward angles. FZ150 also has the ability take in RAW if you want to do a lot of editing afterwards- this was not important to us- Its a lighter smaller camera compared to SX40 so one can look at both and see which feels better.

Ganguru- snapsort.com and lots of other webistes including dpreview etc will do a kind of feature by feature comparison between 2 cameras and then you can shortlist the ones that are more important to you- its a very close comparison between these 2.

What would also help is to check these kind of bridge super-zoom cameras and the DSLR and test for yourself if you want to invest more into a proper DSLR kit- the investment is not just money but the lugging around, changing lens, cleaning, maintenance etc- its not a big deal if you would end up using it a lot and like the idea of playing around with pics etc but if convenience is important, then the super-zooms might suit better.

#17 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

I have a Lumix FZ50, quite big, which suits my thick clumsy hands. Zoom & focus are rings on the lens barrel I would never get along with the little buttons most "Bridge Cameras" have!
It takes what for me are excellent pictures & I think as good as some entry level DSLR.
Both "Point & Shoot" & "Bridge Cameras" all have their place & are excellent for Safari they but will never match the photo quality of a decent DSLR body & lens in the right hands.

You get's what you pay for!

#18 Lion Fanatic

Lion Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

...hum, I'm assuming you're referring to the 400 F/2.8 Nikon since he's asking about the D5100 and if so then you're aware of the size and $10,000 USD price of that lens... for a beginner. And the 18-55 is a fine lens for a new photographer.

Goodness graceous, no. I was referring to a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Canon lens and I should have made that clear - my mistake.

Swings and roundabouts on the 18-55 lens...from your point of view, you are correct, but for me its rather limited. I believe I read on here that Tony Park said it was only good for throwing at Vervet monkees...a bit harsh on the monkees, I thought :)

#19 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the input......Had a quick look for binocs on Ebay and they had some at quite good prices

#20 dikdik

dikdik

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Check This link on Binoculars

Some worthwhile advice there.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.