Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Southern Tanzania

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnfrombrum

johnfrombrum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'm planning a self-drive trip later in the year - starting in Namibia (July) and ending in Nairobi (September).

Having travelled up through Malawi to Mbeya (Tanzania), I then hope to drive parallel to the border - via Njombe, Songea, Tunduru, Masasi - to the coast at Lindi/Mtwara before heading North along the coast.

There seems to be very little information on this part of the world, so anything would be appreciated - especially places to stay/camp, must see things and road conditions.
John
Birmingham
UK

Travel Blog

#2 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,737 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

There have been some articles on driving through Southern Tanzania on the Travel News Kenya online magazine. Good little magazine, free and you should be able to access older issues.

website here

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#3 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:45 AM

Might be a good idea to skip Malawi. They are in the midst of ongoing fuel shortages. I suggest going Lusaka, SLNP, NLNP, Great North Rd. and crossing into Tanzania. Then go ahead with the route plan. Or drive to Morogoro, enter the Selous and come out of the park on the East side at the Rufiji. Drive to the coast and maybe see Kilwa and Mafia Island. Then North to Dar.

#4 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

From Moz news this morning that Malawi has run out of money to import fuel through Beira and so it seems fuel is going to become an even bigger issue there.

#5 TZBirder

TZBirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM
  • Category 1:Ecologist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'd say the same as I did in Jan. It really isn't the most exciting of routes. How long do you want to take over it anyway? I don't know of any 'official' campsites down there apart from hunting camps and mining camps, which I'd stick clear of (why would there be any?). If you want to do things by the book then when you are thinking about camping you should turn up at the village office before it shuts (4pm) and dig up the village head and make some agreement with him. In theory you also have to fork out significant sums to Wildlife Division and, if you're in a hunting concession (which you almost certianly will be), get things agreed with the concessionaire. I'd estimate the official cost of a bush camp would come to at c. $100 each. And you'll still probably end up under a tree with no facilities and a crowd of children for company... Unsurprisingly, there's no-one that does it this way, ever. Less properly, pastors of rural churches often don't mind people camping on their plot if asked. (Guaranteed company!) When I'm on a trip and overnighting somewhere I just find a quiet spot off the road as it's starting to get dark, then leave promptly in the morning. A whole lot less hassle, and no-one I've ever met in the bush has cared at all. If I'm not planning on clearing out first thing I'll try and make contact with the local village and, if required, pay a small fee. (That's what we did at the weekend, using Dorobo contacts.)

I'd still look for a more interseting route...

#6 Rainbirder

Rainbirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

There have been some articles on driving through Southern Tanzania on the Travel News Kenya online magazine. Good little magazine, free and you should be able to access older issues.

website here

Thanks for this link!

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.