Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What Africa books have you bought recently?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 VeeR

VeeR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Aid/Voluntary Worker

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

I just finished Wild Eden by June Kay.  I took into consideration that it was written in 1964 and the "Born Free" lifestyle might have been all the rage - but really did people really go on safari in Moremi with a "tame" lioness, three small dogs, and proceed to pick up just about every baby critter they encounter?  There was plenty of adventures/mishaps and at least none of the dogs became dinner.

I like her book "The Thirteenth Moon" better as there was some history of the founding of Moremi.  

#82 Soukous

Soukous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

I'm fascinated by books that tell me more about Africa's history. I particularly enjoy books written around the time that most African nations were gaining their independence as they are very different to those written about the same events now. I went through a phase of reading everything I could on the Congo/Zaire/Congo. Did the same with Biafra.

It is intriguing to read how the same events are viewed from different sides.

Congo/Zaire/Congo

The Catastrophist - Ronan Bennett

Who Killed Hammerskjold - Susan Williams

The Kantanga Run - Richard Cox

The Savages - Ronald Hardy

East Africa

An Ice Cream war - William Boyd

Ghosts of Africa - William Stevenson

Biafra

The Biafra Story - Frederick Forsythe

Sunset in Biafra - Elechi Amadi

Behind the Rising Sun - S.O. Mezu

Sunset at Dawn - Chukwuemeka ike

Mission to Kala - Mongo Beti

I read the Biafra books about 25 years ago and I'm really enjoying reading them all again now.

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS
martin@wildlifephotographyafrica.com

www.wildlifephotographyafrica.com

Wildlife Photography Blog

@wildphotoafrica

#83 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,705 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Frans Lanting superb pictorial OKAVANGO has been reprinted with many new images.

my next book is Greg Du Toit AFRICAN WILDLIFE EXPOSED as advertised in AFR GEOGRAPHIC and published by HPH , his images have been superb in the magazine. I have ordered online in advance from fishpond delivery is due from 27 sept

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#84 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

http://www.ucpress.e...a8464-275319449

GIRAFFE  REFLECTIONS has arrived and it is great both text and photos.

the photos are by karl ammann ,text by dale peterson from harvard university written for an intelligent lay  readership no science degree required.

karl is a busy man ,looked at his site  what with the wildlife trasde stuff things take time

no forthcoming  books listed, his CV gives an estimate for the elephant book as 2006, it was published in 2009.

it is broken up into chapters most is text then a good selection of photos follow.

text and photos of okapi are included.

their are some photos of lions preying on giraffes, but they are not that gory, especially when compared of many of the others I have seen of lions hunting and devouring  their prey.

book  strongly recommended

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#85 micmic

micmic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

I have too many African books I haven't read (and I keep buying more) but now I'm reading "A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa" by F.C. Selous. It is amazing how things were back in 1870-1880. There are some things that sound wonderful, like the freedom to move practically everywhere you wanted and explore virtually uncharted lands. Of course, the way they were shooting elephants (and everything else) at the time would make someone cringe today, but I get the idea that the thought some species may become endangered either didn't cross anyone's mind or it didn't matter at all. And even though some remote places were teeming with wildlife, it looks to me that hunting had already taken its toll in the more accessible areas and some national parks today are much, much better wildlife spots than what they would have been back then.

I read that Selous decided to become a hunter after reading Baldwin's "African Hunting from the Natal to the Zambezi", which describes the area from 1852 to 1860, so I've bought that as well and it will be my next one.

Akufukuzae hakwambii toka

#86 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

AFRICAN WILDLIFE EXPOSED has arrived it is a superb collection of images , eles, cats, rhinos etc. Thoroughly recommended. All the images are available as fine art prints on paper or canvas via his web site.

#87 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I buy calendars to get the wonderfull pictures , and decided to try online because it is cheaper.

Browntrout produces great work, many of their pictures are up laminated on my walls.

their 2014 elephan calenda is great.

THE ELEPHANT FAMILIES CALENDAR 2014 from Tushita publishers has many pictures of cute ele babies, the January 2015 one is of a very young baby with a whole lot of bohy hair, delightfull.

#88 JD5000

JD5000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

just going to start MY LIFE WITH LEOPARDS BY GRAHAM COOKE CO WRITTEN BY FRANSJE VAN REIL.

We had the pleasure recently of being in a van when this other guest said theres a leopard in the road down there .yeh right where down there look .well guess he had had a bit of practice cause after a day or 2  of this other guest being spotted by the guides as somebody they knew . We realized that he knew how to spot a leopard cause this is after all his story.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.