See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What Africa books have you bought recently?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

And why did you choose them? List them below and let us know what you thought of them. Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Picked up a copy of Isak Dinesen's biography from the Karen Blixen museum' bookshop which seemed appropriate. Haven't read it yet.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#3 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Is that the one by Linda Donelson? "Out of Isak Dinesen."

A couple of years ago I was in contact with Linda about writing an article and doing an interview for Safaritalk, and even sent her the questions, but then after a long time never heard anything back and emails went unanswered. Let us know what you think. Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#4 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 AM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

No Matt, this is by Judith Thurman. Titled 'Isak Dinesen, the life of a storyteller'.
Published in 1982 ... just noticed. So it isn't a new book ( my copy is)! :rolleyes:
She makes use of unpublished manuscripts and family documents and had help from family. I must finish my current book so that I can start it.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#5 melequus

melequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

I am going on my first safari in June so I am busy finding every book I can, either new or 2nd hand. I just purchased:
Eye of the Elephant by Delia and Mark Owens, Cape to Cairo by Kingsly Holgate, Whatever You Do, Don't Run by Peter Allison and The Safari Companion by Richard Estes.
I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.

Gary Larson

#6 PCNW

PCNW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

Antipodes, Facing The Lions, The Unheard, Man Eaters Of Tsavo, Whatever You Do Don't run.

#7 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 PM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Mel-
As long as you are reading the Owens, I recommend reading Cry of the Kalahari before you read Eye of the Elephant. Might as well read them in chronological order.
One pangolin to rule them all......

#8 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

I bought:
When Elephant Was King: And Other Tales from Africa,
When Bat Was A Bird: And Other Animal Tales From Africa and
When lion could fly: and other tales from Africa
(all by Nick Greaves) - collections of traditional African animal related folk tales, which I read to my son.

Edited by ZaminOz, 21 February 2012 - 02:22 AM.

• optig likes this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#9 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 PM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Mrs. Pangolin has those three as well.

Edited by Pangolin, 21 February 2012 - 03:01 AM.

One pangolin to rule them all......

#10 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 AM
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Am I the only nutcase that reads stuff like "Veld Management in South Africa" (by Neil Tainton)?

:unsure:
  • Sangeeta likes this

#11 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Mel, welcome to Safaritalk, you will get many book recommendations I'm sure. In the meantime, you can read our own Safaritalk interview with Richard Estes on Safaritalk here. Matt.

#12 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

I have bought a couple of books for my Kindle ready for my next trip away from civilisation (probably to Brussels in a couple of weeks time)

Trackers by Deon Meyer
For the Love of Wildlife by Chris Mercer, Bev Pervan
What pays stays.

#13 melequus

melequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Wow, thanks Matt,,,,thanks Richard Estes!
Kind regards,
Melissa
I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.

Gary Larson

#14 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,620 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

i started on the russell friedman book list which changed to network books

HPH Books are great very good composition often artistic

recently they came out with H and P van den berg kruger wildlife icon of south africa a4 colour great photo book

a while back there was SHADES OF NATURE saw a few pictures in africa geographic did not think much of them , then when I was getting the kruger book from an online supplier in new zealand it was on special for under aud40 ,why not try it , it is superd composition all b and w half tones with very poetic captions ,large pages almost as size. no longer being sold so cheap.

I browse publishers sites G Eckhart and a lanjouw MOUNTAIN GORILLAS BIOLOGY,CONSERVATION AND COEXISTENCE John hopkins univ press a few photos with a whole lot of text written by a long term NGO senior staffer for an intelligent lay audience , univ science degree not needed . deals in with detail with gorilla biology,ecology ,conservation issues etc very interesting

Boyd norton SERENGETI THE ETERNAL BEGINNING fulcrum press great pictorial also covers mara and ngorongoro

c o'connett AN ELEPHANT'S LIFE very good pictorial from a scientist giving detailed descriptions of behaviour instead of brief captions ,taken around one waterhole in etosha np namabia

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#15 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Reading Wilbur Smith's "For those in Peril" and I have to say that I am sure he is, at last, taking a leaf out to Tony Park's books. His new book is very exciting and much easier to read from Chapter 1 on than most of his others. I used to struggle with the first couple of chapters but this book is fast moving from page 1. I am reading WS because Tony Park is a bit slow with his new one - come on Tony :rolleyes:
But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#16 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,620 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

a very good pictorial of east african wildlife and scenery Alex Bernasconi WILD AFRICA firefly books he is a self taught photogropher thick lavish superb production highly recommended

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#17 tonypark

tonypark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

Reading Wilbur Smith's "For those in Peril" and I have to say that I am sure he is, at last, taking a leaf out to Tony Park's books. His new book is very exciting and much easier to read from Chapter 1 on than most of his others. I used to struggle with the first couple of chapters but this book is fast moving from page 1. I am reading WS because Tony Park is a bit slow with his new one - come on Tony :rolleyes:

Samburumags I'm writing as fast as I can!

#18 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Cry of the Kalahari, Maneaters of Tsavo, Out of Africa, Karen Blixen

Cry the Beloved Country…...everyone should read this

Slow Journey South by Paula Constant

Ivory Crisis, Ian Parker & Mohamed Amin…interesting and very readable, though somewhat controversial book by an old-style game warden, with great photos.

Dark Star Safari -by Paul Theroux….Couldn’t put it down

Africa, A Timeless Soul, Sorrel Wilby (Really enjoyed this, made me want to get on the next plane to Africa)

A prisoner in the garden, Nelson Mandela’s prison archive, The Long Walk Home, Nelson Mandela…Inspirational

Sahara, Michael Palin

Coming of Age with Elephants by Joyce Poole…fascinating

Zambezi, Delta, African Sky, Far Horizon, African Sky, Silent Predator, Ivory, African Dawn, by our very own Tony Park…all Highly Recommended

All of Alexander McCall Smith’s No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series….I love these they are so funny and so soothing.

Many of Wilbur Smith’s books…but I prefer Tony’s.

Several of Deon Meyer’s mysteries…well worth reading

Travels in West Africa by Mary Kingsley, woman explorer, written 1897….incredible read

A Grain Of Wheat, Ngugi wa Thiong'o....wonderful writer from Kenya

Facing Mount Kenya, Jomo Kenyatta

…and many, many others
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.....Groucho Marx

#19 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Blimey, you've bought all these (and read them?) recently? Who is that Tony Park chap? Never heard of him... And for a second there I thought you'd written Sarah Palin :o

#20 gangurru

gangurru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Well yes GW I bought and read all of those during the past year...I had read some of them previously but decided that I wanted copies to read and reread.

I must admit to be somewhat addicted to reading....and I do read books unrelated to Africa as well.

Tony Park, hmmm I think he's some Aussie fellow whose book I picked up cheap somewhere, liked it, and bought several of his others. Just something to fill in the time really....and besides the poor fellow needs the money to support his lifestyle...but I do wish he'd hurry up and finish another book! My father, who used to be a big Wilbur Smith fan, has now switched to Tony's books, since I sent him one for his birthday.

Sarah Palin....OMG, I'd have to be really desperate to read anything of hers wouldn't I? I doubt she even knows where Africa is!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.....Groucho Marx

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.