Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Kenya During The Long Wet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marsden73

marsden73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Media/Journalist

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm hoping to get over to Kenya sooner rather than later to shoot in Aboselli, in fact there is a chance I may have to do this work during the long wet season. I haven't been to Kenya since I was a child and so I was wondering if I could seek the advice on this forum of photographers who haveworked overthere.

How wet is it? Is it pouring everyday making camping impossible and shooting a miserable experience?

Quality of light as we all know is often better during overcast days, is this true of Kenya during the long wet? Do we have the great sky softboz working at this time of year?
Finally, I have to get the mountain in the background. Is this going to happen during the long wet or can I forget even glimpsing the mountain?

Anyone who can answer these concerns will be my instant best buddy for life.

Cheers & Thanks

#2 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,732 posts
  • Local time: 07:45 AM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Probably no one will be able to adequately answer this as it is a movable feast. Seeing Kili is hard to predict and sometimes in the wet you will get clear days and lots of snow on the peak which makes for great pictures but you need time up your sleeve. In my experience, much of the rainfall is at night and sometimes heavy, sporadic down pours during the day. I haven't had a complete day's wash out but I'm sure it happens. Camping in the wet may be interesting, if you are staying in dome tents! Overcast skies are helpful as are stormy skies if you like landscapes. Sunny, blue skies are a bit boring in my opinion. The rains are unpredictable these days so you almost have to take your chances.

I'm sure others will have a better opinion.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#3 marsden73

marsden73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 AM
  • Category 2:Media/Journalist

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for this and apologies for the late reply. It would seem that camping is out of the question during the long wet however, the prospects for photography sound good and yes, I do have a bit of time up my sleeve. Thanks again.

#4 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,087 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

I have yet to encounter anyone who went in the wet season and said it was awful, the light was terrible, it rained all the time, and we saw no animals. I recall a few years back during floods in December that people were stuck in the mud for the better part of the day. Much scarier and far more tragic, in Samburu a flood destroyed properties one February as I recall and several local people lost their lives.

After a heavy rain, everything is more clear, including Kili probably.

As Twaffle says, camping would offer new challenges should the skies let loose often and for lengthy periods.

If the prospects are go during the rainy season or don't go, I'd go any time of year.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.