Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Accountable fundraising

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I receive a small income from advertisers on my YouTube video's, about $10 a month Posted Image

Nothing to make me rich so I'd like to donate it & other small amounts of income to wildlife charities in Zimbabwe.
I have raised & donated charitable money to Zimbabwe in the past but the money has just disappeared with out accountability, any enquiries met with blank answers! Not a problem with my own small amounts but when people donate money for me to give I need accountability for their money.
I do not mean every exact penny but just an indication on what the group is doing, antibiotics, training, patrols that sort of thing.

There are 3 groups that I know of in Zim that need money - AWARE, The Zambezi Society & The Wildlife Task-force.

Do you know of any more & their contacts please?

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,810 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Well, off the top of my head, there is Johnny Rodrigues of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, (you can see my interview with him here), to whom members have donated before, logistically and financially. Dikdik sent up some supplies I think following the Imire rhino poaching. (Is that who you mean by the Conservation Task Force?)

Karen Paolilo runs the Turgwe Hippo Trust which is based in the Save Valley Conservancy, (you can see my interview with her here), who although focusing mainly on the hippo population also undertakes other conservation work in her area.

There is also Greg Rasmussen of the Painted Dog Project, (who's interview can be seen here, and a fundraising initiative which Safaritalk members undertook here), who's work is well known.

I'm sure other members will chime in...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Well, off the top of my head, there is Johnny Rodrigues of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, (you can see my interview with him here), to whom members have donated before, logistically and financially. Dikdik sent up some supplies I think following the Imire rhino poaching. (Is that who you mean by the Conservation Task Force?)

Karen Paolilo runs the Turgwe Hippo Trust which is based in the Save Valley Conservancy, (you can see my interview with her here), who although focusing mainly on the hippo population also undertakes other conservation work in her area.

There is also Greg Rasmussen of the Painted Dog Project, (who's interview can be seen here, and a fundraising initiative which Safaritalk members undertook here), who's work is well known.

I'm sure other members will chime in...

Thanks Warden
One other point I forgot to mention is ease of donation, some causes are very difficult to donate with out incurring high bank fees!
If i have $100 to donate I don't want to donate $25 of it to a bank!

I'd rather the money went to general care rather than research.
I'm not a fan of the so called NGO research groups.

I had some donations at the timer of the Imari massacre & donated it to the reward fund with The Conservation Task Force, unfortunately I was unable to get a satisfactory answer to where that money went & enquiries went without reply.
Luckily the people that gave me money trusted that the money went towards conservation.

I understand that Africa works in a different gear to Europe, "We'll make a plan" which is OK for me but not good enough with other donor's!

As a bit of fun I made some DVD's for friends & also gave a few out to people, I actually got a couple of donations from them, I'd like to be able to offer them at the shows I do & at the talks I give. All the money going to charity. But again I would need to have some sort of accountability.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.