Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

A 2-legged wild dog

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,530 posts
  • Local time: 05:18 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Truly incredible.

#22 KafueTyrone

KafueTyrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 05:18 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Safari Guide

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Egil? Really? Where was he seen? Still with the pack? Great stuff!

www.jefferymckeith.com

info@jefferymckeith.com

#23 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,317 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Just when you're depressed with all the bad news, this guy comes dancing along! I think someone should make a movie on him for the Painted Dog project. It would dispel so many myths and showcase their social structure perfectly.

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#24 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Local time: 04:18 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

What an awesome dog, and an awesome pack!

I'd love to see a documentary about wild dogs. It's always the cats with the good PR.

#25 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

There are quite a few apparently- atleast 2-3 solely on dogs and another handful that includes them with hyenas, wolves etc. The only one I have is called Wild Dogs Biting Back. Also two of the Zambezi River docs I saw last week, had good footage of dogs- not exceptional, but good.

I tried to order couple of others but they were either not my region or out of stock but I keep an eye on this UK site- will try to recall the name and post....

#26 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I know there was some nice aerial footage of wild dogs hunting in one of those big documantary series- Planet Earth I think. Loads of people I've met on safari only know about wild dogs from that.

I was just googling to check it was Planet Earth and found this- http://www.bbc.co.uk...frican_Wild_Dog

Looks like there might be some good clips on there.

#27 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

this is the website- I have bought a couple other dvds from here

http://www.froghoppe....co.uk/wilddogs

#28 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 3,519 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Glad to hear this guy is hanging in there.

There was one documentary solely on wild dogs on animal planet or Nat Geo I think. The film makers followed a pack but as they were filming one of the dogs crossed a river that was on the border of the park and caught rabies, then brought it back to the pack and sadly all died. The film ended with a new pair taking over the territory and birthing some puppies I think.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#29 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Running with wild dogs is another documentary, also with a snippet of a dog who recovered from a broken leg, although it healed under a rather uncomfortable angle.
There is indeed some awesome aerial footage of wild dogs hunting in Planet Earth.
In the new BBC Survival, which is being filmed now, there should be some footage of wild dogs too. But that's series will still take some time to come out.

@Tyrone: Not sure where he was seen exactly, but Robin and Ana saw him.

Edited by egilio, 29 July 2012 - 09:35 AM.

My blog about my life and work in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia: http://egildroge.blogspot.com

#30 Molly

Molly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

Its seem that the dog's other two legs are smaller than the normal one.

Sad to see the dog being handicapped.

#31 Bwana Foster

Bwana Foster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 03:18 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

And seen again today by the ZCP team in Kafue. He's in reasonable good health, running ok, but can't stand on 2 legs, so seems to get down as soon as he stops running. What an amazing story!

Dogs and most animals are incredibly adapt at coping without a limb. Domestic dogs in particular seem to suffer very little consequences form being reduced to 3 legs although admittedly they do not have to catch their own food and avoid other predators. I used to train sheep dogs years ago and the young ones were always to eager to run in and bite the sheep and they ran around like a blur and would not listen, we used to hook one of their front legs through their collars and reduced them to 3 legs for training, this would slow them down a little(not a lot!) and then they would tend to listen more. I never experience one on two legs though-these wild dogs are real survivors!

#32 SafariChick

SafariChick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Local time: 08:18 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

I hadn't seen this thread before today. When I was just in Botswana in February, I saw the Chitabe pack of 10 (5 adults, 5 juveniles about 8 months old) and one had a limp, and wasn't putting weight on one of its feet.  Our guide said that this dog manages to get around well, and that he does get to kills at the back of the pack but it seems the pack helps him out and he does fine. That was heartwarming to hear.  You can see the limping dog in the beginning of this video I took

But this two-legged dog is really remarkable. Has anyone seen him more recently?

#33 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yes, has anyone seen the 2 legged wild dog recently and can provide updates for us here?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.