Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

BestPic Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi all

My old phone had a mode on it called BestPic whereby it would take approx 5 pictures instead of just the one - before and after the button was pressed - allowing you to choose which was the "best pic".

I've looked through the manual of my Canon SX20 and cant find anything so my question is: does this go by another name on 'proper' cameras or has anyone even seen this before?

Appreciate you (D)SLR wizards maybe would never need or even dream to use this mode. Just trying to help with my poor timing :) the closest I have found is burst mode but still understand this further in terms of how the focus works.

Thanks,

Leeds

#2 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

My old Panasonic FZ had burst shooting where it takes a few photos each time, but also continuous shooting where it just keeps taking photos as long as you hold the button down.

I have a DSLR now and use continuous shooting all the time. In fact, I've just upgraded my SLR and one of the major pluses of the new on is faster continuous shooting!

#3 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ah, thanks, Stokeygirl.

Perhaps I have burst and continuous mixed up. Will have a look!

#4 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 10:10 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I checked this feature for a colleague on Canon SX40 so not sure if its exact same on SX20 but if it is, then on ur menu -you would have an option for continuous with 3 choices- a single rectangle, 3 rectangles or so stacked up and 3 rectangles or so stacked up with an A or a F (sorry for murky details ) written on one edge of the rectangles- the 3rd option is akin to continuous shooting as long as the shutter button is pressed with some kind of continuous focussing as well- the 2nd option is continuous shooting with Focus locked in the first time- I just went through this in 5 minutes so might have it mixed up but I think this is what it was.

You can only access this feature in the P mode.

#5 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi Tanya - thanks for the info.

Yep, that's the setting I was aware of and tested a little on the SX20. Maybe the feature I am looking for is more of a gimmick or, more likely, just not available on my camera. Continuous mode should do the trick though - the only difference is the "BestPic" mode actually took a few pics of before you pressed the button.

#6 savoche

savoche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local time: 04:10 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi,

I believe some Sony compacts have had this functionality, but I can't recall for certain. And it seems the Ricoh GR has it; have a look at the bottom of this page: http://www.angusbear...ifications.aspx

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.