Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Deleting the recent Masai topic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 14,002 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

My apologies for not having acted sooner with regard to the Masai sex tourism topic. My original post in the topic, moving it to the articles section was due to its length, and subject. (Although I will admit to not reading it indepth. And my own knowledge regarding the subject matter is limited.)

Right now, literally moving house, and have very little time, but upon receiving notification from TZbirder, (thankyou), and skimming through some of the follow up comments, thought it was best to remove the topic completely.

If, in future, anyone finds any subject matter distasteful or offensive, (with good reason), please don't hesitate to let me know.

Now, back to look for the five cats who are exploring the new place.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,181 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

African Safaris and Adventures was the company that was maligned by this erroneous post. I emailed them about it and they replied they had not posted the offensive information.

Good luck with the cats, Warden.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#3 Kavey

Kavey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

I'm happy to see it removed, not only was it not original material, but copied and pasted without thought to the source, it was offensive and unfairly used to malign an innocent business. No redeeming qualities at all.
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
--------------------
"I cannot rest from travel; I will drink
Life to the lees."
Alfred Tennyson

#4 Rainbirder

Rainbirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

My apologies for not having acted sooner with regard to the Masai sex tourism topic. My original post in the topic, moving it to the articles section was due to its length, and subject. (Although I will admit to not reading it indepth. And my own knowledge regarding the subject matter is limited.)

Right now, literally moving house, and have very little time, but upon receiving notification from TZbirder, (thankyou), and skimming through some of the follow up comments, thought it was best to remove the topic completely.

If, in future, anyone finds any subject matter distasteful or offensive, (with good reason), please don't hesitate to let me know.

Now, back to look for the five cats who are exploring the new place.

Matt

I'm new on the forum and perhaps haven't earned a right to comment on this but for what it's worth I am in full agreement with what you have done. Such postings have no place on a public forum of this nature and at best are in poor taste though often also have an insidious malicious agenda. It must be a nightmare moderating extensive public forums like Safaritalk and you certainly can't be online 24/7 so there is no need to apologise for this article getting briefly aired; we have a collective responsibility for bringing such matters to your attention!

..............Now back to work on my new publication: An illustrated guide to the lewd lodges of South Luangwa! :rolleyes:

#5 Sverker

Sverker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I saw the subject title and decided not to read it. Probably a good decision ...
Slower is better!

#6 Kavey

Kavey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

It must be a nightmare moderating extensive public forums like Safaritalk and you certainly can't be online 24/7 so there is no need to apologise for this article getting briefly aired; we have a collective responsibility for bringing such matters to your attention!

Exactly, should have added same, as agree 100% with the sentiment.
24/7 moderation is not expected nor necessary. We are all adults, and with the freedom of expression we have here, must come the acceptance and understanding that occasionally unsuitable content may be posted and stay up for a little while before the powers that be are able to access, assess and action!
x
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
--------------------
Life to the lees."
Alfred Tennyson

#7 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

GW -

No aplolgies necessary, I think that you are always on top of things here in ST land!! Goold luck with the move!!

#8 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

No problem rain birder. Ridiculing something in a humorous manner, as some of us did, is a good way to show disapproval too.

I just hope African Safaris and Adventures is not being maligned across the Internet by such offensive material. Great point to suggest it might not have been posted by the company linked.

#9 TZBirder

TZBirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM
  • Category 1:Ecologist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

I do find it strange the company here knows nothing about it as I found the same article on their website when I was checking the original source... It's still there...

And GW, thanks for this, hope the move is OK! I think it was the best option. If I ever have a bored moment perhaps I'll put together a reading list for Maasai culture that has fewer errors and an inoffensive review.

Also, are we all adults? I can't remember if I was asked my age when registering? Certainly I don't think all our readers necessarily are.

Edited by TZBirder, 30 January 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#10 Kavey

Kavey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

Perhaps there are passing visitors who are not all adults, but certainly I'd be willing to bet that all the regular posters are...
Ralph Waldo Emerson
--------------------
Life to the lees."
Alfred Tennyson

#11 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Perhaps there are passing visitors who are not all adults, but certainly I'd be willing to bet that all the regular posters are...

I do my best to behave in an adult-like fashion most of the time, despite some juvenile tendencies that pop up out of nowhere sometimes.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.