Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Vaccination Prices

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lion Fanatic

Lion Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi all

I just received a book the other day, a guide to Tanzania, and I read with interest about all the jabs we will need before we go (the only exception is Yellow Fever - maybe!).

I'm pretty certain that none of these will be covered by my insurance here in the US.

My question to you is, should I have to fork out of my own pocket, how much - roughly - will these cost me?

Thanks in advance.
Colin

#2 yeahyeah

yeahyeah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 03:50 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hi all

I just received a book the other day, a guide to Tanzania, and I read with interest about all the jabs we will need before we go (the only exception is Yellow Fever - maybe!).

I'm pretty certain that none of these will be covered by my insurance here in the US.

My question to you is, should I have to fork out of my own pocket, how much - roughly - will these cost me?

Thanks in advance.
Colin

Hard to say. Probably a few hundred dollars or more. Definitely more if you need to get Yellow Fever. You can call some doctors in your area that specialize in travel and ask how much it would be for such and such vaccine. In addition to the vaccines, there is usually a "consultation" charge.

#3 Lion Fanatic

Lion Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Hard to say. Probably a few hundred dollars or more. Definitely more if you need to get Yellow Fever. You can call some doctors in your area that specialize in travel and ask how much it would be for such and such vaccine. In addition to the vaccines, there is usually a "consultation" charge.

Cheers yeahyeah

That sort of confirms my fears. I was thinking that it would be around $500-600 each.

Good job I've got a tree in the back garden that grows $100 bills. I'd better go and water the thing!

#4 yeahyeah

yeahyeah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Not each. Maybe $500 in total +- $200. Yellow Fever cost me $120. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive.

#5 yeahyeah

yeahyeah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Also some of the vaccines listed you may have gotten at some point in your life so you may not need them. Then there's also required vs recommended. For example, rabbies is listed as recommended for some countries. I passed on that one.

#6 Lion Fanatic

Lion Fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Not each. Maybe $500 in total +- $200. Yellow Fever cost me $120. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive.

What I meant was, that for the missus and me it would be about $500 for each of us. My fault for not making that clear.

I looked at all the vaccinations required for TAN and the ones that I have had in the past have long expired. It's been more than 15 yrs since I've had any of those (fingers crossed that the wife wont need all of them).

Btw, I really enjoyed your trip report. I thought that your adventure was fantastic. London is my home town, and since the wife hasnt been there, we are thinking of doing the same thing as you by staying there for a day instead of hanging around the airport for a load of hours on our way over to Africa. On the way back to the US, we are going to stay in London for a few days so I can show her it a little bit better. If she behaves herself, I may take her to watch a football match.

Thanks for sharing your trip :)

#7 yeahyeah

yeahyeah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Oh ok, gotcha. Have fun, cheers!

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.