See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

Chinese Philanthropists Support Hirola Sanctuary

9 posts in this topic

Reports www.nature.org.

A group of Chinese entrepreneurs is ushering in a new era in conservation philanthropy through a groundbreaking donation to conservation work in Africa.

The donation will be made through the China Global Conservation Fund, which was recently announced by Jack Ma, founder and CEO of Alibaba Group, alongside The Nature Conservancy’s president and CEO Mark Tercek. The fund was initiated by the Conservancy’s China Board of Trustees and is already providing a growing class of Chinese philanthropists with an opportunity to support high-impact conservation projects around the world.

To read the full article click here.

The significance of this goes beyond hirola or the amount of money being donated. If Chinese leaders (be they political or business) begin to acknowledge and tackle environmental issues beyond their borders... possibilities are endless. One of the more positive, heart-warming stories of the year in my book...

Safaridude, whilst I agree it is important, it is a drop in the ocean compared with what China are investing in Africa, but I can't help but wonder, would this not be better spent on PSAs, education, raising awareness and work in China itself?

A very positive story. I think money on education is always worthwhile but an initiative like this will give other projects in China something to focus on. Part of the carrot and stick! Safaridude, is this partly what you were alluding to earlier, if so well done. ;)

GW, I agree wholeheartedly. And luckily, that is being worked on as well -- too premature to announce.

Some happy news. Thanks.

Wow, a whole new species discovered - the Chinese Philanthropist! Almost as rare as the Middle Eastern Philanthropist (Philanthropus dubaiensis, but let's hope P. sinensis will increase in population numbers rapidly.

LionAid, I think the Chinese variety will bear fruit. If not, then we are doomed. :unsure:

There’s an interesting article in today’s Telegraph magazine about a group of Chinese billionaires taken on a safari to Kenya organised by the TNC. Although it's not about hirolas I thought I'd post it here, I think the more Chinese people who go on safari the better though with regard to rhinos which is the main focus of the article It seems that perhaps Vietnam is becoming a far bigger problem than China.

Deadly trade: rhino horn poaching surges

A marked increase in rhino horn poaching has been blamed on the growing Chinese population in Africa. On safari in Kenya, Jessica Hatcher seeks the perspective of some of China's richest and most infuential figures