Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamesP

New Hirola Research

1 post in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've recently returned from Kenya where I was conducting research for my MSc thesis on the hirola population in Tsavo East National Park. The basis of this research was a population survey but there were many other aspects such as a habitat suitability map, awareness surveys and measurements of spoor and dung.

Combined with a survey of the natural population which took place in early 2011 this research gives us a complete picture of the global hirola population. The survey of the natural population found 245 individuals whilst my research found 67 individuals. This means that the global population is around 312 hirola. The Tsavo population remains small but relatively stable whilst the natural population is still in decline.

I've attached my thesis mostly for your interest but please feel free to make comments and ask questions! Feel free to distribute it to anyone who you think may be interested but the copyright is owned by Imperial College London so please don't copy any bits of it.

I've also started a thread in this in the SOS Hirola section.

James

The Tsavo Hirola.pdf