Mana Pools revisited - October 2011

wilddog

In a respones a query.....I think we need to be careful about pack names.

1. The Vundu pack has also been called the Rukomechi pack I think
2. Long pool/Air Strip pack definitely same group
3.Chitake pack is Chitake Pack
4. I have used the name 'Kanga' pack as Doug reported this large pack initially (to my knowledge) in a post he made in ?September.
5. Who are the Nyamatusi pack, could this just be another name for the Kanga Pack?

Interesting that there may be others coming in from Chewore.

In some respects worrying about the names of the packs is probably somewhat irrelevant, as these may all change by next year and we are already seeing possible signs of this with the recent 'Kanga' pack split.

Can't wait to go back!

Edited by wilddog

The reflection in the water is a wonderful shot.

I'd be interested in speculation on the floppy ears and earmite theory too.

Good to know there are another 3 thriving packs and that you saw a splinter pack of 10 adults. Ten is enough to raise pups when they arrive. Was there any mention of how many packs or dogs is sustainable in the area? How about indications that the lion population is on the decline there, which is usually when wild dogs do better?

You were one with the pack! Just amazing.

Thanks Lynn, it was a sensational time and being just me with the guide I was able to inch forward alone, so they settled well. Also I could stay as long as I wanted. The pups were so close when they were chasing the hooded vultures.

A great privilege and made possible be great guiding.

Like Paulo I am unaware of any reduction in lion population but I can fully understand why you asked the question. If I find out anymore will let you know.

My reasons for enquiring are that from my experience in South Africas Kruger National Park , lions tend to disappear very rapidly on seeing humans approaching .

Contrary to this were the lion prides in areas of KNP that traversed regularly by Mozambiquean refugees . Many human skulls & posessions were discovered , I personally saw a few while participating in wilderness trails there . When the Mozambique civil war was in full swing in the mid 80's era , refugees regularly fell prey to lions , as the best time to traverse the KNP was at night - in order to avoid detection as well as to navigate by stars and the lights of South African towns on the perimeter of the KNP .

It seems that an experienced guide is essential as those Mana lions are well habituated .

You are correct in saying that they do not run away as soon as they see us so I suppose you could call that habituated ( perhps I misinterpreted your use of the word) and that posobly makes them more dangerous.

1. In his Trip Report, Paulo was charged by a lioness in Mana in August 2011, it seemed as though she was startled ( Paulo please correct me if I have got this wrong)
  2. I know of another small group who were charged in Chitake area in July while I was there
  3. 12 months ago a man was sadly attcked and killed by lions in the Chtiake area. This latter attack took place at night, when of course the lion is king

You are right, A good guide is essential not only for safety but also to get the best out the safari.

Regarding the floppy ears, another theory is that it is just a genetic trait.

Yes that had occured to me too. Perhaps someone on ST will have the scientific answer.

Edited by wilddog

This was so worth the wait! Fantastic stuff, wilddog. Have to agree that this sounds increasingly like the wild dog capital of Africa these days. Wonder what it is about Mana that is working in favor of these guys?

Also, in your opinion, how many people would you cap these walks at? Clearly, the fewer the better, but how many max you think?

Edited by wilddog

Wonderful report and photos. I love wild dogs and can't wait until my trip to Mana in August. I'm staying at Kanga Camp and Ruchomechi.

Wonderful report and photos. I love wild dogs and can't wait until my trip to Mana in August. I'm staying at Kanga Camp and Ruchomechi.

I think you will have a great time. As you will have seen on all the recent reports on Mana (Paulo, and most recently Yeahyeah) if you want to see dogs Mana is certainly a hotspot.

You might even meet up with Sangeeta and her group who are there during August

I will be looking forward to reading your trip report next year as I have no doubt will other dog addicts.

wildernessman

I enquired earlier ...

"My reasons for enquiring are that from my experience in South Africas Kruger National Park , lions tend to disappear very rapidly on seeing humans approaching ."

Not wanting to hijack this discussion , but please take note :

http://aikona.forumup.com/viewtopic.php?t=669&mforum=aikona

On the Zimbabwe side of the Zambezi river, down stream from lake Kariba is this absolutely beautiful park, teaming with all kinds of wildlife. Unfortunately there has been talk of some "Safari Operators" using meat to lure lion into the camps, which are wild and unfenced, for the 'excitement' of their clients. The result is that some of the lion in the area have lost their fear of humans. Earlier last year 8 people from villages lost their lives to lion attack over a 2 month period and an entire pride of lions was killed under the assumption that they were the purportrators. In November 2010 a Harare businessman was killed whilst taking a late afternoon bush shower in Chitake 2 camp. He was attacked by 5 lion who pounced on him from the nearby bush. His wife and brother in law and a friend heard his screams and jumped into their 4X4 to try to chase the lions off, but it was too late. My point of posting this is to inform anyone thinking of going to Mana Pools to be very, very careful, there have been many scares this year in the park and it's only a matter of time before someone else is taken. And secondly to point out the totally stupid, depraved, disgusting creatures that humans are.

That Safari Operaters who one would think have the overall good of the wild at heart seing that they make their money out of it could do such a thing. But then I guess it is all about money again and screw the animals

Maybe we should start a new thread for this?

My initial response would be don't believe everything you hear/read.

The above quoted is a from a poster on another forum. There is no article quoted. However, if you google Pete Evershed you can find many articles which all mention luring lions with meat, the lion attack at Chitake, and the death of the villagers.

This MSNBC article says that Pete was staying at a fishing camp. I don't think anyone would describe Chitake as a fishing camp.

This article from The Sun (I know, I know it's a tabloid) says 'Zimbabwean Conservation Task Force spokesman Johnny Rodrigues said: "They had spent the day fishing and were just getting cleaned up when the lions struck'. Spent the day fishing? Seems odd, not sure where they would have been fishing.

My only point here is again don't believe everything you hear/read.

The MSNBC article also says, "Some locals attributed the attack to tour operators who have started using meat to lure lions so that tourists can get a close-up look. But a conservation group said lions are having to compete with humans for food, and that eight villagers were killed in similar attacks earlier this year." and the New Zimbabwe states, "Eight villagers were killed in a spate of lion attacks over a period of about two months earlier this year, he said. Those attacks only stopped when a pride of lions was killed. Locals said lions in the area were becoming more daring because they are being lured into camps with meat by tour operators."

Just who are these locals anyway, and where do they live? The BBC states, "Eight villagers were attacked by lions earlier in the year - but 200km to 300km (125 to 185 miles) further down the river" which is nowhere near Mana Pools. There were also some villagers killed by lions in January 2010 (after the Evershed incident) in Kanyemba, close to the borders of the Chewore and Dandi safari areas (I'm approximating 50 miles away from the eastern border of Mana Pools based on google maps).

On top of that, the whole meat luring thing was only accusations from some of the villagers, we don't know how much truth there is behind it.

What is my point in all of this? The original post implies 3 things:

1. Some Mana Pools safari operators are using meat to lure lions into their camps

2. This practice has caused lions to lose their fear of humans

3. The result is one death at Chitake and 8 deaths of villagers.

All of which seem completely unsubstantiated. If someone wants to argue that the lion have lost their fear of humans, people get too close, etc etc fine but the 3 points above I think are off base.

Unfortunately there has been talk of some "Safari Operators" using meat to lure lion into the camps, which are wild and unfenced, for the 'excitement' of their clients. The result is that some of the lion in the area have lost their fear of humans.

I agree with others - this should be in a new thread, so as to not unfairly highjack someone's trip report. But when you do start a new thread, please provide some evidence of this frankly outrageous inference.

wildernessman

I agree that the discussion should be moved to its own thread .

Irrespective of the details (incidentally which I did not quote) regarding lion baiting or if the persons mentioned were irresponsible in showering at night or the description of the camps I finally wish to point out that the human / lion interaction pictured is most uncharacteristic of truly wild lion , the behaviour shown in the photos is obviously a result of human habituation and is probably a large contributor to lions destruction resulting from attacks on humans .

Sorry to say that in my opinion the pictures perhaps set a bad example to those uninitiated as to how humans should interact with wild animals .

Edited by wildernessman

Back to the trip, how many people were on your walks?

Back to the trip, how many people were on your walks?

The guide, myself and one other. Basically I was the sole customer. The approach was always cautious, slow and close to the ground. Taking time is important in my experience.

• 2 months later...

I very much appreciate your posting. My wife and I are planning to visit Mana Pools in September of 2013 and I want you to know you have made the next 17 months very difficult. I especially enjoyed the info and advice about walking. I have done some in other parts of Africa and have never had a very good experience (one reason we selected Mana Pools this time) and am quite sure we have made a good choice. Thanks again.

I very much appreciate your posting. My wife and I are planning to visit Mana Pools in September of 2013 and I want you to know you have made the next 17 months very difficult. I especially enjoyed the info and advice about walking. I have done some in other parts of Africa and have never had a very good experience (one reason we selected Mana Pools this time) and am quite sure we have made a good choice. Thanks again.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. You have no doubt read the other 2011 Mana reports from Paulo and YeahYeah. I am sure you will throughly enjoy your own experience there in 2013. Have you got your itinerary fixed? I would be interested to hear your plans.

I am hoping to get back there myself this September/October and then again in 2013. Perhaps we will meet up for a sundowner Zambezi side.:)