Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Mana Pools revisited - October 2011

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Local time: 03:43 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

At the beginning of October I was fortunate enough to be in a position to return to Mana Pools for 4 nights. As I was heading in from Lusaka where I wsa met at the Chirundu border post by my guide, Doug ,and we then drove down into Mana Pools to Vundu Camp where I was to stay for the next 4 nights.

This camp is towards the Rukomechi River and distant from Mucheni 4 were I spent 3 days in July. It proved to be an excellent launch point for the next few days.

The main boma had a large open area on the first floor which included the bar, lounge and dining area, allowing a pleasant through breeze in the hot afternoons. There is a braii area to one side of the boma with comfortable armchairs around the fire and breakfast is normally taken here. The accommodation is in large cabins nestling amongst the trees close to the river bank. The attached bathroom is large and open. Warm water is delivered every morning for washing before the first drive and hot showers are available as required.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As the dry season has progressed it is noticeable that some of the pans are now without water and this means that all the animals come to the river. The concentration of wildlife is high and we came across most of the usual suspects in the area including the herds of eland which Paulo mentioned in his visit in August but which were not so evident in July.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In addition we found this Kudu who seemed to have taken up cigar smoking.............................

Posted Image

Why would he be chewing the sausage tree fruit? any ideas? vitamins?

This section is a bit short but I am experiencing a few technical problems so.............Yet to come elephants, lions and wilddogs.

Edited by wilddog, 07 November 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#2 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Great start and pics.I hope to see some Canoeing action too :)

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#3 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Not this time Russell.. Did 6 days canoeing down the Zambezi a few years ago. This was very much a walking safari. Glad you like it so far.

Edited by wilddog, 07 November 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#4 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,329 posts
  • Local time: 04:43 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

An excellent start! Thanks for sharing.

As to the eland herds, if I recall correctly you had visited Mana Pools for the first time this year at the beginning of July. We were there at the end of August, and they were already plentiful. i had reports throughout September and October that elend were practically everywhere.

Did you see any nyala? Again, we have been quite lucky with nyala sightings, since it was already quite dry. Normally nyala stick more to the central and eastern pa rts of Mana (thus not close to Vundu) but we also saw a young male along the Ruckomechi river (a bit inland, though).

I guess that you had the Southern Carmine Bee-eaters in full swing!

Looking forward to more.

Edited by Paolo, 07 November 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#5 Shreyas

Shreyas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 PM
  • Category 1:Environmentalist
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

Have always been keen to know more about the Vundu area, so am glad for your report. I believe this area is pretty rich in Wild Dogs, hope you had your share of the sightings, wilddog ;)
Great pics...look forward to more!

#6 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

@Paulo yes numbers of eland greatly increased towards the shoreline since my last visit. Easy to find and in large groups. Previously I just saw one or two. No Nyala - but we remained cl;ose the shorline for all out drives walks. I understnd they are not commonly seen in this area even at this time of year, but am no expert.

@Shreyas - yes dogs everyday. more info to follow in subsequernt sections of report which are currently being prepared.

#7 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,585 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Great start wilddog and really look forward to reading more- we have 5 days in Little Vundu and its so great to know more about it.

#8 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,102 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Cigar-chewing kudu?? Honestly, with all the amazing pics that are posted here, we don't need to go anywhere else for our laughs :D

"Laugh of the Day" contest is a tie today between cigar-chewing kudu and pault's sceptical hyena pup! :P

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#9 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,453 posts
  • Local time: 12:13 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Great start. You have to wonder what these animals eat sometimes, when you see such dry conditions.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#10 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Elephants

The concentration of elephants was very high, with numerous large bulls and small cow herds all trying to find sufficient food to survive until the rains and of course to get regular drinking water. As the afternoon wore on the numbers of elephants increased and sometimes we could see 4 or 5 bulls all fairly close to us, making their way to the river.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There constant presence around every corner meant we had to take great care whilst walking,

Posted Image

One small elephant had kindly carried his mother's snack of water hyacinth on his back as he had left the pool and she had no hesitation in helping herself.

Posted Image

When in the vehicle we had many close, but tranquil encounters with the bulls as they stretched up to reach an acacia pod high in the trees

Posted Image

Posted Image

or passed us by slowly, casting one eye in our direction and with a toss of the head to show us who was boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1po5QXPZDA

Times are tough and one morning when a calf tried to approach a bull elephant that had pulled some high branches down. The bull trumpeted and turned in the calf, who beat a hasty retreat. I am pleased to say that the calf did manage to sneak behind the bull and found an acacia pod the bull had missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqOc59jzR0

Posted Image

Edited by wilddog, 09 November 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#11 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,102 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

Wilddog, are you really lying down on the hood of the vehicle as the elephant passes by in that video??! Or did I totally imagine that?

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#12 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Not my legs, Sangeeta, but a friend traveling in the front seat propped her feet up on the dash board, the elephant was not bothered. We kept still and quiet as he walked past up so we did spook him; a lovely moment.

By the way the lion and wilddog sections are nearly ready but I am away in Egypt at the moment so you can expect these to be uploaded in about 10 days. I hope you will think they are worth the wait!

#13 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

The main focus of the four days was to find, and spend time, with and the lions and wild dog. We spent each day looking for both species and were successful each time. Once located, we got down from the game vehicle and carried on foot. The main risk during this walks was bumping in to elephants that were around every corner.

The Lions

• A pride of 11 lions, which I had seen earlier this year comprising 2 males one darker than the other.
  • A mother and daughter group who lived apart form the others but were currently being visited by the darker maned lion from the main pride.
We found the mother and daughter group at dusk early in one evening guarding a recently killed buffalo. We are able to get quite close remaining at the rear of a tree and sitting on some fallen branches. The younger lioness was by the carcass, the mother I later discovered, when I went down the bank to take a sunset shot, was down the bank away from the carcass. You can just see her resting, to the right of the sunset image.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We saw mum and daughter together at the carcass again the following morning.

Posted Image

After this second visit we walked back to the car and found the tracks of 2 very large crocodiles and evidence of an earlier kill, probably a wilddog kill, although it was under a tree so could also have been a leopard kill. The carcass had been removed by the crocodiles to enjoy their ill gotten gains in a safer place

The first morning that we found the main pride, minus the dark maned male, walking through the bush.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Briefly the male rested under a tree but then the rest of the pride walked past so we got down from the vehicle and followed them on foot, crouching as we progressed and squatting down behind convenient trees, bushes or termite mounds when we stopped. Although we were noticed, in particular by one female, they carried on about their business,
seemingly wanting to hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ08z_0vfQ8

A little later they all stopped and rested under a tree, presumably giving up in their hunt and resting for the day. A little later a small cow herd came towards them at which point all the youngsters beat a hasty retreat leaving the male and two females to face the elephants it is not often I have seen lions looking sheepish, but they certainly did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another morning we found the pride, with the lighter maned lion, resting up on one bank of a dry river bed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As we moved forward we spotted the second dark maned male walking on the other side of the river bank, heading towards the main pride presumably a free meal with his lady friends.

Posted Image

We walked slowly down the river bed, being watched with some interest. As we got nearer we took to the ground and slowly shuffled along on our behinds, edging ever closer. Once we felt we were close enough, we just sat in the river bed enjoying the experience, with the lone male on our right and the main pride on our left.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by wilddog, 28 November 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#14 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,725 posts
  • Local time: 09:43 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

Exciting times in Mana Pools! You were outnumbered on the walk with lions. The lions seem aware of you, but not too interested--typical cat behavior. I'm glad the baby ele came out of the altercation ok. I saw impala eating the fallen sausages so I am guessing there are nutrients. Certainly a lot of fiber.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#15 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,725 posts
  • Local time: 09:43 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

I also wanted to mention that normally I don't like to watch somebody eat with their mouth open. Your ele eating leaves shot is an exception. Great work.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#16 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

I also wanted to mention that normally I don't like to watch somebody eat with their mouth open. Your ele eating leaves shot is an exception. Great work.

Thanks Lynn. It does give a slightly different view!

#17 wildernessman

wildernessman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Local time: 02:43 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

It appears you were able to spend quite some time at close quarters , the lions seem to have become accustomed to humans , more so than i have thus far experienced ?

I have walked more than 1000km in the "big 5" wilderness .

#18 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

It appears you were able to spend quite some time at close quarters , the lions seem to have become accustomed to humans , more so than i have thus far experienced ?

Mana Pools is well known as a walking destination so perhaps there may be some element of lions having seen people on foot before but my guess is this is only a small part of it. I do not believe that the lions there are any less dangerous than in other safari areas.

Key points for me are:-

1. I was accompanied by a professional guide, Doug Macdonald, who has been working in Mana for many years and who knows the area well and has great experience of being close to animals on foot.

2. Mana is a relatively quiet area in terms of numbers of people around.

a. On one occasion with the 2 females there were 2 other people there who also had a professional guide. The rest of the time we were alone
b. When with the pride there was no one else there, either when we walked with the lions or when we were in the river bed.

3. We were only a small group, myself, my guide and one other so we were not perceived as intimidating or threatening.

a. In the video we were walking parallel to them; not walking towards them or following them.
b. In the later situation in the river bed the main pride was already settled for the day with the exception of dark maned male whom we allowed to settle before we made our final move forward, scudding forward in a seated position. When the photo was taken my guide was watching both groups of lions very carefully. This was the closest we got. We then retreated and left them in peace.

4. My guide carries a firearm but I never felt that I was put in a dangerous position. More importantly I understand he has never had to use it to defuse a situation.

5. Some visitors walk without a guide but I only saw this near wilddog packs. I have to say the benefits of having a professional guide with you in Mana are enormous and will ensure a great experience.

Edited by wilddog, 01 December 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#19 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,329 posts
  • Local time: 04:43 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Mana Pools is well known as a walking destination so perhaps there may be some element of lions having seen people on foot before but my guess is this is only a small part of it. I do not believe that the lions there are any less dangerous than in other safari areas.

Key points for me are:-

1. I was accompanied by a professional guide, Doug Macdonald, who has been working in Mana for many years and who knows the area well and has great experience of being close to animals on foot.

2. Mana is a relatively quiet area in terms of numbers of people around.

a. On one occasion with the 2 females there were 2 other people there who also had a professional guide. The rest of the time we were alone
b. When with the pride there was no one else there, either when we walked with the lions or when we were in the river bed.

3. We were only a small group, myself, my guide and one other so we were not perceived as intimidating or threatening.

a. In the video we were walking parallel to them; not walking towards them or following them.
b. In the later situation in the river bed the main pride was already settled for the day with the exception of dark maned male whom we allowed to settle before we made our final move forward, scudding forward in a seated position. When the photo was taken my guide was watching both groups of lions very carefully. This was the closest we got. We then retreated and left them in peace.

4. My guide carries a firearm but I never felt that I was put in a dangerous position. More importantly I understand he has never had to use it to defuse a situation.

5. Some visitors walk without a guide but I only saw this near wilddog packs. I have to say the benefits of having a professional guide with you in Mana are enormous and will ensure a great experience.

For what is worth, my experience in Mana Pools reflects 100% what wilddog says.

A top professional guide is the most important asset to a succesful safari, particularly when you spend time approaching big game on foot.

#20 wildernessman

wildernessman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Local time: 02:43 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

My reasons for enquiring are that from my experience in South Africas Kruger National Park , lions tend to disappear very rapidly on seeing humans approaching .
Contrary to this were the lion prides in areas of KNP that traversed regularly by Mozambiquean refugees . Many human skulls & posessions were discovered , I personally saw a few while participating in wilderness trails there . When the Mozambique civil war was in full swing in the mid 80's era , refugees regularly fell prey to lions , as the best time to traverse the KNP was at night - in order to avoid detection as well as to navigate by stars and the lights of South African towns on the perimeter of the KNP .

It seems that an experienced guide is essential as those Mana lions are well habituated .

I have walked more than 1000km in the "big 5" wilderness .

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.