Ol Pejeta and Olare Orok October 2011

pault

AMAZING report and photos. I looked at all the beautiful photos but have not read all the text.. was guide/manager Sean Hartley still apart of Olare Orok?

Thanks, Brian. The name Sean Hartley rings a bell, but I don't think ha has anything to do with Kicheche, where I stayed.

Pault- I've been following this all along and want to thank you so much for your report. I know how much work (fun) it is to putting a report together (getting a chance to re-live it).

Love the pictures, your added touch to them and the way you tell your story.

My fav pic has to be the one with a cheetah and leopard in the same picture (tortoise that is).

Always good to hear of wild dogs in Ol Pejeta (east Africa in general).

Hope your still dry at home and a soon return to Africa, thanks again for sharing,

Tracker

Edited by tracker

Wonderful report, thanks for sharing! x

And thank you both for commenting in the course of it.

I want to start again now. :D

And thank you both for commenting in the course of it.

I want to start again now. :D

EDIT: Why are all my posts coming out doubled?! :blink:

Edited by pault

Thank you Cosmuic Rhino... presumably what you are desacribing is what happened in 2004 or 2005?

no it was purchased within the last year or 2

lewa does carrying capacity studies grevys zebras and rhinos have priority

other animals get moved from time to govt nat parks, pvt reserves or community conservancies

• 1 month later...

Love this report! Finally had time to finish. The photos are sooo delicious. The jackal pups would have kept me distracted all day.

So sad about the cubs. I understand about not wanting to post too many pictures of them.

I look forward to your next trip - this was a great read. Thank you!

We are off 2 weeks from today!

We are off 2 weeks from today!

Have a fantastic time, I wish I was coming with you

• 2 months later...

as a newbie, it was recommended that I read a few trip reports and specifically this one....Wow....It is nearly midnight here and the images and the stories have my heart pumping so fast I will never get to sleep..quite a gift you have with your images and stories....now if I can figure out how to get such a trip! but I will have to get John Grisham, the popular author, to write the trip report so it comes close to your standards...

Ha, Mosquito, I told you it was a good one!! :D

• 11 months later...
SafariChick

That sceptical hyena pup had me in splits! Oh boy, this gets better and better...

I'm reading this report for the first time, and I also loved the skeptical hyena pup (among other things)!

• 4 weeks later...
michael-ibk

Wonderful reading, and stunning pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you @@michael-ibk. I'll have to catch up with your report too - one of many waiting after such a long time "off" from following Safaritalk.

COSMIC RHINO

Ol P looks better away from Sweetwaters

glad that you had a good time

when I was there the main emphasis was on the area nearby which did not have many animals there ,.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read you TR from start to finish. What a gifted story teller you are. And such photography skills. Equally gifted there too.

This is brilliant, thanks for posting such a fantastic report, your photos are stunningly good.

• 2 months later...

Just re read this start to finish and need to remind you @@pault that you have some missing photos to add to the report. Just in case you forgot! :D

Just re read this start to finish and need to remind you @@pault that you have some missing photos to add to the report. Just in case you forgot! :D

I do? What did I promise?

I better check!

Ah.... I see. Well I didn't promise but I did lead you on! I'll check.

We have faith in you Paul

Unfortunately I cannot add additional photos in to the report. Not sure that it'll be any help unless you are reading on two screens, but I'll try to identify the location and day.

I haven't found much time to upload additional shots, but to start with, here are some that I have already stored online.There are a few.

One more from the leopard kill crossing on Day 8. It doesn't show the leopard (none did) but it shows you where the leopard was (roughly just out of the bottom of the picture towards the left) and also the view we had of the crossing. If only it hadn't been midday - the very bright dry grasses and very dark, wet wildebeest are only really viewable in black and whitre -barely.

i-DT5PrfG-L.jpg

Mummy's boy - the clean-up crew in action shortly afterwards.

i-3tRrDrV-L.jpg

A couple more jackal shots from the last morning

i-TbTSwQk-L.jpg

i-hFCvQcQ-L.jpg

Day 9 DIk Dik

i-cshDD4L-L.jpg

Day 9 larger lion cubs on the move

i-76Z47bL-L.jpg

Day 9 Leopard cub descending

i-xLT8SHS-L.jpg

And later, in twilight, on the ground, after the other vehicles arrived.

i-J6fMjSx-L.jpg

And the last of the Day 9 light

i-FHbrG3P-L.jpg

Not sure when this is from, but I think it was Day 9

i-KvxCrkt-L.jpg

This is a view from our tent at Kicheche Laikipia, just after lunch.

i-FhDbBPm-L.jpg

From the second day at Ol Pejeta, when the cheetahs smelled those mating lions just in time and sat down... I forgot to mention that it started to rain at that time, although as the next pictures taken (at breakfast) shows, it cleared up quickly and beautifully! I'll recover another breakfast pic from my computer later for easy comparison.

i-FztnmXf-L.jpg

And a couple of bonus shots of the hyena pups on the fifth day at Ol Pejeta ("sceptical" and gang) to end this first "trip report extension"

i-r7RcGtS-L.jpg

i-wqQvt5Z-L.jpg

Edited by pault

The last of the Day 9 light looks like a gorgeous painting. I can see that very easily on my wall... Truly lovely.

And how lovely to see sceptical & gang one more time!

Game Warden

Fantastic shots @@pault - I love the jackal pups :)